Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god I've been waiting for this!!

DF on Teardown
Teardown came out of nowhere for me, I absolutely love the graphical style and physics. It's one of those engines where I wish it was like Minecraft so I make my owns games with mods. :yes:

Looks cool, I wonder if you could keep innovating on this engine to make the "voxel bricks" become smaller until you get a much more realistic looking world....

I think n^3 scaling and cost of synchronizing that over network puts some pretty hard limits on what this can be useful for.

May we see first DF next gen faceoff today ?
Would they already have access to next gen patches for games like dirt 5 and ACV ?

BC looks great, this was my main point. How will BC be because I want my games to work over multiple gens, glad it looks as good as it does. Hitman is interesting, locked 60fps 1440p, 50-60fps on XSX in 4K resolution.

Sekiro locked at 60fps! Will replay this thing as soon as I get PS5.

EDIT.
ACs drop heavily in PS5 version hmm

Last edited:
DF BC Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-backwards-compatibility-tested

PlayStation 5 backwards compatibility tested - and it's fantastic
Key PS4 and Pro games run better than they ever have before

It's one of the most crucial components of the PlayStation 5 experience - and yet right up until today's review embargo, we knew so little about it. Just how good is the backwards compatibility feature in the new console? Are we getting the same experience on legacy titles, including their performance limitations? Or is the news more positive: does PlayStation 5 mirror Xbox Series X's remarkable ability to dramatically improve existing games? Today, the mystery is finally solved and there's good news: PlayStation 5 backwards compatibility is excellent.

While there's the sense that it is a little rough around the edges in some scenarios and doesn't enjoy the full range of bonus extras Microsoft lavishes on Series X, PlayStation 5 has got it where it counts. If a game runs with an unlocked frame-rate or has the option to disengage a 30fps cap, you get the same transformative experience that you get on Xbox Series X. In fact, for reasons we'll go into later, the performance multiplier is actually higher when stacking up PS5 vs PS4 Pro against Series X vs One X. On top of that, there's the same revelatory increase in CPU performance too, meaning that the often lacklustre 'high frame-rate' modes seen in many PS4 Pro games now all lock to 60 frames per second.

Expected more from spiderman and less from BC. So, BC actually is just as good as on XSX regarding performance/settings (if not better?).

PlayStation 5 Backwards Compatibility Tested
This is the surprise that I am not that surprised about because I thought this would be what the surprise may be. :yes: Mostly because this is not really Sony's thing, PS4 Pro boost mode was fairly pedestrian and we know Sony gave devs super-low level access to PS4 hardware that thinned abstracted absurdly which make retrofitting optimisations that more challenging.

In his Road to the PS5 presentation Mark Cerny said "backwards compatibility was handled masterfully by AMD they treated it as a key need throughout the design process" so I'm attributing most of this to AMD. Well done, AMD. :yes:

Expected more from spiderman and less from BC. So, BC actually is just as good as on XSX regarding performance/settings (if not better?).

As DF says, its missing the additional improvements such as 16x AF and AutoHDR option. But from a performance perspective, since the 4Pro had lower limits on what performance it could deliver, the performance jump to PS5 is larger.

As DF says, its missing the additional improvements such as 16x AF and AutoHDR option. But from a performance perspective, since the 4Pro had lower limits on what performance it could deliver, the performance jump to PS5 is larger.

Yeah, I guess we should have expected that but I wasn't expecting PS5 to run PS4 games anywhere near as well as it does. Spectrum of architectural improvements aside, Series X is pushing twice the flops of One X, whereas PS5 is around 2.5x of Pro so it's hitting it's lower GPU upper-limit less often. This video has demonstrated a mishmash of results where some games run better on PS5 because of design decisions made for PS4/Pro scaling better and some games run better on Series X presumably just because it's more powerful and Microsoft's b/c is more mature - and better.

I had hoped, perhaps unrealistically, that both machines would have done a better job at upscaling older games particularly those running at 900p and 1080p and locked 30fps games will forever be a menaces I guess. The results of Assassin's Creed Unity on PS5 were interesting. I wish DF had also tried Red Dead Redemption, GTA V, Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us Part II because why the hell wouldn't you run those last two!!! :runaway: I'm assuming they'll do more substantive videos on those games before and after PS5 patches.

And I'm still looking forward to see the I/O performance of PS4 games running from an external SSD so I'll know if that 4Tb Samsung QVO was a good purchase or not. :runaway:

Won't get chance to read or watch this for couple hours.
But sounds pretty much how I said and expected it would turn out.

The real slam dunk would've been if MS was able to do more with the XSS.

And still waiting on the double framerate and resolution that they was talking about.
Couple key games would really have big impact.

I'm curious about what other games might be having the Assasins Creed issue. If it's just them then not so bad...but if it's extended to some other big games it would be annoying.

Also curious how BC mode translates to the DualSense in terms of the haptics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back