AMD Radeon VII Announcement and Discussion

Thanks for the update Ryan. Still boggles the mind that RTG's communication is so lackluster.

At least for FP64, a GCN product can readily adjust the rate from the silicon's physical rate to as low as 1/16 after manufacturing. It's possible there was some late-stage wavering on the specific rate as various parties argued for one direction or another. The messaging could reflect the unsettled internal debates.

Possibly it was settled with bare-knuckle boxing, depending on how beat up did some of the sources looked. ;)

hello folks, reading least 2 posts from web saying Radeon 7 do not support crossfire, is that true?!

do not understand why AMD doing this, since i am a dual Vega64 owner.

there is no point of upgrade since some title scaling CF quiet good. a single Radeon 7 only offer 25% performance boost?

if i understand correctly Instinct MIx0 was designed for data center with 1TB/s memory bandwidth. How gaming or desktop app drain that from Radeon 7?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I finally have the Radeon VII FP64 performance matter sorted out with AMD.

Contrary to earlier statements, it is being throttled. Radeon VII's rate will be 1:8, versus Vega 20's native 1:2 rate. So if you want the max rate, you're still going to have to buy MI50/MI60 or whatever Radeon Pro card they eventually come out with.

It is notable though that 1:8 is still twice the native FP64 rate of all other Vegas. So it'll still be a lot faster at FP64 operations than Vega 56/Vega 64.

Not a bad decision imho. Will make FP64 usable, but nowhere near enough to cannibalize Pro cards.
And as a bonus reviewers can throw in 1 or 2 benchmarks showcasing this advantage vs the competition

$699 for 16GB of HBM2 tells me AMD might need a trick or two.

Last edited:
Back