AMD Radeon VII Announcement and Discussion

Unboxing days are useless.

Or at least they were, until nvidia started gluing connectors to the heatsinks to prevent people from using 3rd-party coolers. Now everyone wants to know if the next card is using glue too.
And now AMD gets praise for.. not fucking up at that.

Regardless, they're still stupid.

The guys from tweaktown say people will be positively surprised about performance, and tomshardware says "Radeon VII is fast. Radeon VII is loud.

What do you mean?
Unboxing: taking a graphics card out of the box.

Teardown: taking the cooler out of the card to study the heatsink, fans and PCB components (VRMs, capacitors, etc.).

The guys from tweaktown say people will be positively surprised about performance, and tomshardware says "Radeon VII is fast. Radeon VII is loud.
Not to get anyone's hopes up, the performance in AMD's own internal numbers (which represent their best cases) show the card to be slightly slower than RTX 2080. The card will be especially slower @1440p. 4K will equalize things a bit, but it's moot point as both cards can't handle 4K max settings anyway.

Unboxing: taking a graphics card out of the box.

Teardown: taking the cooler out of the card to study the heatsink, fans and PCB components (VRMs, capacitors, etc.).
I know what the difference is... obviously given my previous post. I don't know what he means by not under unboxing NDA.

Unboxing days are useless.

Or at least they were, until nvidia started gluing connectors to the heatsinks to prevent people from using 3rd-party coolers. Now everyone wants to know if the next card is using glue too.
And now AMD gets praise for.. not fucking up at that.

Regardless, they're still stupid.

Here is an unboxing and tear down:

All the PR answers about Ray Tracing support do seem hint at AMD not wanting to have dedicated HW (ala RT Cores) for it..time stamped link:
With the way he describes it, AMD is not going to offer hardware ray tracing for a long time. Navi is definitely devoid of DXR.

All the PR answers about Ray Tracing support do seem hint at AMD not wanting to have dedicated HW (ala RT Cores) for it..time stamped link:

Or PR way of saying "well, we didn't think about it, so we won't have any product with it for a while".

It's not that they don't want it, just that they don't have any arch with it...

All the PR answers about Ray Tracing support do seem hint at AMD not wanting to have dedicated HW (ala RT Cores) for it.
oooohh... i really hope they keep going without it. Only chance to proof it's not necessary.
Give me that VII, and i'll show you! :D

TBH, AMD should figure out their GCN-replacement architecture to actually be competitive in traditional workloads first. Features like the RT-stuff can be iterated on later.

I agree, but they can't stay one or two generation behind for ever... I hope te increase in R&D will help them catching up... And Intel is coming too...

I know what the difference is... obviously given my previous post. I don't know what he means by not under unboxing NDA.
Oh you're right sorry. I tend to skip reading the previous posts when using the phone.

I think @CarstenS is just saying that teardowns should always be allowed on unboxing days.
I don't know if nvidia allows that nowadays, because of how terrible the teardown is for their reference cards (a hundred screws, glue that needs a heat gun, etc.).

I think @CarstenS is just saying that teardowns should always be allowed on unboxing days.
I don't know if nvidia allows that nowadays, because of how terrible the teardown is for their reference cards (a hundred screws, glue that needs a heat gun, etc.).
Ah yes, agreed they should be. Nvidia definitely didn't want a teardown of RTX prior to release but they screwed up and it happened anyway.

It's not that they don't want it, just that they don't have any arch with it...
Why do you think that they want it? During the entire history of 3D acceleration ATI's/AMD's approche was exactly opposite. They promotet unified shaders instead of specialized pixel shader ALUs and specialized vertex shader ALUs. They removed SFU and used GP units instead. They have never used separated FP64 or FP16 units. They clearly prefer unified approach.

Why do you think that they want it? During the entire history of 3D acceleration ATI's/AMD's approche was exactly opposite. They promotet unified shaders instead of specialized pixel shader ALUs and specialized vertex shader ALUs. They removed SFU and used GP units instead. They have never used separated FP64 or FP16 units. They clearly prefer unified approach.

Because in case of RT, I don't see how they can have similar performances without dedicated hardware, with this generation of shader units.
Maybe they won't call it "rt cores", but they will have to do something on the hardware side to have good performances vs nVidia.

With the way he describes it, AMD is not going to offer hardware ray tracing for a long time. Navi is definitely devoid of DXR.

Once again, (& I was reprimanded from a moderator for reminding you last time) that Microsoft's DirectX Raytracing only requires Asynchronous Compute (ie: A-sync). Even Nvidia's own slides show the RTX using Microsoft's DXR's ray tracing, in use. The thing is, Nvidia never really pushed Microsoft's DX12, or DXR because Pascal (ie: 1080ti, etc) can not do real a-sync compute. It is interesting to note, that now that Nvidia's GPU's support real async, that somehow DX12 and thus DXR have become ultra important talking point.

The believe the Gaming Industry is glad that AMD (a GPU manufacturer) is not making specific hardware for raytracing, when they can just use compute & Direct X.

The thing is, Nvidia never really pushed Microsoft's DX12, or DXR because Pascal (ie: 1080ti, etc) can not do real a-sync compute. It is interesting to note, that now that Nvidia's GPU's support real async, that somehow DX12 and thus DXR have become ultra important talking point.
The thing is, AMD never really pushes RTRT because GCN can not do RTRT. It is interesting to note, that when AMD GPUs eventually support RTRT, that somehow will become ultra important talking point.

Back