AMD Radeon VII Announcement and Discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ToTTenTranz, Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. DavidGraham

Veteran

2. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Isn't the embargo lifted tomorrow? Can't we just wait until then?

3. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Lightman likes this.
  4. DavidGraham

Veteran

5. fehu

Veteran Regular

Radeon VII ALWTE

6. JoeJ

Regular Newcomer

I assume it still has the same 'broken binning rasterizer' issues as Vega? Is there any information on this?

Look at this: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13923/the-amd-radeon-vii-review/15
    I like that! <3
    But those compute benches are always just a minor function - almost like throwing a dice. There really is a need for a proper benchmark here. You can just compare GCN vs. GCN but not AMD vs. NV, similar as with TFLOP numbers.

7. ToTTenTranz

I'm a wizard.

BIOS may be several months old. Changing a single value in the configuration doesn't mean the microcode wasn't final.
    Regardless, this might be a hint at the possibility of a simple BIOS hack enabling 1:2 FP64 throughput.

nnunn, w0lfram and Lightman like this.
  8. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Didnt look so good for the Radeon VII in a swedish review atleast. The mid-end Navi might perform even less but perhaps better price/watt/performance ratio.

9. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Demand must be large. Already sold out in germany.

BRiT and Tarkin1977 like this.
  10. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Compute benches are utterly useless and ridiculous (especially the ones I'm seeing in most reviews) The type of workload being run has a gigantic impact on the processing time and the GPU architecture. I can run the same one an AMD GPU & NV GPU and have the AMD GPU get totally obliterated by the NV But have a different workload (usually more complex one) run 2x as fast on CGN gpus...Thoses reviews are as good as useless..

Also of note, it fares quite a bit better under Linux..
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=radeon-vii-linux&num=11
    "When looking at the geometric mean of all the OpenCL benchmarks carried out, the Radeon VII was 12% faster than the GeForce RTX 2080 and a 52% improvement in compute performance compared to the Radeon RX Vega 64."

#270 Ike Turner, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    BRiT, w0lfram and Lightman like this.
  11. JoeJ

Regular Newcomer

Yes, exactly. I can trust only my own numbers, but my GPUs are out of date finally. Curious about Turing. Integer and floating point ops in parallel could be some gain.

These benchmarks are surely better: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-vii-vega-20-7nm,5977-4.html
    This is some real workloads, not just a prefix sum or some simple diffusion.
    But i doubt those guys spend the necessary work on optimization as it is common in games, and ind if so unlikely for both vendors or even multiple gens. So useless too :(

12. Rootax

Regular Newcomer

I'll like to see the average frequencies... If the Vega 64 is averaging 1350-1450, and vega 7 1800, some of the gain can come from that. I'm wondering if the core frequency or the memory bandwidth is more important in those gains.

13. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Nope their LuxMark results for the Radeon VII are totally bogus (compared to the ones in AMD's review guide, AnandTech and even my 4 years old FuryX). For example the Neumann workload should be around 30K on Radeon VII not 19K, Lobby should be around 7.7K not 6.2K etc... Never trust benchmarks unless you run them yourself.

BRiT and JoeJ like this.
  14. fehu

Veteran Regular

Anand has done iso frequency benchmarks

Alexko likes this.
  15. ToTTenTranz

Performance is in line with what AMD showed at CES.
    Drivers aren't great yet, and Wattman just isn't working with the card.

Though it seems the Radeon VII is a lot more overly-volted than (even) Vega 64:

[​IMG]

These results are ridiculous. It's like AMD are shooting themselves in the foot by using unnecessary core voltages.
    Perhaps when auto-undervolting works in the drivers, most cards will actually get efficiency numbers similar to Turing.

I wasn't expecting to see large differences between the two GPUs at ISO frequencies, but I'm even more surprised by that huge >30% difference in GTA V. That 5 year-old game seems to be swallowing bandwidth like a wale.

no-X, Lightman and BRiT like this.
  16. Ryan Smith

Regular Subscriber

Unfortunately unless someone has pulled out a late surprise, we're all going to be waiting a bit. AMD's SMU changes mean that the usual logging tools don't work.

BRiT likes this.
  17. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Yeah, my VEGA FE chucks along at 950mV compared to the standard 1200mV.

Will be interesting seeing more tests with undervolting.

18. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

Seems like its already out of stock at newegg.

19. w0lfram

Newcomer

Exactly^
    They are leveraging their strengths! But somehow AMD never seems to use their marketing to sell gimmicks. And that Nvidia's (proprietary) DLSS and RT cores will be replaced by Industry standards with DX12's async DXR & DirectML in games.

As for which card is better at $699..? Which game do you play and at what resolution? Both Nvidia & AMD trade blows back & forth on every review in every game. My take? They are equal. (unless you need FP64, 1/4)

I would like to make a note. Nvidia is highly promoting Battlefield 5 (I got free copy with my rtx2080), & they use BF5 in all their marketing and Nvidia's logo is even on BF5's own Marketing material. (And that Nvidia's BF5 driver's are polished)

And look at all the BF5 reviews released today...