Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct here. I was conflating DirectML with WinML.

Also, playing a bit of Devil's Advocate. I am actually leaning towards there being dedicated hardware for each of these in the next MS console, though I don't consider it certain.
no worries, I just thought it was being leveraged in a way I didn't know.
I've never cared about compute power until I actually started training on my laptop. Real analysis is mega slow and I can see now why the pricing goes up like crazy. We have a PC with a GPU locked away and it's spending (I believe a Titan) a solid week grinding out its latest model for customer churn.

I've got a significantly smaller project on our team and we don't even have real gear.
This is a nightmare, my laptop won't stop crashing for such a small data set.
I don't have a GPU either lol those intel iGPUs aren't looking so silly to me anymore. Sigh.

Fortunately there is an available hadoop server in our organization but not yet sure what the limitations of it are.

no worries, I just thought it was being leveraged in a way I didn't know.
I've never cared about compute power until I actually started training on my laptop. Real analysis is mega slow and I can see now why the pricing goes up like crazy. We have a PC with a GPU locked away and it's spending (I believe a Titan) a solid week grinding out its latest model for customer churn.

I've got a significantly smaller project on our team and we don't even have real gear.
This is a nightmare, my laptop won't stop crashing for such a small data set.
I don't have a GPU either lol those intel iGPUs aren't looking so silly to me anymore. Sigh.

Fortunately there is an available hadoop server in our organization but not yet sure what the limitations of it are.

Does using cloud services make sense?

Does using cloud services make sense?
Only if my company is willing to pay for it (usually are not).
All sorts of data sensitivity/privacy issues.
It does make the idea of a console with so much compute/tensor core power very interesting as an idea for HPC locally. I'm sure someone would consider building a UWP app to accept jobs lol.

But enough consideration here to make an impact. They have to lock the console down, otherwise everyone will buy them up for non-gaming related reasons and thus, no longer profitable for the platform companies.

Do we have any discussion about the transistor amount for ray-tracing/neural network?

For example, RTX 2080ti has 18.6 billion transistors @ 12nm, while RTX 2070 has only 10.6 billion. How many transistors are responsible for ray-tracing?

RTX 2070 has 6 Giga Rays/sec, if we targets lower resolution and frame-rate, is 6G/sec a useful amount for real-time ray-tracing?

As for neural network processing, is it very necessary for consoles? Or can we save some transistors of neural network processing if it is not that important?

There's no way of knowing what a ray is in that regards. It's like the "triangles per second figures" on the PS2. The peak number was astronomical, but by the time you start doing more than drawing plain triangles, the usable value of triangles drawn in a game was much lower.

Yes, there will be so many awesome games and too little free time to play them all. Very sucky indeed.

Which I'll get on PC. Nothing about Sony's 2019 lineup interests me (still holding out hope for a Demon Souls remake).

I'm ready for new console hardware.

The redditor that first mentioned the Sony skipping E3 has more claims. The most interesting one is that both PSVR2 and DS5 will have built-in cameras for inside-out tracking.

PSVR2 mention has sense, but DS5 mention is strange. Console holders earn a lot via controller sales, and they traditionally want them to be as cheap as possible for manufacture. DS4 is estimated to cost $18. DS5 cameras will cost few bucks, and when you take in account hundreds of millions of sales of gamepads, that's millions of "lost" money that Sony has to invest into manufacturing.

The redditor that first mentioned the Sony skipping E3 has more claims. The most interesting one is that both PSVR2 and DS5 will have built-in cameras for inside-out tracking.

PSVR2 mention has sense, but DS5 mention is strange. Console holders earn a lot via controller sales, and they traditionally want them to be as cheap as possible for manufacture. DS4 is estimated to cost $18. DS5 cameras will cost few bucks, and when you take in account hundreds of millions of sales of gamepads, that's millions of "lost" money that Sony has to invest into manufacturing.

It's not lost if the rest of the build costs come down. Surely the DS4 is cheaper now than day one...and Sony could increase the RRP to counter anyway?

Having said that, the leaker seems a bit inconsistent with some answers...not sure how much they know and how much is fluff.

How would inside-out tracking in a DS be used? It's lousy ergonomics for Wiimote style gameplay and motion controls haven't gone anywhere anyway so why try to bring them back expensively?

How would inside-out tracking in a DS be used? It's lousy ergonomics for Wiimote style gameplay and motion controls haven't gone anywhere anyway so why try to bring them back expensively?
Same thing as the DS4?

If they have a good solution for insideout tracking for the headset, it makes sense to put it on the DS too, because the DS will remain the primary VR controller and so far it's been prefered for seated VR. But I hope they have developped tactile gloves for the next step, it's the logical evolution.

A cheap sensor like the omnivision OV2740 is a bit over $1 and supports 1080p60, 720p90, interleaved HDR, and is ultra low power. The local cpu would need a few more cents for the processing and the MIPI interface. It's not a big cost.

But I don't see how it can beam this through bluetooth. Not enough bandwidth, and compression would take too much power from the controller. Local processing would be even worse.

Adding an expensive camera to every DS5 for the purposes of a small minority that'll be used for VR makes no sense. Sell a VR controller in those cases.
They wouldn't add an expensive camera, they would add an inexpensive one.

I don't believe the rumor but I also don't think it's really different from the DS4.

They wouldn't add an expensive camera, they would add an inexpensive one.

I don't believe the rumor but I also don't think it's really different from the DS4.
That was my thought. You can get VGA camera modules for electronics projects on a small PCB with some sort of IC and easy to solder pin outs for less than $3 on ebay. I'm sure Sony wouldn't be paying that for them. Wii remotes have cameras in them to do tracking and Wii remotes retailed for $15. They also had buttons, speakers, a custom expansion port, bluetooth radios, and a couple motion sensors. These parts pretty cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back