Sea of Thieves [XO, PC, XGP, PS]

Wasn't able to watch the Mixer event. Anybody watch it? If so, was it different from the YouTube video?

If anybody is in the Alpha, hit me up when it's live. I will definitely be playing it. Same goes for any Pioneers as well. ;)

Tommy McClain

so are we actually going to play the full game here you guys think? or was the closed alpha right before it ended actually reflective of the final game?

so are we actually going to play the full game here you guys think? or was the closed alpha right before it ended actually reflective of the final game?
No.

Per link above...

We’ve crafted a bespoke experience for Closed Beta players that offers a true taste of the pirate life and a great chance to get your sea legs ahead of March 20! We won’t be testing the full game during this Closed Beta phase: we want to keep a good selection of things up our sleeves for players to discover at launch.

BTW, Pioneers are getting access up until the Beta. I can't say if I'm say if I'm still a Pioneer or not due to NDA.

Tommy McClain

if you got an email it should indicate.

damn, still holding things back for launch in March. I just want to see the completed product.

Yeah, Pioneers are smaller subset of Insiders, now known as Founders, who were & are getting almost daily new builds of the game that has newer features. There were just a couple of hundred Pioneers at one time, not sure now.

Tommy McClain

Also no NDA once the closed beta starts. So free to discuss, post pics, stream, etc

I'm a Founder as well. I do see frequent updates to my build, but don't play it much due to wanting to go in with ppl I know as opposed to randoms.

Thought this was interesting from the Beta email...

Info-1.png

Info-2.png

Info-3.png

Tommy McClain

200K viewers watching SoT. It's currently #1 on Twitch and Mixer.

It's pretty intense, 1 streamer has 60k viewers.

Yeah but...

Software Industry definition of Beta = feature complete. SoT? Not so much. :(

Hit me up for any questions you have. I have over 75hrs in it. Played as a Pioneer up until last night.

Tommy McClain

Yeah but...

Software Industry definition of Beta = feature complete. SoT? Not so much. :(

Hit me up for any questions you have. I have over 75hrs in it. Played as a Pioneer up until last night.

Tommy McClain

Is it fun?

Edit: and it also looks this good?? Double wtf...

But they mentioned the magic word "LFG" on reset Era. Could be kiss of death for me, LFG+Destiny=streesssssss

Last edited:
Is it fun?

Edit: and it also looks this good?? Double wtf...

But they mentioned the magic word "LFG" on reset Era. Could be kiss of death for me, LFG+Destiny=streesssssss

Is very fun, but it may not be for everyone. It's more casual & it's designed to be a fun cooperative experience, but it's pirate life. So you will experience griefing & toxic players too. The bad part of the Beta is that it's light on content. 2/3 of the Trading Companies are not even in this test. It's focused solely on treasure chest hunting. The Alpha in December had Skeleton Skull Bounties but they were removed last week in the Pioneer sessions. They did add spyglass, sniper rifle & gunpowder barrels last week to compensate. The 3rd Trading Company hasn't made into any testing. That one tasks the player with transporting wildlife & supplies from 1 point to another in a certain amount of time. Worries me bit that the game won't be fully ready for launch. Beta isn't much to go on for $60 for sure. More like a $10 monthly Game Pass subscription.

As for the water & graphics, amazing even on a regular Xbox. Can't wait to try on XB1X & 4k HDR TV. Water blows away anything I've ever seen. And not just from above, below is awesome too. The undertow is amazing. Plus the swells in thunderstorms is unreal. I highly recommend watching some streams or YouTube videos.

Btw, Rare's trademark humor & spectacle is in full force. You should read some of the stories I've seen on Reddit today. LOL

Tommy McClain

Last edited:
LFG looking for group?

Yeah, if you don't have a 4 man team being put with random people may not be a good experience at first. Voice communications is almost required for newbies since you still learning the controls & mechanics. Seasoned players can get by with the non-voice communication system. Unfortunately it's not a full text chat system & you could find it limiting. Also, some players who are only interested in PvP battles may lock you up in the brig if you don't use voice chat. Highly recommend a team of people you're friends with. If you see me in the game hit me up I would love to play. Most of the time I play solo on a 1-man sloop. So I'll jump at the chance to play with friends from here.

Tommy McClain

Back