Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil returns to stage, device in hand.
This "blah" releasing xxx at this price and later again with more SKUs at this price.

Pretty accurate, I'm going to imagine. Are we also thinking MS is going to rebrand Project Scorpio?

Sure, the development codenames are typically not the names used to market the actual console (Revolution, anybody?), but I don't remember Nintendo announcing they were building the Revolution. MS actually announced the console as Project Scorpio and it's already received a substantial amount of mainstream press under that moniker.

Pretty accurate, I'm going to imagine. Are we also thinking MS is going to rebrand Project Scorpio?

Sure, the development codenames are typically not the names used to market the actual console (Revolution, anybody?), but I don't remember Nintendo announcing they were building the Revolution. MS actually announced the console as Project Scorpio and it's already received a substantial amount of mainstream press under that moniker.
all true...
but....
they've already said that it won't be called Scorpio.
Scorpio engine (apu) is their way of retaining that name

Pretty positive it will be at the start of the show. That way they can follow up with games all shown with Scorpio mode.
No way, they'll leave it towards the end to keep people tuned in. Climaxing early in anything is bad. :yes:

No way, they'll leave it towards the end to keep people tuned in. Climaxing early in anything is bad. :yes:
nothing else to watch that day ;) no one is tuning out. They need to showcase it's abilities during the games aspect of it.

nothing else to watch that day ;) no one is tuning out. They need to showcase it's abilities during the games aspect of it.

And this is the trick isn't it. Like Pro, Scorpio is really only going to appeal to a subset of the audience. That thin slither of gamers who are willing to pay for performance but like the console experience too much to just switch to PC. That's a minority. The conference needs to appeal to the rest of the mainstream Xbox audience while not making them feel like second class citizens. They will want to see games primarily.

The hardcore interested in Scorpio will sit through regardless. The same way Sony opened with Slim then went on to Pro.

I agree with Boto. They'll go front and center with Scorpio and it'll be the first reveal. Guaranteed.
How about we make this more interesting with wager? I am that convinced Microsoft are not stupid enough to open with Scorpio and potentially alienate the existing Xbox user base.

What can we wager...and we'd have to get specific on terms i guess...what constitutes "first", a "reveal", so forth and so on...

They'll talk about Scorpio within the first 5 minutes. That seems a good way to put it.

I would say it's EXTREMELY likely they'll reveal the form factor first too, but then again I could see them trying to save that for last and go out with a bang.

What can we wager...and we'd have to get specific on terms i guess...what constitutes "first", a "reveal", so forth and so on...

Whatever you like.

They'll talk about Scorpio within the first 5 minutes. That seems a good way to put it.
Done. No ambiguous crap like "the future of Xbox", they specifically talk about the console.

no way getting involved in wager.
but i think they'll do the reveal at end much like slim & Scorpio last e3. Pretty sure both was at end.

reasoning:
not about alienating x1 owners though.
will all games running on scorpio look so much better on e3 stage. Probably not.
so show them all on x1, at the end do reveal reshowing the ones that show best on stage, and on stream. I.e supper nice textures and effects F7 etc. Be all ooos ahhh... And good first impression.
that way, through show people won't be thinking and saying looks ok but not much better.

after show they get to see all games running on Scorpio on e3 booths, people at home can download high quality videos of them.

Last edited:
And this is the trick isn't it. Like Pro, Scorpio is really only going to appeal to a subset of the audience. That thin slither of gamers who are willing to pay for performance but like the console experience too much to just switch to PC. That's a minority. The conference needs to appeal to the rest of the mainstream Xbox audience while not making them feel like second class citizens. They will want to see games primarily.

The hardcore interested in Scorpio will sit through regardless. The same way Sony opened with Slim then went on to Pro.

I generally thinking conference pacing/ordering is about the story you want to tell ultimately. I don't know what MS has in store, but if I were MS I would open with Scorpio and 4K first. And then I would immediately lead into game pass and showcase all the games in Game pass. then I would say that all games in game pass are Scorpio enabled. Then I would follow with all the games that are being upgraded for 4K/Scorpio (due to how easy it is to patch for). And then roll into the next set of new games and how those would look on scorpio.

Then go back and forth between platform changes, service changes, accessory announcements, and games. I'd finish the conference off on something major, but it doesn't need to be Scorpio the the hardware, they can most definitely have something else prepared for E3, not sure what, but MS is good at platform stuff. I would like to think OG XBOX BC support might woo people but I don't think so. Ending on a good unannounced AAA title would be a decent way to end it imo.

Last edited:
I could see them going all in Scorpio at first, but the tech preview pretty much did that. I think the biggest thing they need to get off their back is that they don't have any first party or exclusive games. So I supect they will show wall to wall games exclusively for their ecosystem(PC, XB1, Scorpio, timed or not). Then announce price & look of Scorpio at end.

Tommy McClain

Update: According to a Bungie producer, Destiny 2 only runs at 30 FPS on consoles. David Shaw also confirmed this to numerous other outlets and our sources. Bungie has also confirmed to us that they cannot talk about Destiny 2 on Xbox until Microsoft's E3 press conference.

How you feeling about that bet Dsoup?

scorpio version

Gaf is muckraking 60 FPS on Scorpio nonsense but, not gonna happen. 30 FPS slightly best looking console version

How about we make this more interesting with wager? I am that convinced Microsoft are not stupid enough to open with Scorpio and potentially alienate the existing Xbox user base.

Alienate the Xbox user base? Every Xbox community I've visited, Scorpio is the main conversation, nobody is upset they bought an S model with Scorpio coming out. Everybody is super stoked to see Scorpio, find out what it looks like, how much it costs, when they'll be able to buy one, etc.

The entire Xbox community is dying for Scorpio, even those that won't be purchasing it for a year or two. If they don't lead with the Scorpio reveal, nobody is going to be paying attention to what is going on because that would be the elephant in the room. I think roboto has it perfectly right. They show off Scorpio, launch date, price, and then they show off the games. Actually, knowing MS, they'll probably lead the conference with Bleem or Belch or whatever their streaming service is, won't mention the Scorpio at all, and spend the rest of the time making jokes nobody thinks is funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back