PS4 Pro Official Specifications (Codename NEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 310W power supply is quite impressive as is the whole cooling solution (for such a closed box).

There is a second shield around the APU on both sides. That's new and should lower EMF emissions compared to OG PS4. They also added copper on the small part of the quite big heat sink that is pasted to the APU.

Fan is 10mm larger than in the launch PS4 fan. Same drive unit as the launch one.

As a whole it's another well engineered piece of hardware by Sony.

Ifixit:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Pro+Teardown/72946

"With the beast on its back, the opposite panel pops off after some prodigious prying"
No shit, I gave up on it, and even the Sony guy struggled with the top cover.:runaway:

Awesome heat pipes and copper slug. And bigger fan.

Confirmed second 512MB on the other side.

Power mosfets are now connected to the shield as a heat sink.

Actual specs of the PS is 289W -output-, this is a nice margin so it operated in it's most efficient region at full power (so far 155W, might go up as we find the most difficult games)

Uh... 21mm x 15mm?
315mm2?

Last edited:
Uh... 21mm x 15mm?
315mm2?

PS4 SoC was 315mm2

So they go from 28 nm to 16nm FF => 2x more density ? But they add 2x GPU. However, they also added an extran
memory controller and maybe even a SATA port eliminating the Fujitsu USB to SATA controller. Still a biit SoC. Guess
they can't wait for TSMC's 10 nm node.

Interesting that the top cover (if you figure out how pry it off) allows to clean the fan without voiding the warranty, and even replace the power supply quite easily.

Interesting that the top cover (if you figure out how pry it off) allows to clean the fan without voiding the warranty, and even replace the power supply quite easily.

No. Top cover is easily removable by hand and fan is accessible that way, but PSU can only be taken out when TWO screws from the bottom shield are removed [accessible when the warranty stickers and 3 back screws are removed].

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Crytek claims the PS4 Pro has hardware dedicated to multi-resolution (which should be the most useful for VR AFAIK):

http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-pros-incr...requirements-of-4k-cryteks-technical-director

Some things (like color compression) are transparent efficiency improvements, so really more of a balancing tool to allow high utilization of the increased compute resources despite the relatively smaller bandwidth increase. Others – like the ID buffer or hardware-multi res – actually pave the way for new rendering pipeline workflows, and as such still need to be experimented with to determine all the possibilities.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Crytek claims the PS4 Pro has hardware dedicated to multi-resolution (which should be the most useful for VR AFAIK):

http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-pros-incr...requirements-of-4k-cryteks-technical-director
Well, shouldn't it be very useful for non-VR games too ? Many games are using some kind of dynamic res already like BF1, COD, Titanfall 2 and even FF15. It's like dynamic res is going to be the norm rather than the exception for those big franchises from now on on consoles.

Could explain why DF had trouble keeping track of the dynamic resolution changes in several games as they were happening so smoothly.

No. Top cover is easily removable by hand and fan is accessible that way, but PSU can only be taken out when TWO screws from the bottom shield are removed [accessible when the warranty stickers and 3 back screws are removed].
I guess that makes sense, if you need it replaced you'd get it done under warranty anyway.
My cover seems stuck, I don't know how much force is necessary. :oops:
Where are you getting those dimensions I'm looking high and low on that link I can't see it? Are those the dimensions of the ceramic chip cap ?
Yeah, the usual just measuring the top by counting the pixels, compared to the CR2032 battery. The stupid red outline makes it a bit difficult, I'm not sure if it's overlapping the chip or not on the right edge.

Well, shouldn't it be very useful for non-VR games too ? Many games are using some kind of dynamic res already like BF1, COD, Titanfall 2 and even FF15. It's like dynamic res is going to be the norm rather than the exception for those big franchises from now on on consoles.
I thought dynamic resolution meant changing the resolution for the whole frame at a given time, depending on performance.

Assuming multires rendering is rendering the whole scene chopped up into different resolution pieces, I'm not sure it's a good fit for non-VR. You'd have parts of the image at a different resolution - a slightly blurrier square here and there. In VR these low res areas are confined to the periphery which is blurrier anyway, so makes sense as an optimisation to not render what the player isn't looking at.

I'm not seeing much application for lower resolution pieces of image outside of VR. Unless it's really sophisticated and can dynamically reduce complex pieces of scene on the fly, so let's say reflections could be dynamically res reduced without the devs needing to worry about it.

I thought dynamic resolution meant changing the resolution for the whole frame at a given time, depending on performance.
Yes. I guess a theory is you could dynamically reduce part of the scene rather than all of it. I suppose keeping the centre at native res and reducing the periphery a little more makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back