Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

Not according to the Internet. The difference between XBO and PS4 is 0.5 TF and is somehow the stuff of Galaxy Killers (amaze balls). Now the difference between XBScorpio and PSNeo is 1.8TF, an entire PS4, and now its magically not a lot. Maybe its because it's Sony that is on the wrong side of the comparison.

I'm not disagreeing with what your logic is, that it's the proportions are the same, but if its Galaxy Killer Amaze Balls now, it'll still be that later.
Surely it's not about absolutes, but the relative difference?
1.8 is 50% more than 1.2.
6 is oh wait it's 50% more than 4.
We're all doomed.
It's the trinity of doom signs.
Brexit, Trump and Sony's death.

The redesigning PS4 neo or releasing a PS5 in 2018 talk is from fanboys who don't want to accept that sony won't have the most powerful console.

Also, if they get a soc smaller than scorpio, they can compete in price for the whole gen, or mid-gen.

I don´t see Scorpio making a dent in the PS realm

I'm still not sure what the point of a 4 or a 6tf machine is, if we're not even going to get games that are built specifically for them.

I'm still not sure what the point of a 4 or a 6tf machine is, if we're not even going to get games that are built specifically for them.
I see it the same way as the existence of a GTX1070 and a GTX1080 for PC. They target the 1070 and then the 1080 give better res, and/or frame rate, and/or shader quality and/or anti-aliasing. Or whatever is easily enabled in the renderer. Games with good dynamic scaling will do this natually. It won't be the same thing we're used to with a real next gen, this is not a 10x increase, the CPU isn't much better, and there's barely more memory.

It's a weird move, for sure. The big question is more what the hell are they going to do with next gen. Rolling support? Last 2 gens target?

I think it's interesting that both vendors have evaluated their options and both are opting for platform changes that are not being given the status of dedicated software targets.
Given the market share numbers and the premium targeting, it's not looking like "winning" the gen or not has made a significant difference.

Well, we are at a TV resolution transition for 4K. You don't need to "specifically build" a game to get the benefit of that. Is there a point between Blu Ray and UHD Blu Ray?

Well, we are at a TV resolution transition for 4K. You don't need to "specifically build" a game to get the benefit of that. Is there a point between Blu Ray and UHD Blu Ray?
But everyone is saying that Neo won't even be able to run demanding games in 4K. That's a bit silly, isn't it.

But everyone is saying that Neo won't even be able to run demanding games in 4K. That's a bit silly, isn't it.
Well, I was looking at a Scorpio strategy there, more than Neo. If you are not (at least) scaling the pixel processing power up by at least a factor of 4x then then its not a clear that its achievable - hence the spec scaling (that has been advertised so far) on Scorpio seems clear that's this is the target. More specification details and subsequent games testing needs happen to see if this is realized.

The other case is VR.

The talk about Sony redesigning Neo is as dumb as the talk about Microsoft re-specing Xbox One once it and PS4's specs were known. It's fanboy fantasy and utter nonsense. I can only repeat what I said back then, switching Microsoft (then) for Sony (now).

Sony's goal is not to produce the most powerful console, it's goal is to produce a profitable business.

The people who think believe it's really important for your preferred company to have the most powerful console conveniently overlook that there is no consistent correlation between relative console performance and commercial success. None. There is correlation between price and commercial success. That's not to say that there isn't a market for powerful consoles.

People on this forum are out of their bloody minds if they think fanboy priorities are how companies design products.

The most sane post here.

It feels like the mid-gen is happening on both sides because "the other guy is doing it". Not explicitly or knowingly, but the market strategy works only if either both, or neither are making a mid-gen platform. OTOH, it would be a risky move if only one of them does it.

They both telegraphed this move years ago.

The announcements and the recent leaks do not provide enough notice for a "me too".
Something was decided some time ago, on both sides.
That could point to some shared projections on where the console generation can go, or some other shared factor prodding them to do this.

Surely it's not about absolutes, but the relative difference?
1.8 is 50% more than 1.2.
6 is oh wait it's 50% more than 4.
We're all doomed.
It's the trinity of doom signs.
Brexit, Trump and Sony's death.

I think the point is that comparing power differences proportionally isn't always reflective of reality because there could thresholds of performance that are exceeded at greater absolute values that are still within the same proportionality.

Whole last generation w as 720p and what? hardware sold well, games too, everyone happy. And what will be two years after Scorpio release? 5K TV, new console, then 8K TV next console. All this race is useless, it's not different from PC then. You just upgrade all the time, instead of getting piece of hardware for 5-6 years, like it always was and always worked.
It actually looks more and more like phones, I sort of dislike it but a processing power, custom parts, the matching software and api re getting more and more of a commodities it could sensible for the console to adapt and provide system targeting various TV (or VR if it takes off) resolution. In the mobile world pretty much every bit of extra processing power is dedicated to pushing more pixels.
Moving from, high, to highest and above in many PC games result in less and less visible improvement, there could be a converge in quality setting and with the target resolution being the main differentiation between available systems.
It would be interesting if in 2017 we have leaks about a proper move from Sony toward a tiered approach with to significant difference in prices.

What? So rather let MS have the tail end with no competition? We're talking a similar performance gap to what there is currently (only reversed) and MS managed to sell a half-decent amount of consoles...if they cancel Sony surrender a chunck of gamers but if they continue they offer a comparable option. Also, as I said before, Sony could announce PS5 in 2018 'planning for next gen starts now' meaning Scorpio might only be on the market for less than a year and already Sony get bragging rights back.
How not releasing Neo is surrounding a chunk of gamer to MSFT whom offers is mostly unchanged (PC and XB1) Sony has the upper hand and should keep it for a while, then as Scorpio release approaches along with demo, etc. it will be p to their marketing guys and their game line-up to keep s much gamers as they can till their new system is around. I don't see Neo helping as they don't need it now and an incremental upgrade against the launch of a new system might not cut it.

It has to be considerably bigger than Jag would be on the same node, given its massive jump in IPC and its big ol chunk of L3. So far, poured over shots of a single PR wafer shot are all we have to go off though ...
... something something Zen Lite.
Looking at Intel CPU I suspect Zen could ended up "tiny", AMD current quad cores are north of 100 sq.mm (leaving the iGPU aside), big CPU cores are not longer big :)

I think PS5 in 2018 or 2019 is not all that unreasonable. I'd probably guess 2019. Re-designed Neo doesn't make any sense. Seems like they're too far along, and devs are already working on it.

It feels like the mid-gen is happening on both sides because "the other guy is doing it". Not explicitly or knowingly, but the market strategy works only if either both, or neither are making a mid-gen platform. OTOH, it would be a risky move if only one of them does it.

They both telegraphed this move years ago.
There is nothing mid -gen about Scorpio, its release is still quite distant and the system will havE nothing to do with the XB1 (or you speak about the 1S which is not in the sameballpark as Neo).

I think PS5 in 2018 or 2019 is not all that unreasonable. I'd probably guess 2019. Re-designed Neo doesn't make any sense. Seems like they're too far along, and devs are already working on it.

I think the next "gen" of consoles after Neo/Scorpio will coincide with mass availability of the next node (10nm) which will probably be ~2019 for higher performance/non-mobile parts.

Xbox One and PS4 just released so low spec that it was easy to release a new box earlier that will, most importantly, sell at a premium price tag. The economics of the console industry, having a launch price around $400-500 without taking a huge loss on each unit, make that possible. Not expecting it to shorten much more than 4 years. If they get to two years for a new box, I think they may be in trouble.

Back