PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most do. Especially the demographic that will buy a game console. Waste of money to push something that will not be adopted to the extent blu-ray was let alone dvd.
I'll ignore the baseless assumption and add that BR 4k is basically 100% software. Theoretically one could re-flash the firmware of current PS4 BR drives to gain multilayer support. So the money involved is going to be insignificant overall, mainly licenses for additional codecs and whatnot, and as a founding member of BR consortium, Sony would be paying some of that money back to itself anyhow.

Again people applying conventional wisdom when it doesn't make sense in terms where everything is headed.
Utter hogwash. Streaming 4k is nowhere near the experience offered by 4k BR, both video-wise and audio. Not to mention special features, which tend to be completely missing, one might add. Plus, no interruptions from internet connection going all wonky-screwy or friggin router needing a vulcan neck pinch again, and so on.

I am curious whether this rules out a 14nm variant of Orbis. There's still the part of the market that slim models have typically targeted with cheaper, smaller, and quieter models. The upclock and GPU expansion would seemingly hurt on all those counts.
Has the current gen somehow already cut into this? Does the 28nm PS4 serve as the volume play?

In theory, a Neo in legacy mode could act much like a slim model in terms of thermals, but unless the box and cooling solution can grow and shrink on the fly the product cannot reflect that externally.

Yep, if the new soc it´s indeed smaller, they could sell some of those 14nm apus hardwired into legacy mode, and serving this slim model niche. Even they could reuse defective socs.

Another posibility, they could still use the 28nm base model, and cut corners with the BR drive or even the internal HD, introducing a new sku just for digital downloads, with some flash, and reliyng on external drives, like Ms. This would make a for really small case

I'm surprised nobody posted the new rumor from an hour ago? I mean the one confirmed by the New York Times.

If Sony don't include a UHD Bluray player in the PS4K then that can only mean that they too believe the format has no hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those supposed leaks come from dev sources, right?
Games for both models must come with the same disc, bdr for 4k it has to be just for movies, so this info its irrelevant for devs.

in all likelihood it will be an updated drive, but no used for games

I'm a little sad it seems that old games won't get any faster from the new hardware. I can understand not unlocking frame caps, but a lot of games have trouble meeting their frame caps(Infamous Second Son, for example). it'd be nice if those got a better and more consistent frame rate.

Because what I am taking from these leaks is that most of the extra power is going to end up going towards a resolution bump. And a lot of games are already running at 1080 on PS4 now. If COD runs at 1080p/60fps on ps4 now where else is the extra juice going to go? I don't think developers/publishers are going to take time and mess around with other settings.

Dynamic resolution and framerate on PS4. The game is mostly 1080p60fps in the MP but the SP mode could greatly benefit (and easily form a dev point of view) from a Neo version. Same for Battlefront which could easily run at 1080p native instead of 900p, hopefully with a better AA like SMAA. Would be utterly stupid to use the currently very average FXAA used with a 4.2tflops GPU, particularly at only 1080p. But hey you never know.

The Division on PS4, as it is currently, would not easily benefit form a Neo version, because the game is already 1080p@ basically 30fps locked, except if they uncap the framerate + freesync...:rolleyes:

The same thing happened to PS2; later models were more powerful than the first model (even if only 5%); the very first model had trouble with ICO when you enabled all filters: it would have severe slowdown.

I have finally come to terms with the news, and I am ready for PS4K.
WUT

I'm a little sad it seems that old games won't get any faster from the new hardware. I can understand not unlocking frame caps, but a lot of games have trouble meeting their frame caps(Infamous Second Son, for example). it'd be nice if those got a better and more consistent frame rate.

From DF:
Sony describes 'forward compatibility' via patches, allowing developers to revisit their existing PS4 library and add Neo features to existing games.

Stability patches? ;)

Well they will so long as developers go back and do a little work to optimize...

This may go to what exactly was enhanced and by how much. It does seem a little weird to have a self-scheduling CPU and GPU system suddenly become faster and sprout up to double the compute resources and any number of larger buffers or tweaked hardware, and then go through the effort to forbid it from self-scheduling itself more effectively.

It seems like it could check a capability flag in the software, and cap clocks, gate off half the CUs, turn off any extra features, and downclock memory. Even then there may be elements to the hardware that might still accidentally be better, if there's any expanded buffers or data paths. It could be kept small enough a difference as to not generally matter, but that's where weird corner cases and sneak in.

It was a compliment. Nevermind.
Yeah,you are giving permission cards depending on the country.Very nice from you and tells a lot about you.
It was a compliment. Nevermind.
Ok,
You are also giving permission cards for being interested in whatever depending of the country of origen?. Funny things with you guys.Well versed discussions and quite tolerant, beings of light...that argue for a console.Pfff...

Yeah,you are giving permission cards depending on the country.Very nice from you and tells a lot about you.

Ok,

You are also giving permission cards for being interested in whatever depending of the country of origen?. Funny things with you guys.Well versed discussions and quite tolerant, beings of light...that argue for a console.Pfff...
I have no idea what you're trying to say but you need to lighten up and get a sense of humour. Yours failed.

can't games with unlocked framerate like killzone SF and infamous benefit from the new HW without a patch ?

I would say probably yes, just from clock speed improvements alone. In terms of dispatching work to the GPU, I don't really know. The leak says there are double the number of CUs for the GPU. I don't know how low-level GNM really is, and whether code would take advantage of the new CUs without modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back