Star Wars Battlefront

Just like the movie.
Booooo!

Damn you XenForo for not giving me a dislike button! Where's my dislike? I want to dislike this post!
Can I pay for a dislike button?

The game does suck in terms of content, though.
Had it released with content similar to battlefield 4 and I would've bought it day one, would still be playing it today and probably would've bought a DLC too.

The game does suck in terms of content, though.
Had it released with content similar to battlefield 4 and I would've bought it day one, would still be playing it today and probably would've bought a DLC too.

That would have still sucked in terms of content.

What they needed to do was release with content similar to Star Wars Battlefront 1 or 2. You know, the games that were released over a decade ago? But nope, EA decided to release this shallow piece of poo. Star Wars Battlefront (the original) gamers are rightly pissed off that Star Wars Battlefront (the new one) is such a steaming pile of excrement.

But I guess at least it's a really good looking steaming pile of excrement.

They should have released it as Star Wars Battlefield, instead of besmirching the good name of the original series.

Regards,
SB

That would have still sucked in terms of content.

What they needed to do was release with content similar to Star Wars Battlefront 1 or 2. You know, the games that were released over a decade ago? But nope, EA decided to release this shallow piece of poo. Star Wars Battlefront (the original) gamers are rightly pissed off that Star Wars Battlefront (the new one) is such a steaming pile of excrement.

But I guess at least it's a really good looking steaming pile of excrement.

They should have released it as Star Wars Battlefield, instead of besmirching the good name of the original series.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, one or the other.

The last update/DLC is a joke.

Just small maps (8 vs. 8 in a DICE game!) and it wont be better in the next ones. Bespin and Deathstar dont sound like big maps too. The mode rotation cylce in the DLC maps is just horrible.

I just want to play the walker mode. I dont care about the other ones.

Lets see and I will hope. I dont want to have an useless season pass.

DICE was well known for great battles and now there is a first DLC package which only has 8 vs. 8.

The maps can be as large as they want them to be. Battles on the surface of the Deathstar, battles within.

Hell, they have as much room as they want to make a straight trench. :p You could even close your eyes it's so straight. Feel the Force!

Regards,
SB

Here is the player base for this game nowadays:

Currently online players
PC: 5,487 (24h peak: 7,582)

XBOXONE: 17,110 (24h peak: 29,991)

PS4: 36,990 (24h peak: 48,849)

Total: 59,587

So they lost about 25% of their player base or 20 000 players during the last month. If we're talking about 24h peak amounts, the numbers are worse for consoles (70k to 48k in PS4, 44k to 30k in Xbone).
Given how we're going through the Easter holidays and the kids don't have school in lots of places, the decrease may be a lot worse.

So out of 10 million copies sold, they have an attach rate of.. around 1%?

I wonder if EA thinks it'll be worth it to keep developing DLCs. At this rate, future DLCs will only sell like 10k copies or less.

IMO, the sooner EA and DICE drop this game, the sooner there will be the opportunity to release a proper Battlefront game.

They must have made a fortune with this game: no content in MP, no SP(!), no new gameplay elements which needs development and tuning, free advertising due to the movie, engine that is used for tons of other games at EA...10million sold.

Must be one of the most commercial successful games this gen (except GTA of course).

They must have made a fortune with this game: no content in MP, no SP(!), no new gameplay elements which needs development and tuning, free advertising due to the movie, engine that is used for tons of other games at EA...10million sold.

Must be one of the most commercial successful games this gen (except GTA of course).
I wonder how much they have to share with Disney. I wonder if Disney gets a royalty for each title sold. EA possibly offered more to beat out every other publisher for one of the hottest licenses in pop culture.

Update to player base, after another month.
Tomorrow is May the Fourth and EA will make the game free-to-play during the day while launching some updates, so it'll be interesting if this can turn the ship around.

However, the numbers are bleak, to say the least:

Currently online players
PC: 1,616 (24h peak: 4,946)

XBOXONE: 3,317 (24h peak: 17,169)

PS4: 3,098 (24h peak: 27,582)

Total: 8,031

Looking at peak numbers, PC lost 30%, XBone lost around 43% and PS4 lost 44%. All this within a month.
Another couple of months and the game's number of players will be lower than Battlefield Hardline.

The maps can be as large as they want them to be. Battles on the surface of the death star, battles within.
The death star has been done to scale using the Freespace 2 open engine
The problem is if you want to be faithful to the film you start off in space where you can see the whole death star then fly towards it until you reach the trench then along the trench, you have to cover a distance of several thousand miles.
This was doable in Freespace 2 because the game supports up to 64x time compression and it still took several minutes to reach the trench, ok in a single player game but not in a multilayer game.

Last edited:
The death star has been done to scale using the Freespace 2 open engine
The problem is if you want to be faithful to the film you start off in space where you can see the whole death star then fly towards it until you reach the trench then along the trench, you have to cover a distance of several thousand miles.
This was doable in Freespace 2 because the game supports up to 64x time compression and it still took several minutes to reach the trench, ok in a single player game but not in a multilayer game.

Yeah, you'd have to go through hyperspace until pretty close to the death star and use very high cruise speeds in order for the game not to be very boring.

Yeah, you'd have to go through hyperspace until pretty close to the death star and use very high cruise speeds in order for the game not to be very boring.

Depends if you are going for simulation or arcade experience. Time compression works fine for simulation fans. When I was big into WW 1 and WW 2 flight simulators in the late 80's to mid 90's, you'd have missions where it would take real-time 2+ hours to do a typical mission if you didn't use time compression due to the distance covered combined with the cruising speed of aircraft of the day. But it was nice to have the option to a do a historically accurate (well as accurate as the technology allowed at the time) mission patrol without time compression.

Boring is all dependent on what you are looking for. :) Granted most people playing Star Wars Bollocks (I refuse to ruin the good name of the franchise by calling this a game in that franchise) are probably in it for the arcade experience.

Regards,
SB

Back