Sony PSVR value versus competing VR solutions *spawn

Your including Morpheus with oculus and vive dispite the gulf of performance between the platforms but your dismissing an android phone ?

One of the most popular games right now is minecraft and any phone of the last 4 years can play it just fine.
I'm not splitting up with you eastmen... but... I think we should see other people.

It's not you, it's me.

Your including Morpheus with oculus and vive dispite the gulf of performance between the platforms but your dismissing an android phone ?
There's clearly a minimum requirement for decent VR as evidenced by the failure for VR for a couple of decades and the years of investment and development going into the new solutions. You need low latency, accurate tracking, and high refresh, for the experience to be anything other than gimmicky. Cardboard isn't going to be able to offer a VR experience in the same league as the real solutions. You may as well argue something like the AtGames Sega Genesis Classic Console is competing with XB1 and PS4. Or putting it another way, there's not a single person considering PSVR or OVR or VIve who's thinking, "PSVR will be cheap on my console and a solid experience, though the PC solutions will offer a better solution if I invest. But maybe I'll go with Google Cardboard instead and my Galaxy Note 5."

Edit: I've linked a couple of Amazon products for reference today. Am I turning into a spambot?!

Actually there are a few more, and I wouldn't completely discard Gear VR as it is apparently quite good, but otherwise your point stands.
Yeah, Gear VR seems to be executed with great care, it has minimum requirement of a galaxy note 4 or a galaxy s6, plus $199 for the headset though... which isn't forward compatible. Still, gear VR is targeting 60hz, which even carmack said is a problem. We will need a few more iterations of smartphones for great mobile vr performance target.

I think smartphone VR will probably have their own ecosystem of games, as controls, features, and latency targets are incompatible. I don't think they will get a significant number of ports from console/PC. We heard for years that android have a billion phones in the wild for selling games, but the number of smartphone users who would pay $70 for each game is still tiny.

Other players are in the PC space, will come later, and will compete with oculus and vive, to me this is the same ecosystem and essentially the same platform.

Last edited:
There's clearly a minimum requirement for decent VR as evidenced by the failure for VR for a couple of decades and the years of investment and development going into the new solutions. You need low latency, accurate tracking, and high refresh, for the experience to be anything other than gimmicky. Cardboard isn't going to be able to offer a VR experience in the same league as the real solutions. You may as well argue something like the AtGames Sega Genesis Classic Console is competing with XB1 and PS4. Or putting it another way, there's not a single person considering PSVR or OVR or VIve who's thinking, "PSVR will be cheap on my console and a solid experience, though the PC solutions will offer a better solution if I invest. But maybe I'll go with Google Cardboard instead and my Galaxy Note 5."

Edit: I've linked a couple of Amazon products for reference today. Am I turning into a spambot?!

Well listen the note 5 offers a high resolution of 2560x1440 and has a Exynos 7420 octacore . With its gear vr package you will get VR Netflix . hulu . John Carmack himself is working on Minecraft for the Rift and Gear VR .

Minecraft is one of the most popular games of this and last generation with 54m copies sold.

Gun Jack also looks pretty cool http://www.roadtovr.com/gunjack-ue4...s-fall-release-for-samsungs-consumer-gear-vr/

These are all cheap options . On contract a galaxy note 5 is only $200-$250 and gear vr is $100 so you'd be out the door with the same price as just the ps4 .

These are all cheap options . On contract a galaxy note 5 is only $200-$250 and gear vr is $100 so you'd be out the door with the same price as just the ps4 .
Comparing to buying a console, a Note 5 is >£400 (>$700) whether you pay instalments or not, more than a PS4. It has a tiny fraction of the power - it's competing with PS3 which isn't anything like strong enough to be a real VR machine, or are you also saying PSVR with PS3 will be a decent rival to a decent PC + PVR?
Yeah, for people who only want Space Harrier type games and already own an expensive mobile device, Gear VR is very economical.

Now what about people who want a full VR experience, so controller and AA/A VR games, who don't yet have any device to experience this on? What are the options?

$700 PS4 + PSVR
$700+ Galaxy Note 5 and Gear VR - can't play the mid/high end games
$1000+ PC

There's only one cheaper option, PS4. The arguments in favour of PC are the same PC versus console arguments - flexibility, forwards compatibility, etc. But talking pure price and the minimum spend for a consumer to get into VR, the console wins (as ever, they've always offered the lowest entry price) and offers the real next-gen VR experience just at lower quality. Exactly like the PS4 does now versus PC. Importantly, where the quality is good enough, unlike trying to run VR on a PS3 level device, the console actually represents a competitive option.

So no, PSVR isn't a pricey option compared to the entry level Gear VR type solutions. It's a different product. It's a lower-end sports car, PC is a high end sports car, Carboard et al are micro cars.

btw gunjack reminds me of Nintendo 3DS facetime (or whatever it was called) free game you got. You turn around and around to shoot.
basically "defender" tipe of games

Comparing to buying a console, a Note 5 is >£400 (>$700) whether you pay instalments or not, more than a PS4. It has a tiny fraction of the power - it's competing with PS3 which isn't anything like strong enough to be a real VR machine, or are you also saying PSVR with PS3 will be a decent rival to a decent PC + PVR?
Yeah, for people who only want Space Harrier type games and already own an expensive mobile device, Gear VR is very economical.

Now what about people who want a full VR experience, so controller and AA/A VR games, who don't yet have any device to experience this on? What are the options?

$700 PS4 + PSVR
$700+ Galaxy Note 5 and Gear VR - can't play the mid/high end games
$1000+ PC

There's only one cheaper option, PS4. The arguments in favour of PC are the same PC versus console arguments - flexibility, forwards compatibility, etc. But talking pure price and the minimum spend for a consumer to get into VR, the console wins (as ever, they've always offered the lowest entry price) and offers the real next-gen VR experience just at lower quality. Exactly like the PS4 does now versus PC. Importantly, where the quality is good enough, unlike trying to run VR on a PS3 level device, the console actually represents a competitive option.

So no, PSVR isn't a pricey option compared to the entry level Gear VR type solutions. It's a different product. It's a lower-end sports car, PC is a high end sports car, Carboard et al are micro cars.

I just bought a note 5 , it was $350 for the 64gig device , I can show you a receipt. Many people are on contracts in the usa .

Also what is the full VR experience ? Is it Morpheus and a ps camera ? Is it a rift with 2 camera's and touch , is it 4 cameras , is it vive with multiple light house ? Morpheus is going to be quite limited compared to those. I wouldn't compare a ps4 to a sports car , its like a Honda civic that someone put a turbo and loud exhaust on. It goes beyond just rendering power.

I just bought a note 5 , it was $350 for the 64gig device , I can show you a receipt. Many people are on contracts in the usa.

Most people in the UK are on contracts too. We rarely pay any up-front costs at all, so paying $350 and then a monthly cost too sounds very expensive to me. They're subsidised here, I imagine they are to some extent in the US too, since the devices without a contract don't cost $350.

Most people in the UK are on contracts too. We rarely pay any up-front costs at all, so paying $350 and then a monthly cost too sounds very expensive to me. They're subsidised here, I imagine they are to some extent in the US too, since the devices without a contract don't cost $350.

Its okay , gear vr will work with the S5 and Note 4 and up. Here you can get an s5 for free on contract.

The s7 will be launching around the time of Morpheus and other VR devices next year also

"on contract" means you are paying the phone as part of your overpriced data plan, and you're force to pay for the entire 2 years. They don't show you how much they overcharge for the plan, but internally that's how it works.

In canada, the mobile providers have to show how much they overcharge. The exact same plan without getting a phone with it is $10 to $20 less expensive per month. (They call it bring-your-own-phone).

You paid $700 for it whether you're good with math or not.

.. and if you lose it or break it, it will cost you $700 to get a new one.

... also if you break your contract to go with another provider, you will owe them the remainder of that $700.

Last edited:
Its okay , gear vr will work with the S5 and Note 4 and up. Here you can get an s5 for free on contract.

The s7 will be launching around the time of Morpheus and other VR devices next year also

Help me understand your point because I'm struggling.

It sounds like you're suggesting mobile device VR will work. PC VR will work. PlayStation VR will not work.

I don't understand your logic.

Help me understand your point because I'm struggling.

It sounds like you're suggesting mobile device VR will work. PC VR will work. PlayStation VR will not work.

I don't understand your logic.

We were talking about the price difference between sony vr and pc vr and the difference between the two in terms of visuals which will be vast (amongst other things ) If your comparing being able to run 15tflops of gpu power in a pc when the rift releases vs 1.8 tflops of the ps4 then you might as well bring phone vr in. Since its cheaper to get in than sony's set up and while it doesn't have the power the ps4 has , it shouldn't matter because price is in its favor

You can go to a store today , get a galaxy s5 for $0 and a gear vr for $100 and have VR today. In a few weeks you can do the same for larger number of phones . The s5 , s6 , s6 edge , note 4 , note 5 , edge + . These phones sell the total install base of the ps4 quarterly at this point.

Yeah so what he should have said and what is Shifty's point also, you do really need a lot of rendering power for VR at a decent resolution and if the PS4 will already be struggling for native red at decent frame rates we shouldn't expect too much from phones.

Also phones are often quite challenged at getting a stable frame rate.

I am hoping to try my iPhone 6 Plus with Homido VR soon.

Phones get faster all the time , when playstation vr hits the s7 will also hit which should have an even better screen than the current ones and of course a faster apu in there. Screen resolution will be even higher than ps vr while its refresh rate will not be and we will have to see how much closer the new chipsets get.

These will be capable of playing minecraft vr . They will sell like hot cakes .

Well ok then, so if PC/OR/Vive is not 1000 times better then its a total fail. It's good we've got that settled now. Personally, I'll be cutting up cardboard for my Vita this weekend.......so much win I can hardly wait.

We were talking about the price difference between sony vr and pc vr and the difference between the two in terms of visuals which will be vast (amongst other things ) If your comparing being able to run 15tflops of gpu power in a pc when the rift releases vs 1.8 tflops of the ps4 then you might as well bring phone vr in. Since its cheaper to get in than sony's set up and while it doesn't have the power the ps4 has , it shouldn't matter because price is in its favor

You can go to a store today , get a galaxy s5 for $0 and a gear vr for $100 and have VR today. In a few weeks you can do the same for larger number of phones . The s5 , s6 , s6 edge , note 4 , note 5 , edge + . These phones sell the total install base of the ps4 quarterly at this point.

Phones get faster all the time , when playstation vr hits the s7 will also hit which should have an even better screen than the current ones and of course a faster apu in there. Screen resolution will be even higher than ps vr while its refresh rate will not be and we will have to see how much closer the new chipsets get.

These will be capable of playing minecraft vr . They will sell like hot cakes .
So basically, yes. PC VR will succeed because it's more powerful than PS4 and mobile will succeed because they're "free" and everyone has one. Your logic definitely sounds flawed.

I'd suggest that devices that you don't own are still perfectly capable of providing a solid VR experience. Especially since the PS4 will not only be the cheapest option but also the second best in quality. Sounds like a good combination to me.

I'll buy it anyway. I'd buy a PC and OR if the difference is substantially better.

You can go to a store today , get a galaxy s5 for $0 and a gear vr for $100 and have VR today. In a few weeks you can do the same for larger number of phones . The s5 , s6 , s6 edge , note 4 , note 5 , edge + . These phones sell the total install base of the ps4 quarterly at this point
First, no you can't. The only 2 models available are for the Note 4 and the plain S6. Second, a contract phone is financed, you pay full price for it over the course of your contract. Otherwise you can go to a store and get a PS4 for $0 with 12 month financing, or using a credit card or whatever.

A mobile phone is not a console. It is not competing for the same users and history have repeatedly proven this. Mobile is the land of micro-transaction, compulsive gambling, and pay to win. Console is the land of $70 AAA games with high production value. The overlap exist but it remains small.

You twist everything with a mental gymnastic I can't even begin to describe, it's like you first decide what conclusion you wish for, and then work your way backwards.

We were talking about the price difference between sony vr and pc vr and the difference between the two in terms of visuals which will be vast (amongst other things ) If your comparing being able to run 15tflops of gpu power in a pc when the rift releases vs 1.8 tflops of the ps4 then you might as well bring phone vr in.
the 15 TF PC will cost way more than a PS4.
Since its cheaper to get in than sony's set up and while it doesn't have the power the ps4 has , it shouldn't matter because price is in its favor
But PS3 level power, a mobile solution, isn't enough for decent VR. You appreciate that - if people were suggesting using PS3 for VR you'd be very vocal about how inadequate it is.

You can go to a store today , get a galaxy s5 for $0 and a gear vr for $100 and have VR today.
You still pay; it's just deferred. As MrFox says, get a console on credit and you have the same thing. Heck, get a $2000 PC on credit and it's $0 up front.

Phones get faster all the time , when playstation vr hits the s7 will also hit which should have an even better screen than the current ones and of course a faster apu in there.
That's ridiculous. Mobile won't be getting PS4 level performance for ages, and you already consider PS4 fairly weak for VR.
Screen resolution will be even higher than ps vr while its refresh rate will not be and we will have to see how much closer the new chipsets get.
Rendering res won't be native. There's not enough power there. Mobile solution is a novelty, not true VR.

Let's actual structure this. Do you think 1) PS3 level performance is suitable for VR and so PS4 is absolutely rockingly good? Or 2) PC with massive GF the only real solution and so PS4 is pretty weak and thus mobile VR is utterly inadequate? You can't have it both ways so which direction should the discussion settle on?

Back