All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being in the Uk with my measly 14 mbit/s connection, this just depresses me.

Really need to move house so that I can get FiOp.
Well I have BT fiber (Infinity 2 or whatever they call their 'true' unlimited service) but really, it's so moody I'm not really sure it's worth the price just for those few mega-fast downloads I do every so often.

Cox Communication.

The Residential Internet tiers are:
Ultimate; 150-180mbit; 2TB bandwidth; $100 without any bundle special prices.
Premier; 100mbit; 700GB bandwidth; $78 without bundle
Preferred; 50mbit; 350GB bandwidth; $66 without bundle
Essential; 5mbit; 250GB bandwidth; $52 without bundle

They have plans for two speed upgrades later this year to 330-350mbit then 500-550mbit, this is before they begin to roll out Gigabit service next year.

I used to pay $100 a month for ISDN 128kbit service decades back, so this still seems like a bargain price for the speed and bandwidth.

Using Cox as well, but I'm on the Preferred plan & I'm not even using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Been pretty satisfied. It can always be faster, but I'm already at my max budget. Eventually I'll get a better modem to take advantage of the faster speeds coming. BTW, I also had dual channel ISDN back in 1998-2000. I think I still have my 3COM ISDN LAN Modem somewhere. :)

Tommy McClain

Since I guess we're bragging about our internet, I have 50 mbps down cable for $47 a month unbundled. Not bad. It was $36 a month, but that was probably some special and it's recently increased.

Not sure about the cap, might be 250GB (might be higher now) it's nothing that concerns me anyway. surfing the web nearly 24/7 in the past I've only used ~60GB per month. Even if say I downloaded a 50GB Xbox One game or two any given month (only happened once? With Destiny) I still wont come close.

Just a few months ago I was slumming along at 15 mpbs, and they upgraded to 50 out of the blue free. Cant complain.

They had a 107 MB package before for like $100 a month, which I had vaguely considered but doubted I really needed, but that was when I was at 15. At 50 I have no desire to pay the extra for 107.

In sales news, NPD day is today yay!

I pay 39€ for 100Mbit internet connection, no data caps and for phone I have unlimited minutes/text messages, max speed 4G internet with no data caps for 16.95€ a month. Top that! :devilish:

Yeah, its about time the providers in the US are starting to catch up to what the best providers in Europe are offering. Hopefully with more competition by Google and Municipal coops and Title 2 FCC rules the possibility of digital only consoles will become reality.

I think 4K video is likely to use up increased bandwidth than games downloads.

Well as 4K sets become cheaper and services like Amazon and Netflix offer more and more 4K content.

I think 4K video is likely to use up increased bandwidth than games downloads.

Well as 4K sets become cheaper and services like Amazon and Netflix offer more and more 4K content.

Actually 4k video is smaller than todays typical game releases. The 4k streamed videos are barely any larger than the 1080p streamed videos. Both are fractions of what a BluRay rip is. I'd say from my experience 4k video is 8Gb at most while games are 20-60Gb. Although maybe through watching more movies than installing games the video would make up for it,but then the games have plenty of large patches that always get released.

You are comparing game sizes with low-bitrate 4K videos, most probably some shit offered by streaming services? WHY?

Bluray discs carry H264 video streams that are in the ~30mbit range, which gives us EXCELLENT video quality. With good DTS sound, that brings movies to ~30-40GB size [for one video and one audio stream, no other content included].

4K vides moved to H265 codec, which is 50% more bandwith efficient than H264, but it will still demand a lot of bandwith for great looking content. That's why, 4K Blurays will come in 66 and 100gb sizes. 4K films offered by Sony with purchse of their standalone 4K player are 60GB+.

My point is Netflix is already one of the biggest bandwidth hogs. If more and more Netflix users are streaming 4k, the sheer size of the user base will use more bandwidth.

Unless their 4k streams use the same bandwidth as their current HD streams.

Actually 4k video is smaller than todays typical game releases. The 4k streamed videos are barely any larger than the 1080p streamed videos. Both are fractions of what a BluRay rip is.
This is primarily because of H.265 and you can rip and encode a Blu-ray movie with H.265 and the resulting files will be a whole lot smaller than H.264 encodes at the same equivalent quality. And of course you can encode 4K streams with H.264.

You are comparing game sizes with low-bitrate 4K videos, most probably some shit offered by streaming services? WHY?

Bluray discs carry H264 video streams that are in the ~30mbit range, which gives us EXCELLENT video quality. With good DTS sound, that brings movies to ~30-40GB size [for one video and one audio stream, no other content included].

4K vides moved to H265 codec, which is 50% more bandwith efficient than H264, but it will still demand a lot of bandwith for great looking content. That's why, 4K Blurays will come in 66 and 100gb sizes. 4K films offered by Sony with purchse of their standalone 4K player are 60GB+.

Right, but no one (very few) will be buying digital bluray 4k movies over the internet. Thats what we're talking about, bandwidth requirements, right?

Hi all,

I noticed you guys posted a couple of charts I made here. Just thought I'd post the updated ones so you have a more up to date record.

WW%20313_zpstzm0h8hn.jpg

US1_zpsbotndiki.jpg

MARCH%20FINAL_zpsdb05rn6w.jpg

US%20TOTAL%20INSTALL_zpsnpo0tq1h.jpg

Regards,

Microsoft Xbox One was the top selling console in April NPD, up 63% YoY.
Amazon sales rankings had Sony PS4 winning April NPD.

It seems it's no longer accurate or safe to use Amazon as the sales predictor for US NPD numbers.

Also, I believe WiiU finally down this month Year-Over-Year.

VentureBeat article: http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/14/xbox-one-outsold-playstation-4-in-april-according-to-the-npd/

And the Software chart:

1.) Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
2.) Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, PC, 360, PS3)
3.) Battlefield: Hardline (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
4.) MLB 15: The Show (PS4, PS3)
5.) Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
6.) NBA 2K15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
7.) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
8.) Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
9.) Super Smash Bros. (3DS, Wii U)
10.) Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4, Xbox One)

It seems it's no longer accurate or safe to use Amazon as the sales predictor for US NPD numbers.

I'm not sure how you or whoever you read this from would possibly know how Amazon has two consoles ranked given multiple SKUs. As soon as it is not one SKU vs one SKU you cannot know a relative sales rank.

#40 + #50 > #38 + #60? You can't know this without the numbers.

Also Gamestop was having the XB1 trade in deal, so of course Amazon will not represent that skew in the data.

Lol was not expecting this. I know I've sorta given up playing this game but I don't recall any huge moves by MS.

Some sort of trade in deal?

I imagine it's because everybody had to upgrade to play the State of Decay remaster on the Xb1! Otherwise, no idea.

Gamestop had a trade-in, but I can't believe they are even a large enough retailer to move that many consoles, and it doesn't seem to be that much of a better deal than MS has been running forever. Gamestop was giving $175 off instead of $100, but it was only on a limited selection (newer) trade-in's while MS takes everything, and there have been previous bundles that were better deals.

Actual numbers would be nice, maybe Xb1 just won because PS4 had a down month? I can't really justify a Xb1 sales spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back