News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, hot damn. I can't wait for the official TV tuner to come out. I'll be all over that at 60 USD.

It'll be nice if at some point in the future they allow you to store buffered video on an external drive and allow you to allocate as much as you want. Which should allow for DVR functionality. I'd be all in for that.

Not related to the Xbox One directly, but Microsoft is now rolling out their beta dashboard program to the Xbox 360, very similar to the Xbox One. The first update of note concerns support of external media. This will allow support for using 2 external drives of up to 2TB a piece. The old limit was 16GB per external device.

All I have to say is, it's about damn time. I have about 2 years worth of free Games with Gold titles to download.

From MajorNelson : http://majornelson.com/2015/04/09/x...ogram-members-now-supporting-2tb-hard-drives/

Nice to see the X360 is still getting such great support even though XBO has been out for over a year now.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Not related to the Xbox One directly, but Microsoft is now rolling out their beta dashboard program to the Xbox 360, very similar to the Xbox One. The first update of note concerns support of external media. This will allow support for using 2 external drives of up to 2TB a piece. The old limit was 16GB per external device.

All I have to say is, it's about damn time. I have about 2 years worth of free Games with Gold titles to download.

From MajorNelson : http://majornelson.com/2015/04/09/x...ogram-members-now-supporting-2tb-hard-drives/

Storage_Screencap-5ff4819a-8145-4cdc-b1f4-0c1e10d708fa-28021500.png
A bit late for me, 'cos my 6MB connection is not meant to download large amounts of games, and the HD of my X360 Slim is mostly full, but I am thinking about buying a large HD for my XOne, storage wise, so maybe I can use it to store my entire X360 collection of games and DLC.

Well, hot damn. I can't wait for the official TV tuner to come out. I'll be all over that at 60 USD.

It'll be nice if at some point in the future they allow you to store buffered video on an external drive and allow you to allocate as much as you want. Which should allow for DVR functionality. I'd be all in for that.

Nice to see the X360 is still getting such great support even though XBO has been out for over a year now.

Regards,
SB
I hope this makes it to Europe too --here we have the official tuner but still.... I'd certainly watch more TV if that was the case. I use my X1 to watch nature documentaries with an official Xbox One app, and I used the Xbox One to watch movies via the HDMI In port, but the more possibilities the merrier.

Officially licensed Star Wars-themed controllers for Xbox One are set to be released April 30th in the US.

The available designs are Stormtrooper, R2D2, and Darth Vader designs are available. These three controllers are all wired. You get a 3 metres cord.

630x.jpg

Okay, quick! Somebody explain this to me before my head explodes.

Last generation, I thought the primary difference between wired and wireless controllers was cost. The 360 even came with a wired controller originally, didn't it? The wireless cost more, and of course, you then needed to buy charge & play kits or rechargeable batteries or constantly replace batteries that are all additional extra costs.

Why do we still have wired controllers in this generation? All versions of the console come with wireless controllers, why would anybody want a wired controller at this point? Why would anybody waste time manufacturing them? Are they so much cheaper to manufacturer that even though they sell for less, the profit margin is still worthwhile?

Or is this some sort of latency thing for "hardcore" gamers like how "true" PC gamers use wired gaming mice?

I'll admit, I didn't know there were official wired controllers for the Xbox One.

Wired, not wireless. And official, not third party. In fact nothing in your post bears any resemblance to the words in mine! ;)

Anyone try the Sling app yet? I just don't think it is enough yet, UI can be clunky, took me a bit to realize the start button had important commands.

Anyone try the Sling app yet? I just don't think it is enough yet, UI can be clunky, took me a bit to realize the start button had important commands.

There's a start button? Or do you mean the menu button? I don't think I've ever used the button on the left side of the xbox button.

I'm using the Sling app for my free month anyway, and it seems to work fairly well. It takes it a bit to initially load and if the menu guide doesn't load beneath the channels, you have to exit the app, kill it with the menu button and restart. It seems if it doesn't "sync" on the initial boot, then it never does and you'll never be able to tell what is currently playing.

The video quality is great after the initial blurry buffer that lasts a few seconds and I've only had one live buffer delay while watching a program. I haven't tried using it on anything other than the Xb1 though, so I don't know how it interacts with smartglass or anything else.

The one issue that was really annoying me turns out not to be a function of the Sling app, but of the Xb1 - closed captioning. There's a couple universal settings for closed captioning that are in the console settings.

Once I got that sorted, it was pretty good. I don't know if I'll keep my subscription though, I'd only be paying for the ESPN networks which is an additional $5 over the base $20 and really the only other thing I care about watching live other than sports is news broadcasts and Sling has a surprisingly limited selection of those.

I'm leaning towards cancelling it after my 30 days trial and then maybe subscribing again next time college football season rolls around.

Okay, quick! Somebody explain this to me before my head explodes.

Last generation, I thought the primary difference between wired and wireless controllers was cost. The 360 even came with a wired controller originally, didn't it? The wireless cost more, and of course, you then needed to buy charge & play kits or rechargeable batteries or constantly replace batteries that are all additional extra costs.

Why do we still have wired controllers in this generation? All versions of the console come with wireless controllers, why would anybody want a wired controller at this point? Why would anybody waste time manufacturing them? Are they so much cheaper to manufacturer that even though they sell for less, the profit margin is still worthwhile?

Or is this some sort of latency thing for "hardcore" gamers like how "true" PC gamers use wired gaming mice?

360 core came with wired. 360 premium (with a HDD) came with wireless. For 360, a wireless controller still transmitts signals wirelessly when you plug it in. For Xbox One, a wireless controller transmits all signals through the wire when you plug it in. Yes, this is for the "hardcore" that are sensitive to latency. Yes it's additional cost to buy optional play & charge kits which come with the rechargeable batteries. Not sure what's more convenient/cheaper about buying a whole new controller when a non-replaceable rechargeable battery quits charging in the same timeframe.

I use to buy wired controllers because they were cheaper. I simply used them as "guest" controllers.

LOL.

"Yes I love the useability of wireless controllers, but you my freeloading guest have contributed nothing to the gaming platform you see before you. And while I welcome the social and gaming interaction that you offer, I am not willing to bankroll additional features in an effort to bring you comfort. While I lounge on this lovely sofa I call my gaming throne with my wireless controller, I give you two disagreeable choices, a stool or my son's miniature chair. We shall simply call this a homefield advantage!

Now jump on the sticks while I hope the unpleasantness of your seating arrangement aids me in my plan to crush you in NBA 2k."

I use to buy wired controllers because they were cheaper. I simply used them as "guest" controllers.

LOL.

"Yes I love the useability of wireless controllers, but you my freeloading guest have contributed nothing to the gaming platform you see before you. And while I welcome the social and gaming interaction that you offer, I am not willing to bankroll additional features in an effort to bring you comfort. While I lounge on this lovely sofa I call my gaming throne with my wireless controller, I give you two disagreeable choices, a stool or my son's miniature chair. We shall simply call this a homefield advantage!

Now jump on the sticks while I hope the unpleasantness of your seating arrangement aids me in my plan to crush you in NBA 2k."

LOL

You're a terrible host.......
I love it.
:devilish:

LOL

You're a terrible host.......
I love it.
:devilish:

All is fair in love and local multiplayer. LOL.

I and my neighbor have 7 games series where we actually go back and forth to each other houses over a period of a few days. I have to actually bring my controller with me because his "guest" controller's joystick sticks to one side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back