Infamous vs. Titanfall sales. And WTF is 'hype' anyway?? *spawn

Yes of course.

But it's sales are also boosted by the enormous marketing push that the game has had since before the Xbox One launched - with the game also being a key component of MS platform adverts since launch and for many months afterwards.

And while TF sales are being boosted by being a free Xbox One pack in, Xbox One sales are being boosted by a large effective price cut that comes from having the $60 TF included.

It doesn't just work the one way.

The weirdest thing about the Chart-track list is that the PC version of Titanfall doesn't even show up there. So unless they are including the numbers in with the XB1 version it looks like it has failed to get any traction on its original intended target.

I can't see Respawn being overly happy about this. It means the total market for TF has shrunk to just the tiny numbers the XB1 can provide.

Even if the 360 version takes off it just means that they should have concentrated on making the console version the only version.

For PC Chart Track only tracks retail packaged sales not download sales. Which in USA and UK are the vast vast majority of PC sales. When was the last time you saw a boxed retail PC game?

My rough calculations figure TF is probably something around 1.25-1.5m sales already on X1. (It's probably around 175K in the UK so far, and extrapolating from there). Throw in some PC sales, and I assume it should do a million on 360, and some continuing sales...

It's not COD, obviously, but it could end up at 3-4 million or something I guess. Not bad especially given a 60 man team or so.

But it's sales are also boosted by the enormous marketing push that the game has had since before the Xbox One launched - with the game also being a key component of MS platform adverts since launch and for many months afterwards.
From what I've heard (Gaffers posts) Infamous actually has far more commercials on UK TV than TF. I dont really watch TV, nor in UK so I dunno. The online interest was clearly much greater for Infamous as well (check any thread views/posts numbers).

MOD: Corrected confusing misuse of word

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI – ISS has sold over 1.1 million units (physical copies) worldwide. Before that, preorders were above one million worldwide for ISS.

FYI – ISS has sold over 1.1 million units (physical copies) worldwide. Before that, preorders were above one million worldwide for ISS.
You dont know that. Sigh.

*cough* *cough* ;)

Global sales of Infamous: Second Son exceeded over 1 million copies within the first nine days following launch, information released by Sony Computer Entertainment Australia has revealed.

ahem! ;)

Huge pinch of salt time but rumour about Infamous:

Courtesy of our close amigo at SCE, as of March 18,2014, the game has 1 million pre-orders globally. This is the first time pre-orders for any next-gen game has reached a million before release. Below is the breakdown for the pre-orders of the game :
North America : 417,000
PAL/Europe ~326,000 . An additional ~100,000 pre-orders for the PS4-Infamous bundle.
We have gotten digital pre-order numbers for the game, which is a little over 190,000 units globally. We just do not have the split in terms of region, but we have been informed that SONY is prepping to ship around 400,000 PS4 consoles during Infamous launch weekend, globally. By looking at the pre-order numbers, it seems SONY is turning Microsoft's dream of a digital future into reality.
Seems realistic numbers for pre-order but...

I say by the end of April, ISS should be well over 2 million in worldwide sales.

Word of mouth is helping ISS, not a bunch of expensive hype. CNN Money (Tech) reviewed it, and gave it a positive review ...hell, two local news channels in Michigan reviewed it as well.

Congrats Sucker Punch! :cool:

Word of mouth is helping ISS, not a bunch of expensive hype.

There are lots of ISS adverts on UK TV, including primetime slots. It's currently the most heavily pushed game here, even more so than Titanfall.

Expensive marketing is helping ISS. If Sony weren't pushing their current big exclusive to counter Titanfall they would be doing something wrong. Sony are doing it right.

Expensive marketing is helping ISS. If Sony weren't pushing their current big exclusive to counter Titanfall they would be doing something wrong. Sony are doing it right.
A bit OT for this thread, perhaps better for the business approach thread, but one of the smartest ideas Sony had was allowing pictures and videos of people playing games to be shared with their friends. You turn on your PS4, see you friend kick ass in an inFamous Second Son clip and that piques your interest in a game you may not have given any time.

Free advertising is the best type of advertising and letting owners advertise to their friends = $$$.

There are lots of ISS adverts on UK TV, including primetime slots. It's currently the most heavily pushed game here, even more so than Titanfall.

I can't disagree with you on the UK coverage, since I don't live there. In the US however, I haven't seen the coverage you described in the UK here or enough to warrant a full media circus blitz, like Titanfall has done. Hopefully, MS or EA will discuss worldwide TF sales soon.

A bit OT for this thread, perhaps better for the business approach thread, but one of the smartest ideas Sony had was allowing pictures and videos of people playing games to be shared with their friends. You turn on your PS4, see you friend kick ass in an inFamous Second Son clip and that piques your interest in a game you may not have given any time.

Free advertising is the best type of advertising and letting owners advertise to their friends = $$$.

I think that's one of the reasons why Sony allowed this feature to be free instead of putting it behind the PS Plus paywall. It's a great way to make sure every PS4 owner has a chance see what certain games are all about, and therefore encourage future purchases for games (AAA or Indie).

The same goes for F2P and Subscription MMOs, why make it hassle for forced double dipping when can you influence the biggest audience possible to indirectly sell your game in various ways?

I don't know if TitanFall is going to outsell inF: Second Son, but the sharing functionality, limited number of exclusives, and a few decent content updates should keep SS's sales from flatlining for some time.

While Sony Celebrates 'Infamous' Sales, Microsoft/EA Still Quiet About 'Titanfall'

I'm curious as well. From what I gathered, TF B/M (brick and mortar) walk-ins are around 520K units (North America). I have no data (yet) on digital sales or bundle TF sales. If I had to guess, probably 850-925K units altogether (B/M, TF bundles, Digi-downloads) for North America alone. We shall see…

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ales-microsoftea-still-quiet-about-titanfall/

Sony took to their PlayStation blog yesterday to congratulate Sucker Punch for Infamous: Second Son racking up a million copies sold just nine days after launch. While it’s no earth-shattering COD or GTA total, those numbers are quite good, and definitely the best in the series’ history.

The news got me thinking about the fate of the other big next-gen launch title released within the past month, Titanfall. How has the game sold since its much-anticipated launch?

You won’t find Microsoft or EA blog posts boasting about sales milestones for Titanfall. Rather, you’ll see a loose collection of blogs content to guess at totals, and then VGChartz saying the game has sold 1.45M copies worldwide…as of two weeks ago…in retail stores, which is the only thing they can track.

Infamous seems to be a case of a less-hyped game beating expectations both in terms of quality, fan engagement and sales. The game well-received among critics and PS4 owners, and sold better than past games. Though the game looked good, it really wasn’t all that heavily advertised, and yet, sales and praise.

Titanfall has likely sold at least double Infamous’ 1M, but there’s been no official announcement to say that’s the case. This isn’t to say that all publishers are obligated to share private sales info, but for a game as seemingly important as Titanfall, it seems odd not to do so unless they thought the figures weren’t worthy of sharing.

t seems odd that given Titanfall’s high profile
Infamous seems to be a case of a less-hyped game beating expectations
someone should set the writer of that article to rights, infamous is more hyped because its got more replies on the beyond3d web foum ;)

They might be waiting for TF to outsell KZ or perhaps with all the bundles and all the discounts they think it's not worth advertising how little it sold in comparison to how much time, money and effort was invested in the game.

Hypothetically, IF, XB1 March global sales numbers are still lagging behind PS4 (PS4 >1m vs. XB1 <700k during March) after all the TF bundles, Forza bundles, and major price discounts …MS probably wouldn’t want to mention anything dealing with numbers quite yet. But like I said, that’s a big “IF”.

The funny thing with the numbers PR game is not talking is taken as talking these days, because of the precedent with communication. Companies blow their own trumpets. Ergo, if they're not blowing their own trumpet, there's something altogether none-too-awesome about that trumpet. So withholding numbers is only likely to get people guessing the worst.

Maybe they're waiting for 2 million sold?

The funny thing with the numbers PR game is not talking is taken as talking these days, because of the precedent with communication. Companies blow their own trumpets. Ergo, if they're not blowing their own trumpet, there's something altogether none-too-awesome about that trumpet. So withholding numbers is only likely to get people guessing the worst.

But given the feedback about how well it's selling, shouldn't it have hit 2 million by now? I can only think that they are waiting for the 360 numbers to come in. If that is drastically higher than the XB1 numbers then they'll lump them all together and blow that trumpet. But I bet they've got everything crossed that it is physically possible to cross that TF drove enough XB1 sales to be the higher number of units shifted (especially with the bundles).

* Thinking about it, if the sales are 2 million and it still isn't profitable then they will probably need the 360 numbers to make a good showing in their quarterly report otherwise it's just going to be a great big red hole where all those millions of dollars in advertising and buying rights from EA went. Especially as it seems that TF is the most hyped game through pure cash alone of any games this year and I'm betting last year as well.

I was thinking that. However in which combination?

A) XB1 TF standalone?

B) XB1 TF standalone + TF bundle?

C) XB1 TF standalone + TF bundle + PC?

D) XB1 TF standalone + TF bundle + TF XB360?

E) XB1 TF standalone + TF bundle + TF XB360 + PC?

A) Would require almost half the current XB1 install base (4.2 million) to achieve 2 million sales.

B) XB1 standalone achieved 1.3 million units worldwide, TF bundle sales around 700k units globally.

C) XB1 standalone achieved 1.3 million units worldwide, TF bundle sales around 500k units, and PC 200k units.

D) XB1 standalone achieved 1.3 million units worldwide, TF bundle sales around 500k units, and XB360 another 200k units.

E) XB1 standalone achieved 1.3 million units worldwide, TF bundle sales around 250k units, XB360 with 200k units and the PC with 250k units sold.

If we're talking strictly March sales, then option D and E couldn't be a factor, since XB360 edition didn't arrive until this month.

So what hypothetical combination would fit March's TF global sales of 2 million? If you believe TF March global sales are less or more, I still would like to hear your combination.

Not much of a battle in the UK this week

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

Week 15, 2014 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) 360 TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (02) XBO TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (04) 360 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)
04 (07) 360 SOUTH PARK: THE STICK OF TRUTH (UBISOFT)
05 (NE) 360 LEGO THE HOBBIT (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
06 (15) PS3 SOUTH PARK: THE STICK OF TRUTH (UBISOFT)
07 (06) 360 PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
08 (03) PS4 INFAMOUS: SECOND SON (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
09 (11) 360 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
10 (NE) XBO KINECT SPORTS: RIVALS (MICROSOFT)

I can work out a very rough TF XBO weekly number later maybe. But I dont think it's very high.

Edit: Maybe something like ~ 11,200 XBO TF this week. Or call it 10k-15k, lots of margin for error.

So that would in turn mean ~30k for 360 version. Quite poor.

My prediction of 1m worldwide lifetime for the 360 version might be pretty off in that case...might end up more like 500-700k.

Not much of a battle in the UK this week

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

I can work out a very rough TF XBO weekly number later maybe. But I dont think it's very high.

Edit: Maybe something like 8300 for XBO TF this week. Assuming I didn't make some glaring error like forget a week, which is possible.

Edit2: If Chart is counting TF bundles sales, and I believe they do, that might seem to make XBO weekly hardware sales too low. But I guess it depends how many non-TF bundles are selling?

At this point I would presume that the majority of TF sales will be through bundles now as the stand alone purchasers will have finished their feeding frenzy.

Back