Effects of next gen consoles on you to buy a new HDTV?

The best 3D I experienced on my friend's set was Assassin's Creed (whichever version). Other games didn't work very well, either with difficulty focussing (converging the two images) or lack of depth. GT5 had good 3D once set up (there's a 3D option that allows for Eye Breaking mode!) but when viewing into the distance, depth was limited, so it didn't greatly impact the game. AC looked 3D, felt 3D, and was comfortable to view.

I just finished Crysis HD in 3D (not on tv, on HMZ-T2) and it was great, however, Crysis 2 it's much better! I just started now and I am impressed. (i'm talking about the 3D effect).
I dont understand why 3D seems to be slowing in gaming, I hope it's just transient...

I just finished Crysis HD in 3D (not on tv, on HMZ-T2) and it was great, however, Crysis 2 it's much better! I just started now and I am impressed. (i'm talking about the 3D effect).
I expect the HMZ to be much better in 3D quality than a 3D TV. We looked at Crysis on the PS3 and LG passive 3D, and it wasn't perfect.

I think the main reason 3D is slowing is it doesn't actually add anything to the experience. Turning a game 3D doesn't make it play differently, and doesn't particularly add to the immersion because you're still obviously separated from the game. I think 3D really need HMD's with head-tracking for VR to really be of value.

I'm was reffering also to the PS3 versions of Crysis.

For me, ad least, 3D add a lot to my immersion in the game - for instance Uncharded 2 and 3 gave me some unforgettable memories because of 3D, these games are simply not the same without 3D!

Shifty, I replied to your post in your own thread here:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=54938&page=4

I agree with baten, from my own experience with games. Crysis on a Philips and active 3D glasses looked awesome to me.

Besides that, I am supportive of VR, although I rather prefer 3D glasses and 3D TVs because the glasses are really comfortable. I am short-sighted since I was 3 years old and I know what I am talking about.

One of the things I don't like about the Occulus Rift is that it is bulky and I'd feel weird wearing it. You just have to add to that you lose awareness of your real life environment, while with the glasses you still can enjoy a 3D experience and being aware of your surroundings.

Davros, thanks for the link. It is compatible with Intel Graphics, woot! I have the Skyrim version of Steam -gotta reinstall it after installing Windows 8.1- although I barely played it, and when I did it was because of the mods. Those 3D drivers might help me to get into the game again, because it is not 3D compatible on consoles.

Personally i hated 3D gaming this generation. No idea why but when watching bluray movies in 3D the 'double image' effect never appears on my TV, but when playing games it's all double. Makes it pretty much unplayable. I'd hope next gen will fix that? I don't even know if it's a problem with my TV or something to do with the PS3.
And that's before i start talking about the degradation in image quality - from resolution to texture detail.

EDIT: I just noticed there's a 3D games thread somewhere else, perhaps we should discuss this there...

I just want a pair of glasses that turn the real world 2D. That way games will never be any less than amazing!

Someone could easily make a mirror/prism based system that sends the same image to both eyes. Dunno why any would though. ;) Some scientist must have that equipment for studying depth perception or something.

I just want a pair of glasses that turn the real world 2D. That way games will never be any less than amazing!
Easy! Use a rock, break your glasses without shattering the lenses. Them wear your glasses again. Is this 2D enough?

Personally i hated 3D gaming this generation. No idea why but when watching bluray movies in 3D the 'double image' effect never appears on my TV, but when playing games it's all double. Makes it pretty much unplayable. I'd hope next gen will fix that? I don't even know if it's a problem with my TV or something to do with the PS3.
And that's before i start talking about the degradation in image quality - from resolution to texture detail.

EDIT: I just noticed there's a 3D games thread somewhere else, perhaps we should discuss this there...
I still have to watch some movies on the TV but other than that I couldn't be happier with the 3D effect. If anything there can be some ghosting at times.

Resolution seems the same for me, at least in Crysis, same can be said about the texture detail.

The TV has everything I wanted. It only lacks the Ambilight effect, which was invented by Philips and it is something unique some others could imitate.

I was very tempted in fact to buy the Philips 32PFL5008T -it has 32", 40", 42", 46" and 50" versions- because of that, a better Perfect Motion Rate of 300MHz -mine is 200MHz- and passive 3D -out of curiosity, mine is active-.

My TV is from the 4500 series and the 5008T is from the 5000 series, but they are more or less the same.

When playing regular games in 2D I noticed that the colours look like 100x more varied and rich than in my previous good ol' Samsung. Playing Pinball FX2 on the Samsung and on the Philips is like an entirely different thing.

On the Philips it feels like the game has a million colours -not exaggerating, trust me on this one-. Now I know why they said in the reviews back then -2007/2008- that the model of the Samsung TV had poor colours.

I didn't care much, calibrated the TV and happily played games throughout all this generation. But now I know what they were talking about. I think a lot of it has to do with LED and Micro Dimming technology, which allows for everything to look more natural with better contrast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick note: I forgot to mention that the input lag of the TV I purchased is indeed very low. I tested it on 60 fps games and input lag sensitive games like Rock Band Blitz and what can I say, there is no perceivable lag at all. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so. Just sayin'....

This picture shows the difference in contrast and colour quality (which I mentioned in my previous post) using a LED TV with Micro Dimming -or also Local Dimming, though these ones are so expensive- compared to regular TVs

phlips-backlight.jpg

micro-dimming-pro.jpg

We're actually building a new house which should be done around Feb-March, perfect excuse to make a full blown media room :D

Originally I was planning on getting a huge TV, like 85", but the cost is really high. And you end up with this mammoth piece of electronics, weighing 120lbs, which is very hard to install or move in the future. Apparently the visual quality, and viewing angles of those huge TVs aren't that great either... according to reviews I've read.

I decided in the end to go with a 1080p projector, it will allow me to have a 120" screen, with amazing quality, all for the fairly low price of around $2000. Something like this:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414385,00.asp

All the reviews say this thing has amazing viewing angles, killer black levels, extreme brightness levels, and it's ultra versatile. What's not to like?

I've had the builders mount a power outlet, and HDMI in the ceiling, about 15ft back from the wall, should be epic :D

I kinda don't want to unbox my next gen systems while I'm still at the old house, but I know I will...

If its a 8bit panel it should have 16.8 million colours
69 billion colours. :yep2:Mine is from the 4500 series.

Just look at the 8000 series, that's a lifetime supply of colours. :smile: 2.250 Trillion colours.

3bafaba713838a91b2a09f3e09a2fb91_XL.jpg

We're actually building a new house which should be done around Feb-March, perfect excuse to make a full blown media room :D

Originally I was planning on getting a huge TV, like 85", but the cost is really high. And you end up with this mammoth piece of electronics, weighing 120lbs, which is very hard to install or move in the future. Apparently the visual quality, and viewing angles of those huge TVs aren't that great either... according to reviews I've read.

I decided in the end to go with a 1080p projector, it will allow me to have a 120" screen, with amazing quality, all for the fairly low price of around $2000. Something like this:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414385,00.asp

All the reviews say this thing has amazing viewing angles, killer black levels, extreme brightness levels, and it's ultra versatile. What's not to like?

I've had the builders mount a power outlet, and HDMI in the ceiling, about 15ft back from the wall, should be epic :D

I kinda don't want to unbox my next gen systems while I'm still at the old house, but I know I will...
Yes, the temptation is too difficult to overcome, whether you are moving soon or not. Since you are moving it might be different for you but when you actually have the console with you will probably end up asking yourself why not to open it....

The TV I purchased was meant to be used for the first time with the Xbox One...to no avail. Once I got it I couldn't help it but open the box. I am so happy I did. It brought new life to my Xbox 360, my full collection of games and I have seen details and colours I had never seen before.

Playing the Xbox 360 on the new TV is a delight and everything has more life and looks much more vivid. The muted colours, lack of contrast between different parts of the image from the previous TV is all gone. I am glad I kinda took my time to purchase a new TV.

In regards to the projector you are considering to buy... Holy crap! I wish I could afford that, it sounds like a lot of fun...and nice to have. Especially if it can display a huge screen in your living room. If I were you though I would buy a decent "relatively budget" full HD TV -plasma, LED, etc- too though, because there some really good ones out there and can offer other possibilities to complement your projector. And it never hurts having both.

You are a lucky boy.

I expect the HMZ to be much better in 3D quality than a 3D TV. We looked at Crysis on the PS3 and LG passive 3D, and it wasn't perfect.

I think the main reason 3D is slowing is it doesn't actually add anything to the experience. Turning a game 3D doesn't make it play differently, and doesn't particularly add to the immersion because you're still obviously separated from the game. I think 3D really need HMD's with head-tracking for VR to really be of value.

I think the main issue for me is that the 3D does affect the experience ... Negatively. I'm a huge fan, and one of the best examples on PS3 for instance was Zen Pinball 2, which just blows your mind when you first see it. But the penalty is too big for a pinball game: a lot more lag. I got more excited in the end by the Vita version of the same game, which thanks to the OLED, has some of the least lag I've ever experienced. This is why I am still leaning towards the Sony.

So right now, while you have a choice between 2D and 3D and the game taxes the hardware, 3D comes at a big price, often too big. The best experience is on PC with, imiho, 3DVision. If you have powerful enough hardware you can run a game well beyond console quality but still in 3D.

This is why I would probably be in favor of a solution where you could get a 3D version of a console that costs more, but gives you the same game, framerate, resolution and detail, but in full 3D.

Movies tend to look fantastic though, even on my cheap 27" passive LG that I use in my study.

Quick note: I forgot to mention that the input lag of the TV I purchased is indeed very low. I tested it on 60 fps games and input lag sensitive games like Rock Band Blitz and what can I say, there is no perceivable lag at all. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so. Just sayin'....

In the other Rock Band games you can actually measure the input lag you are getting. Can you try that with your TV?

Back