Christian Gyrling has decided to leave Naughty Dog

Remij

Veteran

Damn, wasn't expecting to see that tweet! He's been absolutely integral to Naughty Dog's growth and technical prowess over the years, in my opinion deserves some massive recognition. A lot of Naughty Dog's reputation was built off how technically accomplished their titles always were. Even going back to the days of Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin. Christian and the team really helped push the medium forward.. especially during the PS3 era.

This is NOT a concern or doom/gloom thread! This is NOT meant to be anything other than what it is. Someone who has simply decided to move on to other things after a long service. I just think that it's an important event for Naughty Dog and thus should be discussed.

(y)

:yep2:

🤔

So, technical lead leaving. Hmmm...🤔

Naughty Dog are DOOMED! :runaway:
LOL! He was also Vice President!

Abandon Ship!:runaway:

In all seriousness though. Good for him. I wonder where he'll end up next? I'd love for him to remain in gaming, but it must be pretty tempting to push into other areas after such a long tenure!

Also might as well post this awesome presentation he gave about parallelizing the Naughty Dog engine coming off the PS3 gen leading into the PS4.

LOL! He was also Vice President!
He's been steadily promoted since being lead developer on The Last of Us (the original), through to Head of Technology then he made a vice president when Neil Druckmann was promoted to a co-president a few years back. It feels like that once you've headed up a big team, your opportunities to move upwards in Naughty Dog are fairly limited short of more senior people themselves leaving.

Seventeen years in one organisation feels insane to me. I don't know how people do it. After ten years in any field I'm looking for a completely new challenge!

I think he is moving back to Sweden :D No idea, but I think he is originally from Sweden, looks like he studied at the University in Halmstad.

Like with any of these things , 19 years is a long time to be in a single job. I couldn't even imagine it. I am 42 now and so thinking about it, I would have had to enter a company at 23. Imagine just how much a person would change during that time.

I hope he goes on to his next great thing and is just as happy as he was at Naughty dog.

Back