iOS 7

It's NDA'ed. They took care of the issue.
That's good to hear, although a more thorough explanation would of course be interesting to hear, once embargo is lifted etc. :)

iOS7 goes beyond wallpaper parallax.
Oh, I should absolutely hope so. I would like them to do something about the awful lock system of iOS, it's very fiddly to do the slide thing to unlock your phone, and then having to unlock again by tapping in a code. Android solves that much more elegantly with combined slide and code entry.

If it galls apple too much to simply copy android's method of unlocking (or say, it's covered by some ridiculous, bullshit patent), I would suggest a grid of numbers consisting of repeating vertical columns of numerals 0-9. You slide up or down each column and jump over to the next column at the number that represents your code.

...Or something. :) Shit, I should draw a diagram and license the patent for [pinky]A MILLION DOLLARS![/pinky] :LOL:

iOS6 apps will feel dated.
iOS looked dated even when it was released IMO. Graphically it's always been very boring, until this update. I'm very intrigued.

Being able to immediately convey their function to the user should remain the priority of GUI elements (e.g. the slider track of the old unlock screen); Apple of all companies shouldn't have taken some steps back in that. Still, several of the new elements and the groundwork itself of iOS 7's design do bring important functional improvement.

Hopefully, they'll be phasing in a lot more mobile GPGPU with this new version and enable some broader access like OpenCL or similar, even if there needs to be some limitations on full developer access.

Being able to immediately convey their function to the user should remain the priority of GUI elements (e.g. the slider track of the old unlock screen)
You can have conveyability while at the same time making the UI look pretty and fresh and juicy and moist. Hopefully sliders will still have tracks in iOS7, even without the felt, fake wood panelling and ring-bound lined paper backgrounds.

Hopefully, they'll be phasing in a lot more mobile GPGPU with this new version and enable some broader access like OpenCL or similar, even if there needs to be some limitations on full developer access.
Well OpenCL appeared as a private framework in iOS 5 alongside Core Image, which makes sense since at least in OS X while Core Image was originally accelerated by OpenGL it has since incorporated OpenCL acceleration. No idea how much of a role OpenCL plays in Core Image on iOS, although they've had 2 years to refine it and it would certainly be timely since Core Image is no doubt being well leveraged in the new iOS 7 UI.

Well OpenCL appeared as a private framework in iOS 5 alongside Core Image, which makes sense since at least in OS X while Core Image was originally accelerated by OpenGL it has since incorporated OpenCL acceleration. No idea how much of a role OpenCL plays in Core Image on iOS, although they've had 2 years to refine it and it would certainly be timely since Core Image is no doubt being well leveraged in the new iOS 7 UI.

Right now there's no new information about OpenCL on iOS 7. However, one problem with OpenCL 1.1 is that a misbehaved OpenCL kernel could stall the entire GPU for several seconds, so unless it's solved I think it's unlikely that we'll be able to write custom OpenCL kernel on iOS devices.

It's possible to use OpenGL ES 2.0 with shaders to do some limited GPU accelerated processing though.

Here's some interesting information from Gokhan Avkarogullari of the iOS GPU driver group.

https://twitter.com/gavkar/status/344355585984196608
No OpenCL driver. SGX does not natively support OpenCL.
https://twitter.com/gavkar/status/344310645090562048
SGX does not support MRTs we do not consider splitting 64-bit render targets two 32-bit ones as a good solution.
https://twitter.com/gavkar/status/344310919142191104
No MRTs or transform feedback. HW does not support either.
I don't think Imagination's ever claimed transform feedback support for Series5 XT so no iOS support there is fine. However, between Imagination's claims of OpenCL and MRT support for Series5 XT and Gokhan Avkarogullari's claims that the hardware doesn't natively support it, is OpenCL and MRT support in Series5 XT actually emulated or otherwise has many limitations? Or is lack of native support for OpenCL and MRT just an issue for the SGX543 and not latter SGX544/554?

With iOS 7 adding instancing support, vertex texture fetch, and expanding sRGB support, OpenCL and MRT being out, and iOS already supporting OES3.0 features like sync objects, buffer subrange mapping, boolean occlusion queries, and some of the additional texture formats, is there much major functionality in the Series5 XT yet to be revealed? Multisampled render to texture and uniform buffer objects are available on newer drivers on Android, but beyond that...

The claim that SGX doesn't natively support OpenCL is spurious at best. It's true that the front-end isn't contextually aware of compute threads as a thing, like Rogue is, but that doesn't mean there's no native support.

The OpenCL compute tasks happen on the GPU and we have a conforming implementation of the API for SGX (both Series 5 and Series 5XT).

As for MRTs, SGX (quite obviously, IMHO, even without knowledge of the hardware) does support them.

Updated my lowly iPhone4 to iOS7 couple hours ago. The overall design looks better, but damn, my phone really took it on the chin performance-wise! And iP4 doesn't even get the parallaxed background or realtime blurry layering effect either (too slow GPU, I would think).

Yeah, the performance hit is rather major. Apple REALLY wants me to buy a new phone, it seems... ;) Flipping between pages of icons on the home screen is jerkier, and stuff like tabbing beteween numbers or dates when setting calendar events and such is sluggish and decidedly un-fluid-like. Code input on things like the lock screen or SIM unlock screen can also lag behind my finger presses, that's not very good.

Also, having a bunch of apps sitting in the background seems to slow the phone down further, this also seems excarbated of course by iOS's unwillingness to actually quit apps when leaving them. Anecdotal, sure. I admit, I haven't tested this very well, but that's my first impression.

The new control center whatsitscalled thingy you get when swiping up is great. I love the built-in flashlight functionality, and quick access to music controls, airplane mode and wifi and stuff like that, calculator and stopwatch, I use the lattermost in particular a lot, especially when cooking things like my morning oatmeal and so on. This is double-plus good, IMO. I'm a little less enthused that access to the camera now requires an extra swipe instead of just a tap at the lock screen, but...*shrug* Oh well. Hope this screen doesn't make too many sudden, unwanted surprise visits for people playing games, though. ;)

Overall, iOS has gotten the look it should have had all along, IMO. The ugly grey gradients and bevels are gone. So is the insulting, tacky skeumorphism, I wonder how much Steve Jobs would have hated this new iOS. I hope - for his sake - he'd come to understand that this is better than the admittedly functional, but still flawed, visual appearance apple portable devices have had up until now.

Sure, there are still shortcomings, the calculator app lost functionality for example, but does it really matter? Don't think so. The look and functionality will undoubtedly get further refined down the road, at least apple's off to a good start IMO.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/ios-7-thoroughly-reviewed/

FTqrWyN.png

Ouch, that hurts for the iPhone 5. I think I'll be postponing my upgrade to iOS 7.

That looks like something went wrong with their testing. Yes, the iPhone 5 will have lower battery life with iOS 7, just like all other iOS devices, but the decrease they show on Arstechnica is much worse than the other reviews I've seen. Other reviews put it at 10 to 20% worse. It seems that it is mainly idle power usage that has gone up.

That looks like something went wrong with their testing. Yes, the iPhone 5 will have lower battery life with iOS 7, just like all other iOS devices, but the decrease they show on Arstechnica is much worse than the other reviews I've seen. Other reviews put it at 10 to 20% worse. It seems that it is mainly idle power usage that has gone up.
They say in the review they re-tested twice both on iOS7 and 6 to validate the bad results.

Could be that the new graphical effects hit iP5 battery life harder than other models. For some unknown reason. Turning them off might help.

Anyway, the battery life test consists (AFAIR) of loading web pages every 15 secs over and over until the phone dies - how realistic IS that really? Not very, methinks. I'm not sure how representative this test really is of a real-world battery life situation. In any case, the upgrades in iOS7 are too great to skip out on methinks. Of course, others might feel different...

As for myself, I'm never going back though. :D

Saw it today. A bit colorful me thinks. I like how they 'borrowed' the multi tasking thing from android. Pity you've gotta tap the home key twice. When will apple free themselves from the single home button. If the single button mouse is anything to go by us iOS users will suffer for a good while yet

No, the enhanced multi-tasking support is the thing that's hitting the batteries harder. More applications are allowed to do more in the background.

My first impressions are ... meh. The new OS has nice animations, but it the colors just make it feel cheap, childish. Not a fan. Someone else compared it to 'Metro' (Win8), which is not really a compliment. I wouldn't go that far, but I do see where he's coming from, and once Windows 8 spices up their UI a bit with transparancy options, they will get even closer.

There's plenty of good improvements in the system though, so functionally I'm happy with it. But the new UI leaves me cold.

Did Ars have any other apps in the background then during their test? If not, then this can't be the reason...

Back