iOS 7

The new iOs7 design can't be serious. The color composition is devastating, just like an amateur design. The control center (or whatever its called) makes me vomit! Meh.

Looking at your posts and other forums ( including more general consumers based sites ), i see im not the only one who think they have nearly take all they can to anyone ( we find a bit of MS, a bit of Android, a bit of BB ).

For sure, some news features are nice for peoples who have allways use iOS, but really its just backup Android features and other OS ( and even in the style its a bit hard to find a real "own " direction ).

I will test it when out and maybe my opinion will change..

The new iOs7 design can't be serious. The color composition is devastating, just like an amateur design. The control center (or whatever its called) makes me vomit! Meh.

I actually kind of like the new design. Their current design in a way always seemed a little toy like to me. I'll reserve judgement for until I have had a chance to play with a final build though. I'm mainly wondering what it'll look like on my iPad (3rd generation).

I actually kind of like the new design. Their current design in a way always seemed a little toy like to me. I'll reserve judgement for until I have had a chance to play with a final build though. I'm mainly wondering what it'll look like on my iPad (3rd generation).

What?!? The new design looks like barbie!

I much prefer the new style I must say. I never really liked the original iOS design, it was very drab and grey and visually unexciting, and not particularly well implemented or imaginative. It merely did its job, and no more.

The control center seems a bit messy layout wise, there's a lot of icons and design elements on one single page, but I suppose you get used to it after using it for a while. My main concern as I mentioned in my OP is, how will this new style work out in bright environs? With so much white and so many thin lines and thin fonts, when the screen contrast is really bad, will this graphical style still work or won't I be able to see a god damn thing?

The control center seems a bit messy layout wise, there's a lot of icons and design elements on one single page, but I suppose you get used to it after using it for a while. My main concern as I mentioned in my OP is, how will this new style work out in bright environs? With so much white and so many thin lines and thin fonts, when the screen contrast is really bad, will this graphical style still work or won't I be able to see a god damn thing?
http://gizmodo.com/ios-7-instead-of-flatness-we-got-depth-512291484

The biggest—and perhaps most elegant—element of the new system is its responsivity. For example, iOS 7 uses the accelerometer to adapt the screen in parallax, achieving those new sorts of depth Ive mentioned. And using the phone’s light meter, it seems that the new icons and background adapt to the lighting to improve readability automatically—a bit like the previous iOS' ability to adapt screen brightness to environmental conditions.
Gizmodo reports that the icons and background scheme use the ambient light sensor to adapt to the environment so hopefully that helps outdoors. An article comment also speculates that the parallax effect helps too because the ability of the layers underneath to shift with movement helps the eyes distinguish the static contents of the top layers. Although it'll have to be a careful balance between having the under layers jump all over the place with slightly unsteady hands and having to require large hand movements just to read the text.

With the dynamic nature of the UI due to the physics engine and integration of data from the various sensors, the UI likely needs to be judged in-use since screenshots can't convey any of that.

I do not like iOS 7. Blurred translucencies are not as effective for Z-order and chrome indication without drop shadows, and their usability/readability is affected by the content they overlay. The addition of more system-wide edge swipe triggers interferes with app interaction and relies on hidden mystery meat gestures. The iconography throughout is schizophrenic, obtuse, and often hideous (Safari). The faux-3D homescreen parallax seems like ostentatious gimmickry, and the overall aesthetic is incoherent.

After using the beta for a day, I think the looks will eventually grow on me. I didn't think there was anything fundamentally wrong with the existing one. What I really like is that there are much more swiping to get something done instead of tapping a button. The iPhone 5 screen is already borderline too tall for single handed use with the buttons at the top. Swiping solves that problem nicely (as it already does on other OSes.)

I was a bit surprised that I needed to swipe to take calls and turn off the phone, rather than just push the large "button".

That seems a bit off but I like the new feel and direction where this is headed, although some of the app logos are just plain ... well ... undesirable. Tone the green down slightly.

That seems a bit off but I like the new feel and direction where this is headed, although some of the app logos are just plain ... well ... undesirable. Tone the green down slightly.

Yeah I've been thinking the same - too many colour gradients for something that's trying to look classy and under-stated. Overall I think it's better, but I get there feeling there's been some heated meetings at Apple HQ and some compromises have been made along the way.

Yeah I've been thinking the same - too many colour gradients for something that's trying to look classy and under-stated. Overall I think it's better, but I get there feeling there's been some heated meetings at Apple HQ and some compromises have been made along the way.
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/06/12/why-does-the-design-of-ios-7-look-so-different/

Apparently the inside story of the iOS 7 icon design process is that the look and color pallet was actually set out by the Marketing and Communications department. Apple's marketing prowess is well known of course, but I'm really not sure having the marketing department come up with the UI style for your OS is a good idea. Ive reportedly did that because he wanted new blood to come up with a new direction. Those guidelines were then sent to different app design teams to come up with each icon and apparently there wasn't much coordination after that point between each app team which is why there are inconsistencies. Apple's reportedly aware of this and are already testing changes in newer builds so hopefully things get refined for the final release.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/06/12/why-does-the-design-of-ios-7-look-so-different/

Apparently the inside story of the iOS 7 icon design process is that the look and color pallet was actually set out by the Marketing and Communications department. Apple's marketing prowess is well known of course, but I'm really not sure having the marketing department come up with the UI style for your OS is a good idea. Ive reportedly did that because he wanted new blood to come up with a new direction. Those guidelines were then sent to different app design teams to come up with each icon and apparently there wasn't much coordination after that point between each app team which is why there are inconsistencies. Apple's reportedly aware of this and are already testing changes in newer builds so hopefully things get refined for the final release.

You know, the R&D department of Apple represent less of 8% of the marketing department in term of investment.. ( its not a joke, ... ) .. You know why this is department who developp things and idea.

You know, the R&D department of Apple represent less of 8% of the marketing department in term of investment.. ( its not a joke, ... ) .. You know why this is department who developp things and idea.
I'm going out on a limb and guess that you're using their world-wide advertising expenses as 'investments in marketing department'? ;)

It is true that their R&D is very low compared to companies as a percentage of their total sales. That's one of the benefits of having only so little products that they all easily fit on a table yet still $40B of them each quarter.

But the conclusion that their marketing department is the one who develop things is ... interesting.

So it sounds like iOS7 uses more of the GPU that they've been putting into their SOCs than previous OSes.

Wonder if the animations and the new multitasking will significantly decrease battery life on existing devices.

http://gadgetunit.com/2013/06/10/ap...ed&utm_campaign=Feed:+GadgetUnit+(Gadget+Unit)

Someone's posted the full release notes for the iOS 7 beta 1. Some interesting details include:

-physics in UIKit with gravity, collision, oscillation, and damping
-Sprite Kit framework with built-in rendering, animation, sound, and physics engine to speed up 2D/2.5D game development
-Game Controller framework for official standardized support for third-party controllers
-Multipeer Connectivity framework allows peer-to-peer communication in an app without the internet and separate from Air Drop
-new OpenGL ES extensions: EXT_sRGB, GL_APPLE_pvrtc_sRGB, GL_APPLE_draw_instanced, and GL_APPLE_instanced_arrays
-support for 60 fps video recording

I attended the game controller session on Tuesday, plus one of the UIKit presentations.

It's a work in progress, but if you attended the UIKit presentations, you can see clearer where this is going.

It's not like Metro because Metro is flat, with great typography and tiled highlights.

It's not like Android because Android is also flat and desktop-like (e.g., widgets, cards).

It's not like iOS6 because iOS6 is even more desktop-like (skeumorphism) than Android. It is also flat despite heavy use of gradient and shadows.

In a weird way, iOS7 is *not* flat despite the flat icons. The translucent layers, parallax effects, etc. are only the shallow part of the UI. I think people will see the design elements of iOS7 more clearly when the apps start to take advantage of the new APIs. Kinda like what this guy said:
http://thisisentropy.com/chatterbox/2013/6/12/start-preparing-for-ios-7-now

Wonder if the animations and the new multitasking will significantly decrease battery life on existing devices.
That's an interesting concern. When you're on the homescreen, the parallax effect would cause the screen to update constantly as long as you hold the device in your hand (unless you are a robot and have perfect precision in your extremities...) Since you don't spend too much time staring at the home screen I doubt it'll suck too much juice, but I'm not sure if the parallax effect will be visible inside apps too (like if it's an optional API to enable it.)

If yes then it could become more substantial I suppose, despite TBDR rendering because of all the transparent stuff.

Of all the articles I have read about iOS7 so far, I like that one best.
You need to watch the lectures on developer.apple.com, and then read that article, then it will make more sense. There is a technical reason why the marketing and marcom teams are asked to do the icons first.

Updated my phone with the beta. At first I hated the new UI (Mostly legibility issues), but there are significant improvements in iOS7 that made me forego iOS6.

After watching the developer videos, I can also somewhat predict what changes/improvements they will make for the next few seeds. In this first release, they have laid down the visual architecture and technical plumbing for iOS7. They need the developers to go change their apps asap while Apple complete the rest of the work.

Also most iOS7 screenshots won't do the real UI justice. You need to experience the UI on the phone itself. This is because the look interact with the glossy glass screen and lighting. In a jpeg file, it's just a dead collection of pixels.

That's an interesting concern. When you're on the homescreen, the parallax effect would cause the screen to update constantly as long as you hold the device in your hand (unless you are a robot and have perfect precision in your extremities...) Since you don't spend too much time staring at the home screen I doubt it'll suck too much juice, but I'm not sure if the parallax effect will be visible inside apps too (like if it's an optional API to enable it.)

If yes then it could become more substantial I suppose, despite TBDR rendering because of all the transparent stuff.

Watch the developer videos (if you pay $99 to join their developer program). Your questions are answered there.

It's NDA'ed. They took care of the issue.

The keynote presentation only gave a very shallow look of the OS. iOS7 goes beyond wallpaper parallax. Many of the demoes showed only the tip of the iceberg, especially when the third party apps are updated. iOS6 apps will feel dated.

Back