iOS 7

I just updated my iP4 to iOS7, it does look kinda similar to Metro with regards to fonts and the clean look. Overall I do like it compared to the old style. It doesn't feel any slower or less smooth. That said I do like the new compass app and the quick menu to turn on/off WiFi, BT, airplane mode etc. I've only used it for a few minutes but so far it's a nice improvement. I'm also glad it's compatible with iP4 even though I'll be upgrading to iP5S soon...at least I can use it as a dedicated non-phone device.

I've been using it since the first beta and I sure wouldn't go back to iOS6.

I generally like the changes and quite happy it got a new layer of paint and ditched the emphasis on skeuomorphisms.

Did Ars have any other apps in the background then during their test? If not, then this can't be the reason...

I do see (and all my colleagues too) that the battery is draining really fast. I think I'm finding a few different reasons for this:

1. The Settings - General - Background App Refresh ... I've switched it off now.
2. People are updating apps, either manually, or they've enabled the auto-update function (which I declined during the setup and I'd personally strongly recommend against, and certainly if you have a lot of apps), draining the WiFi fast

Even so, there seems to be something going on. My 4S seems hardly capable of recharging itself over USB now. This wasn't fast before, mind (it's a crappy cable I think, with only USB1 support), but it definitely seems worse.

Especially setting 1 seemed to be draining my iPad fast, though who knows that the auto-adjust brightness also was keeping itself brighter than before.

in ios6, when you double-clicked, you could kill of any "running" apps in there.

in ios7, I don't see a way of doing this (at least the old way doesn't work). Now that apps have more possibility to be actually doing something in the background, I'd thought it would have been more important to be able to get rid of them as and when.

Update...OH...OH...OH... swipe upwards on the representation of the app and it disappears !

in ios6, when you double-clicked, you could kill of any "running" apps in there.

in ios7, I don't see a way of doing this (at least the old way doesn't work). Now that apps have more possibility to be actually doing something in the background, I'd thought it would have been more important to be able to get rid of them as and when.

Double tap the home button, touch the picture of the application window and swipe upwards

Update...OH...OH...OH... swipe upwards on the representation of the app and it disappears !

Yeah, it's actually much easier and faster now.

By the way, slightly off-topic, but on the topic of calculators: how cool is something like MyScript Calculator? And Algebra Touch is pretty cool too.

Biggest surprise/disappointment re. iOS7 in general, and the camera app in particular, is the lack of built-in QR code scanning. Why on earth isn't it doing this automatically, or at least with the touch of an on-screen button if it's too much of a drain on the CPU to constantly work over the image looking for QR data...?

It's so wacky that you need a separate app just for this tiny little thing.

I really would have wanted NFC too in iP5S at least, but apple will be apple, so not this year and probably never.

No, the enhanced multi-tasking support is the thing that's hitting the batteries harder. More applications are allowed to do more in the background.

I'm not sure about this. Old apps still behave as in iOS 6, i.e. they aren't allowed to run in the background anymore than they had been allowed, and there are very few iOS 7 apps right now. I doubt any built-in apps make any difference as they'd already been able to run in the background if necessary in iOS 6.

Old apps still behave as in iOS 6, i.e. they aren't allowed to run in the background anymore than they had been allowed
HMM... When I first started up my phone after it finished updating to version 7, there was a WHOLE BUNCH of apps loaded/running on it, more than had been there before I even started the update process. The interface felt very sluggish and laggy. I quit most of the open apps, and suddenly the phone felt snappier.

Anecdotal, yeah, but it's a data point of some kind at least.

HMM... When I first started up my phone after it finished updating to version 7, there was a WHOLE BUNCH of apps loaded/running on it, more than had been there before I even started the update process. The interface felt very sluggish and laggy. I quit most of the open apps, and suddenly the phone felt snappier.

Anecdotal, yeah, but it's a data point of some kind at least.

I'm not completely sure about this, but I guess it's probably something like this: when you finished updating the OS, it has to reboot. After reboot, it relaunch all apps you have been running before reboot (like how MacOS X Mountain Lion does). Then the OS starting to put each apps in the background, but it may take some time.

To verify this, I think you could observe, by normal usage, when you have the number of background apps back to the previous amount, whether the interface is sluggish and laggy as right after it rebooted.

I'm having thirty or more apps in the background right now on my iPhone 5, and it isn't sluggish at all. Though I have iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 for quite a while, from beta days.

So have you noticed the lower battery life?

I've updated my iPad 3 but not my iPhone 5 yet. Thinking maybe they do a dot release to address the battery concerns and I could hold off until then.

I HATE the new iTunes, makes managing podcasts way more busy.

So have you noticed the lower battery life?

I've updated my iPad 3 but not my iPhone 5 yet. Thinking maybe they do a dot release to address the battery concerns and I could hold off until then.

I happened to be testing GPS with my iPhone 5 quite a lot recently, so I don't really have good data points (GPS monitoring requires a lot of power). However, I think it's probably safe to say, on my iPhone 5, iOS 7 has lower battery life than iOS 6. From Ars Technica's test results, there probably are some battery life related bugs in iOS 7 for iPhone 5.

I also have been using iOS 7 on my iPad 3 for even longer than on my iPhone 5, and I didn't notice any batter life problem (though iPad 3 already have pretty good battery life, so it's harder to notice any anomaly).

Hey I'd love to be able to store credit cards on my phone and never have to take them out again.

But the problem is, NFC hasn't taken off. The banks and the carriers are fighting over how to divvy up a cut of each transaction.

If transaction fees are imposed and higher prices result, then I won't bother with mobile payments.

As it is now, everyone has their own contactless systems, from EMV to proprietary systems used by mass transit systems in different cities.

It would make so much sense to consolidate all that in your phones but of course, every party has their hand out.

I happened to be testing GPS with my iPhone 5 quite a lot recently, so I don't really have good data points (GPS monitoring requires a lot of power). However, I think it's probably safe to say, on my iPhone 5, iOS 7 has lower battery life than iOS 6. From Ars Technica's test results, there probably are some battery life related bugs in iOS 7 for iPhone 5.

I also have been using iOS 7 on my iPad 3 for even longer than on my iPhone 5, and I didn't notice any batter life problem (though iPad 3 already have pretty good battery life, so it's harder to notice any anomaly).
Isn't iOS 7 supposed to learn your usage habits over time to better schedule when to run background apps and network traffic? Maybe battery life improves over time as the scheduler self-optimizes?

Isn't iOS 7 supposed to learn your usage habits over time to better schedule when to run background apps and network traffic? Maybe battery life improves over time as the scheduler self-optimizes?

No, actually batteries tend to do exactly the opposite- no matter how well you treat them, with time they lose their capacity. And also, you can optimise to a certain level, but not forever

Nowadays, smartphones are not that smart actually. Sometimes they are quite stupid- for example you cannot use your alarm in the morning if your phone was turned off for the night. I always turn off my phones at night

And also- baterry capacities are awful anyway- I want to charge my phone as rarely as possible but no manufacturer really cares about that- they do exactly the opposite and get things worse

AFAIK that's for "real" background running apps. For example, a news app may want to download news in the background so every time you launch it you can always read the latest news immediately, but there's no point downloading news you are not going to read. Therefore, suppose that you always run the news app at around 8 o'clock, then the scheduler should be able to learn this and only launch the app in the background to download at, say, 7 o'clock.

Back