iOS 7

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Any of you peeps watch the Apple WWDC keynote this morning (local time, that is)? New iOS...looks pretty spiffy, I have to say!

Skeumorphism - woosh. Gone. Lots of jokes made about that over the course of the entire conference. No more virtual calves harmed to make those calendars, etc. Steve would have suffered an aneurysm if he'd still been alive, fired the lot of the designer team and stomped the speech writer to death himself no doubt.

White is a consistent theme - gonna be hell on battery life if Apple ever switches to OLED screens, that's for sure. ;) Parallaxing background/foreground layers and blur/transparency effects is also big new design features. Wonder how well that will run on iPhone4 with its fairly sluggish GPU... No wonder 3GS won't be supported anymore, it couldn't get that clean, slick look without the retina display.

Thin, new typeface is also new. I'm a little wary, it's gonna be hard to read in bright sunlight or people with crappy eyes like I'm getting (or so it feels anyway.)

This was just a preview, but even so it feels like big features took a bit of a step back because of the huge redesign. Most changes seem centered on making existing aspects of iOS slicker and better, like the new app switcher for example that actually gives you a view of the new app.

There IS new stuff too, like the new control center, which is something which many people have wanted to have for many years now I think. Instead of tapping and swiping 50 times to turn wifi or bluetooth on or off, adjusting screen brightness, turning on airplane mode, starting the calculator or stopwatch or even simply spreading some light over the vicinity with the LED flash - this can all be done from one single place, which is even available on the lock screen. Fecking wow, eh! Apple, you really revolutionarize everything! ;)

Well, actually, it does look a bit cool. Calendar's looking much better, weather app, much much improved. And not just because of the animated and parallaxing background, you get a lot more info now than before. Hopefully it will be more precise too with regards to your actual location - with current weather app it's actually rather coarse, giving the weather over a wider region, at least around where I live.

No, have been focussed on E3 ... So my wife and my work phones are out (3GS). Not unexpected, mind you.

Anything on split screen apps on tablets?

They only demoed iOS 7 on iPhone today. However, I doubt there'd be a way to make iPad able to run two apps side by side, as iPad apps are all designed for full screen. However, the new multi-tasking feature looks good (on the other hand, it's already possible to switch between apps on an iPad with "4-finger swipe").

The "de-skeumorphism" is also long overdue. Those fake cow hides are totally unnecessary. Especially in iCal.

The control center seems to be lacking the function toggling personal hotspot (I'm not sure about this though). If so, then it's a big disappointment.

It looks like many of the new design features are going to be built-in in the SDK. That should break current default "tabbar-navigation-modal" presentation model, and makes more developers willing to use new presentation models (of course, you can do it by yourself now, but that's really not ideal).

I don't mind de-skeur ... (I can't type that word, it sounds like it could resurrect the devil) at all. Skimming the presentation on Youtube however, it looks like the ugliest example, GameCenter's incredibly ugly skin, is still in there? It truly makes my face turn green each time I see it.

Good call on further integrating OS/X and iOS ... (if I saw that correctly, again - skimming) Still feels like they're doing it really, really slowly though ...

DID THEY SAY WHEN IT WILL COME OUT?!?!?

(My silly wife bought an iPhone 5, the crack to jailbreak it isn't coming out until IOS7 does....)

Later this year.

It looks great! Can't wait to give the beta a spin ... if ever I can get in contact with the developer server!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/8352799/ifs582o99p___verge_super_wide.png
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7056/WWDC-556_575px.jpg

The new design language is consistent, very Ive, and will probably take a little getting used to. They really ought to improve the contrast on the Control Center background. The Control center background is dynamic depending what's underneath probably using similar algorithms to those introduced in the panels of iTunes 11, but some of the results are too light like in the first link although it looks a bit better in the second link example.

I guess we'll have to wait for the tech talks, but hopefully there are a bunch of new OpenGL ES 2.0 extensions to bring OpenGL ES 3.0 like functionality to existing devices. At least OS X finally gets OpenGL 4, no mention of the specific version though.

Why does your wife need her iphone jailbroken? Is it more a case of DW needs that phone for his own amusement...? :p
Nah, I got an LG Mach a few months ago that I'm happily in love with. She just got the 5 because of all the hype and friends raving about theirs, then got it home and found out she couldn't just drag/drop music/shows/movies on to it like an Android...that's when she asked me about it and I got involved.

I just want to make it useable for her in the way she likes it, I'm not a big fan of Apple...I do not want her phone. My little Mach with its slider keyboard and a 32GB sd in it are more than enough for my modest needs. :p

Saw the livestream.

AirDrop in iOS7. From the demo, it looks like you can AirDrop from anywhere that has a Share icon. You can AirDrop to Macs and multiple nearby iOS devices at one go. No need to do it 1-on-1.

EDIT: Actually, the AirDrop icon is available in the Control Center also. So we should be able to copy stuff in/out quickly wirelessly.

http://gadgetunit.com/2013/06/10/ap...ed&utm_campaign=Feed:+GadgetUnit+(Gadget+Unit)

Someone's posted the full release notes for the iOS 7 beta 1. Some interesting details include:

-physics in UIKit with gravity, collision, oscillation, and damping
-Sprite Kit framework with built-in rendering, animation, sound, and physics engine to speed up 2D/2.5D game development
-Game Controller framework for official standardized support for third-party controllers
-Multipeer Connectivity framework allows peer-to-peer communication in an app without the internet and separate from Air Drop
-new OpenGL ES extensions: EXT_sRGB, GL_APPLE_pvrtc_sRGB, GL_APPLE_draw_instanced, and GL_APPLE_instanced_arrays
-support for 60 fps video recording

ah i was watchin E3 and only see iso 7 screenshots. first impression looks like windows phone but in white. some bits also looks like palm os (the new one on palm Pre, not the old one)

Finally a design that doesn't looks like it was made from a teenager while learning layer effects in photoshop
A huge improvement from this alone

ah i was watchin E3 and only see iso 7 screenshots. first impression looks like windows phone but in white. some bits also looks like palm os (the new one on palm Pre, not the old one)
Windows Phone emphasizes solid colors to set things apart from the black background, iOS 7 seems to emphasize translucency/blur to convey layers. It's almost like what might have happened if Microsoft had stopped somewhere between Aero and Metro.

these things makes me think metro
- the way they use clean area and specific typography
- the flatness
- the icons style

maybe more like android with metro theme pack/skin.

Back