iOS 7

AFAIK that's for "real" background running apps. For example, a news app may want to download news in the background so every time you launch it you can always read the latest news immediately, but there's no point downloading news you are not going to read. Therefore, suppose that you always run the news app at around 8 o'clock, then the scheduler should be able to learn this and only launch the app in the background to download at, say, 7 o'clock.

Yeah, that's what I read too.

NFC is definitely happening over here in a big way by the way - everything here is preparing for it. Also it seemed when I was in Norway, a lot of stores already had it.

Yeah, it's actually much easier and faster now.
and it's also an exact copy of how it's done in android :)
Not complaining though I believe Linux/windows/Mac/android etc should nick off each other if it's a better method

I updated an iPad 3 and the UI tends to lag quite a bit, especially after making wallpaper changes. I'm also surprised that Apple had to scale back some of the UI for the iPad 3 as it was only released in march 2012. Even at retina resolution is blurring the background image that costly in terms of performance?

The new control center whatsitscalled thingy you get when swiping up is great. I love the built-in flashlight functionality, and quick access to music controls, airplane mode and wifi and stuff like that, calculator and stopwatch, I use the lattermost in particular a lot, especially when cooking things like my morning oatmeal and so on. This is double-plus good, IMO. I'm a little less enthused that access to the camera now requires an extra swipe instead of just a tap at the lock screen, but...*shrug* Oh well. Hope this screen doesn't make too many sudden, unwanted surprise visits for people playing games, though. ;)

Speaking of dumbphone functions and settings, I find myself making hard-boiled eggs lol.
I have a clamshell dumbphone and I just found out where's the setting for it to not answer calls when I open it. So no pressing need to change it anymore..

I've watched the official IOS 7 PR video, and it looks beautiful, even though first article I had read about it was a rant about how the interface is featureless and the icons low constrast ; I find it looks greats, pretty and clear, at least in an advertisment video.
It's the first time an IOS phone looks desirable to me, "classic" IOS is a Windows 3.1 grid of icons to me, not innovative or interesting in any way (it puzzles me why there can be lawsuits about stuff like that).

The only problem remaining to me is the software philosophy (as closed as a console, no access to files or itunes needed etc.), spying concerns (when the video said your iphone knows location and time of every of your photos and use them automatically for you, I thought lol the alphabet agencies get to know everything as well) and of course the price is high.

Rather, it is an exact copy of WebOS.

It's somewhat different. The iOS7 multitasking manager does not allow you to rearrange the order of the screens. It also shows the matching app icon below each screen. In essence, it represents the running processes. The WebOS one represents your workspace.

I can't remember where I got the info, but I heard Apple had this design before switching to the icon band manager approach in the original iOS somewhat last minute.

My guess is they found it distracting (takes the user out of the "experience") when the original iOS just wanted to focus on one app at a time.

No, actually batteries tend to do exactly the opposite- no matter how well you treat them, with time they lose their capacity. And also, you can optimise to a certain level, but not forever

Nowadays, smartphones are not that smart actually. Sometimes they are quite stupid- for example you cannot use your alarm in the morning if your phone was turned off for the night. I always turn off my phones at night

And also- baterry capacities are awful anyway- I want to charge my phone as rarely as possible but no manufacturer really cares about that- they do exactly the opposite and get things worse

Wow, phones can't wake up anymore? Even a PC can wake up from shut down at a specified time, but you have to go in the BIOS for that. I used that feature on occasion, when I had an alarm clock failure and the phone was lost or broken. It's fun btw, you're woken up by a high quality rendition of a mp3 of your choice (speakers/amp have to be left on)

Regarding batteries I once read recent ones are better regarding aging - including the battery going bad when it's left alone and unused for long times (even still wrapped and on a shelf)

Hey I'd love to be able to store credit cards on my phone and never have to take them out again.

But the problem is, NFC hasn't taken off. The banks and the carriers are fighting over how to divvy up a cut of each transaction.

If transaction fees are imposed and higher prices result, then I won't bother with mobile payments.

As it is now, everyone has their own contactless systems, from EMV to proprietary systems used by mass transit systems in different cities.

It would make so much sense to consolidate all that in your phones but of course, every party has their hand out.

I have mixed feelings about using NFC for payment.

I think it may be solving the wrong problem.

It looks like Google has begun to understand why Apple refused to use it. ^_^
Their latest wallet is supposed to work without NFC too.

It's somewhat different. The iOS7 multitasking manager does not allow you to rearrange the order of the screens. It also shows the matching app icon below each screen. In essence, it represents the running processes. The WebOS one represents your workspace.

iOS apps in the multitasking interface are not necessarily running, but in any case the scrolling layout of apps as cards that you can swipe offscreen to close was clearly a good idea that was adopted by many competitors.

I can't remember where I got the info, but I heard Apple had this design before switching to the icon band manager approach in the original iOS somewhat last minute.

My guess is they found it distracting (takes the user out of the "experience") when the original iOS just wanted to focus on one app at a time.

The design they were testing out pre-iOS 4 was fairly different from either released version:

The only problem remaining to me is the software philosophy (as closed as a console, no access to files or itunes needed etc.), spying concerns (when the video said your iphone knows location and time of every of your photos and use them automatically for you, I thought lol the alphabet agencies get to know everything as well) and of course the price is high.

You can allow or disallow your applications to use GPS.

Wow, phones can't wake up anymore? Even a PC can wake up from shut down at a specified time, but you have to go in the BIOS for that. I used that feature on occasion, when I had an alarm clock failure and the phone was lost or broken. It's fun btw, you're woken up by a high quality rendition of a mp3 of your choice (speakers/amp have to be left on)

Regarding batteries I once read recent ones are better regarding aging - including the battery going bad when it's left alone and unused for long times (even still wrapped and on a shelf)

If you tell me how to force my ICS to turn on I would highly appreciate it

But now- No, the phone needs to be working in order to start the alarm

So, still no answer from Blazkowicz. Was that supposed to be personal, or just trolling or spaming when I am asking something very seriously?

The answer here is not to turn your phone off at night.

Leave the phone switched on with the alarm set, put it on silent and in airplane mode (or aeroplane mode as we would say on this side of the pond ;)), and the battery should only lose just a few percentage points of the charge overnight.

My quad-core Android phone loses around 10% charge overnight with radio and wifi left on and push mail working. Not close to a problem at all.

Yup, with me it is one percent per hour and if I need the phone around 10 hours off, then it is quite significant loss of battery capacity...

Also, because of worries about my health, I never leave phones on close to my body while sleeping.

Luckily, I have an older Samsung GT-S3370 which works as I would like it to, so... the other goes to sleep with me :mrgreen: :D

Health effects...? Seriously: lol. What health effects? The transcievers in a cell phone are far, far, far, far too weak to cause any effects at all on the cells in your body, much less any harmful effects.

Anyway, if you're paranoid about non-existing health effects just turn on airplane mode, as previously suggested. Anyway, if you can't stand losing 10% battery charge, just stick in the charger cable before going to bed. How hard can it be, really?

Grall, if you keep on insisting to insult me by calling me paranoid because of your wrong judgements and understandings, then I will leave any further discussions with you at all...

Haven't you yet understood that I always do what I like to and not I am told to... I would like to go against them because they rarely give me what I want and need. I would prefer them doing what I would like as customer, not what they decided is correct. As simple as that.

So, still no answer from Blazkowicz. Was that supposed to be personal, or just trolling or spaming when I am asking something very seriously?

Consider I'm trolling then, or just expressing my surprise. I don't know too much about smartphones, barring a J2ME, non-touch phone I had long ago.

Grall, if you keep on insisting to insult me by calling me paranoid because of your wrong judgements and understandings
What wrong understandings? I asked you a question, instead of just answering you go on a rant. There's zero credible scientific evidence for how the RF emissions from a cell phone could interfere with cell chemistry to cause negative health effects (cancer is the usual claim, which would require DNA damage). All that happens is that water molecules in the areas absorbing RF energy are (very, very) slightly warmed.

I have a 4s...and I don't want to upgrade. The colors and overall style is awful imo...how can something like this ever release? It's like they designed it for use by Barbie&Ken...meh.

I've now had the chance to use iOS 7 on my iPad 3 and I have to say that I kind of like the design. Nevertheless, it could definitely use some polish. The main problem for me is that it can feel sluggish, something that was never the case with iOS 6. Just returning to the homescreen from Safari for example is jarring, with the background appearing a fraction of a second after the animation has started and the animation itself not being smooth either. Oh, and the animations are often too long. Its like it's still in beta or something. It'll probably only start to come into it's own with iOS 8 or something, but it should have just been done right now.

Back