XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even going to respond to this, the entire thing is just lulworthy. Ok sure, Windows 8 is a roaring succuss :)
In 6 months, windows 8 sold Five. Hundred. Million. Copies. In 6 _years_, Apple sold 70 million copies of OS X. Is Windows 8 Microsoft's most successful product ever? No. Is it a failure? Hell no.

And MS has shown a consistent pattern of failing to execute on their ideas in this space. Failing to ever gain serious market traction with any hardware outside of Xbox.
Microsoft Mouse. Microsoft keyboards.

This does not sound like completely off to me.

I also really don't get why people can trust a silly menu where you can click on disable/enable some unwanted feature. This is software, for a connected device which can be controlled remotely without taking notice. Simple solution to all concerns allow the physical disconnection.

Quick question. If your cable box is passing through xb1 and XB1 is off... can you still watch tv?

Will the Xbox ever really be off?

In 6 months, windows 8 sold Five. Hundred. Million. Copies. In 6 _years_, Apple sold 70 million copies of OS X. Is Windows 8 Microsoft's most successful product ever? No. Is it a failure? Hell no.

Windows 8 sold 100 million copies but I feel your pain... its amazing what people consider "failure" when its attached to MS.

You trust your cell phone tho right? Or do you always wear your tinfoil hat when you use it?

I'm more worried about wire taps before I start getting concerned about the cell phone.

Plus it'll obviously leave easily noticeable traces like battery drain and data usage.

You trust your cell phone tho right? Or do you always wear your tinfoil hat when you use it?

You have a phone hanging over your TV being able to record everything you or friends say and do? I really don't get that argument.

Do you realize how silly this tinfoil deflection sounds when even mainstream media just these days tells that every possible communication is analyzed and recorded.

The privacy at home is not for sale nor negotiable to me. People who enjoy using Kinect shouldn't feel threatened by people who don't want it installed. While people who don't want it can't play games on the XBone at all and not because they wouldn't like to.

You have a phone hanging over your TV being able to record everything you or friends say and do? I really don't get that argument.

Do you realize how silly this tinfoil deflection sounds when even mainstream media just these days tells that every possible communication is analyzed and recorded.

The privacy at home is not for sale nor negotiable to me. People who enjoy using Kinect shouldn't feel threatened by people who don't want it installed. While people who don't want it can't play games on the XBone at all and not because they wouldn't like to.

Remember to take the battery out of all of your cell phones once you walk in the door of your house. Unless the battery is out, its never truly off.

This thread has now degenerated into the tin foil hat thread. Isn't this supposed to be about DRM?

I think you kinda made my point ;) Where's the TabletPC? Or the Zune? Kin? Or Windows Phone 6, 7 or 8? Even the Surface is not making a blip... for some reason MS thought we wanted a bigger iPad, that weighs more. Nope.

You can't ignore the fugly track record.

The Xbox brand is the shining star, but has been in steady decline for 3+ years, as they've transformed my once pristine Dashboard into a wall of targeted Banner Ads. Now they're losing focus completely...

Sure, they will probably pull it off, the brand is just too strong to fail, but I think their lack of focus will get them eventually.

I think you kinda made my point ;) Where's the TabletPC? Or the Zune? Kin? Or Windows Phone 6, 7 or 8? Even the Surface is not making a blip... for some reason MS thought we wanted a bigger iPad, that weighs more. Nope.

You can't ignore the fugly track record.

The Xbox brand is the shining star, but has been in steady decline for 3+ years, as they've transformed my once pristine Dashboard into a wall of targeted Banner Ads. Now they're losing focus completely...

Sure, they will probably pull it off, the brand is just too strong to fail, but I think their lack of focus will get them eventually.

Windows tablets will eventually overtake all portable tablet sales. Windows 8 surface was just a start. This year we get better form factors, and thinner lighter longer lasting devices. Weight wise the surface rt was barely heavier than an iPad 4. We are moving to the fifth iPad this year... that's 5 iterations in 3 years... you don't think windows based tablets will do the same...? ios is a dead end...

Zune was late to market but it was really iTunes that was the star... iTunes still is. MS killed kin. Skins for windows CE based Windows phone 6,7 were the basis for Samsung sense ui which eventually took over android... windows phone is making definite strides worldwide and is totally different from the windows phone iterations that preceded it being based on win8 kernel. Its also only 6 months old.

Windows 8 has sold more 100 million copies since November... that was as of April... nothing on sale by any tech vendor beats that. Nothing. No phone, nor device, and certainly not any other OS.

Windows Azure became a billion dollar business this year. Amazons ec only posts 1.8 revenue annually... I'm sure Azure will overtake it in the next two years.

Office 365 based on Azure also became its own billion dollar business in 60 days.

All devices and services can leverage each other. None of them are fully realized as of yet. Nearly all of them have been released or remade in the last 9 months. Xbox is just another piece to the puzzle.

Windows 8 sold 100 million copies but I feel your pain... its amazing what people consider "failure" when its attached to MS.

Including windows 7 licenses. I don't think we have a thread about Microsoft software sales, so maybe create one, this off topic beyond belief :)

I just don't get why everyone's up in arms over Microsoft's DRM .

Look if you game as a hobby like I do ....I've been gaming since space invaders you want developers and the creative people to make money not lose money .
The business plan as it stands is failing and a way has to be found to make game making profitable for all not just a few big games .

Doing away with the second hand market as its stands is just one way of trying to make profit .

I've seen the rise and fall of arcades ......developer after developer go out of business because it became unprofitable .

A developer publisher they have to make money used games make them no money renting a game makes them no money .

The truth is a game can be brought for in England where I am for £ 40 new .
now this game may get sold on by you average customer and pass through two or three hands for a money.

in the end a £40 game may have generated £100 in its life time been played by three or four customers but the publisher.. developer only got a cut of one sale .the same with renting how much money are they losing there as well.

This means they miss out of another two or three pay days under Microsoft's DRM this will end .

Now I for one would prefer more return for the creative mind behind the hobby I love .
Used game sellers .......rental services they leach money from the creative minds they make profit but give nothing back to the creative minds behind the hobby I love .

Rental used games sales are OK but come on give a cut back to the creative guys who make it all possible .

Under Microsoft's DRM this will be possible those who funded and create such wonderful adventures for us to enjoy should get a cut of all money generated by there hard work .

Ethics people in a fully digital market place used game sales are still possible same as rentals the only difference is the creative minds behind it all can get a cut unlike today.

Since when has giving money to creative people to create more been bad .
:) :) :)

Including windows 7 licenses. I don't think we have a thread about Microsoft software sales, so maybe create one, this off topic beyond belief :)

First No. Just win 8 os sales. Win 7 is totally separate.

This was in response to Scooby.

The entire windows ecosystem is moving to an online, digitally verifiable state all centered on MS' cloud. Like with Xbox one, the cloud is the lynchpin of everything MS oriented. I didn't expect anything less.

I still hate the 24 hour check in though. Hate it.

:LOL::LOL:

I find this one funny and a PR disaster too
It's interesting that multiple repost of this video are supposedly taken down daily. It is obviously fair use.

Still, welcome to the Streisand effect, the more you push, the more social effect push back :p

Remember to take the battery out of all of your cell phones once you walk in the door of your house. Unless the battery is out, its never truly off.

Given the hidden watch battery sized backup battery they put in every cell phone for just such reasons, it's still not off :LOL:

First No. Just win 8 os sales. Win 7 is totally separate.

This was in response to Scooby.

The entire windows ecosystem is moving to an online, digitally verifiable state all centered on MS' cloud. Like with Xbox one, the cloud is the lynchpin of everything MS oriented. I didn't expect anything less.

I still hate the 24 hour check in though. Hate it.

Windows 8 licenses and windows 7 licenses are the same. The windows 8 licenses i have bought were all for windows 7 installs. How they would separate those is hard to imagine

I just don't get why everyone's up in arms over Microsoft's DRM .

Look if you game as a hobby like I do ....I've been gaming since space invaders you want developers and the creative people to make money not lose money .
The business plan as it stands is failing and a way has to be found to make game making profitable for all not just a few big games .

Doing away with the second hand market as its stands is just one way of trying to make profit .

I've seen the rise and fall of arcades ......developer after developer go out of business because it became unprofitable .

A developer publisher they have to make money used games make them no money renting a game makes them no money .

The truth is a game can be brought for in England where I am for £ 40 new .
now this game may get sold on by you average customer and pass through two or three hands for a money.

in the end a £40 game may have generated £100 in its life time been played by three or four customers but the publisher.. developer only got a cut of one sale .the same with renting how much money are they losing there as well.

This means they miss out of another two or three pay days under Microsoft's DRM this will end .

Now I for one would prefer more return for the creative mind behind the hobby I love .
Used game sellers .......rental services they leach money from the creative minds they make profit but give nothing back to the creative minds behind the hobby I love .

Rental used games sales are OK but come on give a cut back to the creative guys who make it all possible .

Under Microsoft's DRM this will be possible those who funded and create such wonderful adventures for us to enjoy should get a cut of all money generated by there hard work .

Ethics people in a fully digital market place used game sales are still possible same as rentals the only difference is the creative minds behind it all can get a cut unlike today.

Since when has giving money to creative people to create more been bad .
:) :) :)

So the reason that Activision and ea is ok with the used market is because?

Btw your post belongs in my sig :)

Dammit, I got the number wrong again? I have failed at the Internet. Thanks for the correction, at least my general point is still valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back