Quantum Break [XO] (by Remedy) *large images*

Photorealism is so overrated. Want photorealism? Go outside and stop playing video games!

Can I go outside and fight space aliens?

I want to do things in games I can't do in real life. However, I want it to look like real life. When I see a game in which the characters don't look real, it breaks the immersion. This game could be great. I just wish they would use the most cutting edge techniques.

i get what you mean but luckily i like realistic and artistic/stylized visual.
if the game come to PC, i think you can tweak the tone using sweetfx to make it looks more realistic.

I want to do things in games I can't do in real life. However, I want it to look like real life. When I see a game in which the characters don't look real, it breaks the immersion. This game could be great. I just wish they would use the most cutting edge techniques.

I don't think games that strive for realism are necessarily more cutting edge than games that do not. I can understand the preference, but I'm ok either way. I like variety in the way games look, so stylized can be great too.

And I don't think that a game that uses cutting edge techniques will necessarily be photorealistic. And a stylised game doesn't necessarily lack 'cutting edge' tech.
It's an artistic choice.

It's also nothing unusual when there's some quality difference between the main characters and the "extras". Joyce will obviously get the most attention and that woman seemed to be an important person as well, these people on the bridge are probably just some ordinary guys though.

Hopefully they will improve Jack's movement... the cutscenes animation flows nicely, gameplay wise, he looks stiff, and somewhat unnatural. But it's early, things should improve by release.

Yeah, moves like the interactions with objects was very gamey. Looks like it could use some more procedural, Euphoria-style animation maybe? I wonder what's happening with that tech this gen? Natural Motion seem to be about mobile games these days. :rolleyes: 10-50 million downloads on Android for My Horse. Maybe that rolly eyes is misplaced?!

Yeah, moves like the interactions with objects was very gamey. Looks like it could use some more procedural, Euphoria-style animation maybe? I wonder what's happening with that tech this gen? Natural Motion seem to be about mobile games these days. :rolleyes: 10-50 million downloads on Android for My Horse. Maybe that rolly eyes is misplaced?!

GTA5 will be our first look at Natural Motion tech on next-gen (I think). Will be interesting to see if there are any noticeable improvements compared to ps360 version.

Please do. It goes down very well as generating interest as well as being interesting, so serves a nice PR role. I'm most curious about the physics for shockwaves myself. Are the floorboards etc. individual physics objects, or are you using a cheat? I suppose the whole physics engine is worth talking about. Regional physics time is pretty rare.

Hey, sorry been a bit busy.

By shockwaves you mean the ones you see e.g. in the fight against the two big dudes on the bridge? Some of the stuff is just normal level geometry, some are individual objects. The effect itself isn't too hard to figure out if you look at the video :)

GTA5 will be our first look at Natural Motion tech on next-gen (I think). Will be interesting to see if there are any noticeable improvements compared to ps360 version.

I seriously hope they let the GPU do the procedural animation and physics this time. Perhaps port it to OpenCL/DirectCompute?

Hey, sorry been a bit busy.

By shockwaves you mean the ones you see e.g. in the fight against the two big dudes on the bridge? Some of the stuff is just normal level geometry, some are individual objects. The effect itself isn't too hard to figure out if you look at the video :)

Just guessing, but I think he means when Jack is running to escape the grenade. It's either the explosion, his time powers, or both, but it looks like the floor boards of the shack are moving in waves.

Just guessing, but I think he means when Jack is running to escape the grenade. It's either the explosion, his time powers, or both, but it looks like the floor boards of the shack are moving in waves.

Oh right, that spot. Well it is actually the same thing, it just shows up in different ways depending on the content and the inputs we give it.

Should probably convince the guys to do a GDC talk on these.

I do wonder if they are able to fix the (slightly) repetitive gameplay of the former game while retaining its fantastic way of telling a story ingame.

Oh right, that spot. Well it is actually the same thing, it just shows up in different ways depending on the content and the inputs we give it.

Should probably convince the guys to do a GDC talk on these.

However it works, it looks really cool. Thanks for the responses.

However it works, it looks really cool. Thanks for the responses.

Thanks! And no prob, ask away and I'll answer what I can when I some time :)

Oh yeah, someone earlier on was pointing out the differences in characters in the previous clip we released. Well, as it turns out in game development things evolve! :)

Thanks! And no prob, ask away and I'll answer what I can when I some time :)

Oh yeah, someone earlier on was pointing out the differences in characters in the previous clip we released. Well, as it turns out in game development things evolve! :)

Is the game running on a new version of MAX-FX?

Is the game running on a new version of MAX-FX?

Heh no. In-house tech, based on what we had after Alan Wake's American Nightmare, with plenty of improvements all around. And no, that does not mean the game has anything to do with AW, It's just an engine :)

Heh no. In-house tech, based on what we had after Alan Wake's American Nightmare, with plenty of improvements all around. And no, that does not mean the game has anything to do with AW, It's just an engine :)

I thought Alan Wake was MAX-FX. Maybe that's just what the Internet was calling it.

Are you able to make any public comments about working with ESRAM at this time? It seems to be what everyone is interested in with regards to Xbox One.

A lot of people are having a hard time figuring out the resolution and anti-aliasing you're using. Are you using a new post-process anti-aliasing method? If I remember correctly, American Nightmare was a combination of MSAA and FXAA.

We've had some other developers on this forum talk about a shift towards new rendering techniques that will replace traditional pixel shader techniques. Any agreement? http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1858046&postcount=6735

Obviously I'm not expecting anything incredibly specific. The more the better, I suppose ;)

Back