If FPSs were so popular this gen online why no Star Wars franchise fps made?

I did not intend to question your opinion I only questioned the idea that (even others over the years repeat) "Star Wars game" can only = "Jedi Superman Celebrity"

I used to think just like you do in the sense of only thinking that holding a lightsaber would be the only thing I wanted to do if a Star Wars franchise videogame so I understand you.

I also played the Republic Commando demo on PC...(the game was only on xbox 1/PC) and really did not get exited or even initially like the idea of playing some clone trooper, however the demo did not really do justice to the commanding or managing aspect of the gameplay and in my case it was a thing about 2004/2005 having played Doom 3 retail for PC and still having the impulse to want to buy another game and I already had Jedi Knight II and I and later Academy so it was kind of like an impulse buy for me... I do understand why the game must have failed initially... or maybe it had something to do with being released in 2005 right when Xbox 360 and the next gen consoles were coming and how Xbox 1 at the time was predominantly Halo only. I also did not think that the game was that special with its huge flaws but the reason for this thread was because of all the raving over how FPSs make so much money this current gen and how many other game devs have turned to jumping into the FPS bandwagon, I couldn't help but notice that in the majority of these "popular cash cow FPS" you play as some nameless nobody but somehow badass dudebro that Republic Commando nor the idea of a series of serious SW FPSs even got considered.

Battlefront series was not a true FPS series. Not even a FPS-lite, it was a third person/first person hybrid with loose controls not precise enough to qualify as true arcady controls or FPS material and it really tried to do too much with too many limits.

I understand your point about publishers feeding the focus group mentality of gamer/fans/star wars fans and turning around and devoting an entire current console generation to making The Force Unleashed something that was eaten up and forgiven initially.

However I really do not believe you or that game devs/pubs would believe a game like that, specifically talking about a Republic Commando (and note that game is not laid out like other Star Wars games) type or sequel would sell in the current gen (also keep in mind I originally wanted to make this thread years ago but well did it now lol what timing).

As for Halo did this, or that or that 323 decided to use on lazer weapon..., that is hard to swallow, that game franchise's fans are very forgiving however the game series always established since 2001 that humans had mostly bullet weapons while aliens had plasma and lazers.

Resistance, having played that game and enjoyed it, I feel it was more of unfair fanboy war hype... gamers calling it a "WWII shooter" at one time at another calling it a "halo wannabe" or "why ____ Halo this ____" I heard them all way back then.

However in Republic Commando the devs did make the Trandoshan weapons bullet based because they wanted an excuse to have a shot gun in there... its just that that series never got to evolve on more powerfull hardware and 3d engine... or game dev experience.

It really seems to be more of bad business decisions.

This industry is unfortunately rife with bad business decisions, and with a franchise as huge and as potentially profitable as Star Wars by combining it with the FPS genre you would inevitably have created a recipe for disaster. There's no publisher that would take on the Star Wars licence and allow a developer to have sufficient creative freedom to actually create a great Star Wars FPS game with it. The dev would get abused by silly demands from marketing departments, focus testing and perhaps George Lucas himself.

I'm not confident we'll ever get another excellent Starwars game like Kotor 1&2, or even a good one like the Battlefront games. Publisher/Developer/IP owner politics will ensure it remains in developement hell, and will provide sufficient antagonism to the creative process that the game even if it does get released will most likely be awful.

Modern Lucasarts was most of the problem AFAIK. They caused the KOTOR2 mess. Maybe with Lucasarts gone things will improve again.

But I have no doubt right now the plans are to push the coming new movie era. Which is probably going to create a bunch of lame games like the 1999-2000 prequel era move tie in crap.

This industry is unfortunately rife with bad business decisions, and with a franchise as huge and as potentially profitable as Star Wars by combining it with the FPS genre you would inevitably have created a recipe for disaster. There's no publisher that would take on the Star Wars licence and allow a developer to have sufficient creative freedom to actually create a great Star Wars FPS game with it. The dev would get abused by silly demands from marketing departments, focus testing and perhaps George Lucas himself.

I'm not confident we'll ever get another excellent Starwars game like Kotor 1&2, or even a good one like the Battlefront games. Publisher/Developer/IP owner politics will ensure it remains in developement hell, and will provide sufficient antagonism to the creative process that the game even if it does get released will most likely be awful.

Is there really any evidence that George Lucas himself would be abusing game devs? honestly the only ever interview I read where the game dev directly mentioned that George Lucas objected to an idea was when that game dev wanted to make a franchise game with Wookies as the main character and if I'm not mistaken when another game dev wanted to make a Darth Maul game. For the Wookie game the reasoning was that George thought it was silly to have a main character that did not "speak" (I am to assume English and the possible fear of an entire game with subtitles then again KOTOR was not bad though the groans got kind of tiresome and silly at times...) the latter was that when they wanted to do this DM game it was way before Attack of the Clones came out and he did not want (at that time) that character being used too much, I could be mistaken about the latter.

Its my understanding that a creative person would not want their work to be made into something they never intended and that would apply to any creative person or company to videogames, tv and films...

Any industry is rife with bad or poor judgment decisions however I feel there was a big difference back then (PS2/GC/Xbox 1/PC era) with games being made multiplatform that the game would suffer as a result and be out of focus meaning that on different platforms the experiece would be warped, until the current gen (note not the next gen...yet) where for the most part game pubs/devs have been shooting for parity of the same experience sans timed DLC deals.

I personally believe that even in this current and next gen unless it makes sense there should be more console exclusive or specific titles as opposed to multiplatform titles so as to allow the game devs the focus to make the single player experience that not always needs an online mp experience.

I understand and agree with some of your points but some of them just make me believe that somehow game pubs/devs should live in fear when making a simple franchise based videogame... you mentioned Halo series earlier and I wanted to mention that at least for Halo since its a videogame franchise NOT a movie or comics books franchise, the Halo dev team does not have to worry about fans complaining about how the game is missing experiences from the films because the rules were set in the videogame as opposed to film, comic book, manga, tv franchises...

I still would urge you to please try out Republic Commando, not because I want you to agree with me but so that you can see the entire experience in that game's single player mode, obviously the online mp is run of the mill FPS action but key here is that like KOTOR and Battlefront, RC stayed locked to last gen era, including PC btw and wonder why.

Also Kotor 1 was the only true attempt at the making of the RPG, it was a huge sales success that even non-Star Wars fans could get into playing, Kotor 2 was outsourced formula to a dev team that failed to complete the game or just that there was too much going on or they were just trying to hit the holidays without caring that the game was complete or not.

Battlefront 1 and 2 were a mixed bag, you could not seriously play it as a FPS and there were issues while seriously playing as a third person game be it on either console or PC back then... they were still fun experiences but when you got down to making some slight comparisons you would find that a platform specific game like Rouge Leader 2 and 3 Rebel Strike on GameCube as far as single player space battles were extremely satisfying with the focus on mission based maps and objectives and ground based vehicle missions were almost as great while Battlefront was really more like the old Battlefield game... only Battlefield, specially 3 and eventually 4 are strictly FPS mission based games during single player and online has evolved thanks to refinements and experience by the creative dev team.

As far as the overall company looking at pleasing the Jedi only fans and making The Force Unleashed series instead of also trying to evolve the Battlefront series, that was a major blunder and bad decision making in terms of I guess making money with a product that fans found respectable.

KOTOR 2 was the result of Lucasarts requiring Obsidian make the game within an approx 13 month development period. It was indeed released near Christmas. Still I think it is at least KOTOR's equal in entertainment value.

Republic Commando was alright. I beat it. I had a few complaints but it was fun. Unfortunately there's no way to make it truly widescreen AFAIK so it's rather annoying to play now. The FoV will make you crazy.

Did anyone like Bounty Hunter? Anyone try Lethal Alliance?

Is there really any evidence that George Lucas himself would be abusing game devs? honestly the only ever interview I read where the game dev directly mentioned that George Lucas objected to an idea was when that game dev wanted to make a franchise game with Wookies as the main character and if I'm not mistaken when another game dev wanted to make a Darth Maul game. For the Wookie game the reasoning was that George thought it was silly to have a main character that did not "speak" (I am to assume English and the possible fear of an entire game with subtitles then again KOTOR was not bad though the groans got kind of tiresome and silly at times...) the latter was that when they wanted to do this DM game it was way before Attack of the Clones came out and he did not want (at that time) that character being used too much, I could be mistaken about the latter.

Its my understanding that a creative person would not want their work to be made into something they never intended and that would apply to any creative person or company to videogames, tv and films.......

Rumour has it that Star Wars 1313 hit trouble when George Lucas demanded that the game's protagonist be changed to Boba Fett. The game creator had a different vision for the game, and then Lucas came in and put his foot down.

I know it's a rumour, but if true its stuff like that that seriously compromises the quality of games made in this industry. It's no wonder we've seen a massive decline in licensed games this gen anyways (of course with notable exceptions), as publishers and devs don't want to put the time and investment into an IP somebody else owns, only to have a dude come in half-way and screw things up or disrupt developers. The issue is, regardless of however Lucas desires to protect his creation, once a license is given to a developer to make a game based around it, they should have creative freedom to do what they like (of course within reason).

Re Republic Commando. I would have a go at it, but I have no means to play it, lest its possible to get it on PC? Is it on steam do you know?

I must be on ignore because I mentioned modding Republic Commando and that's difficult to do on Xbox. Though quite possible with a modded Xbox mind you. ;)

I suppose George Lucas may be problematic but there have been so many Star Wars games that I wonder if it's all that true. Plus, when it comes to game sales, a brand like Star Wars makes a hell of a difference almost regardless of game quality. Like the case of Force Unleashed for example lol.

Its unreal engine 2 so it could be moddable (no editor is supplied)
or better still ported to udk

ps: it still ctd's if bump mapping is set to anything other than low
and the crosshair is still awful (eg: huge)

I did some testing of Republic Commando's bump mapping and found with a D3D10 Radeon you can not use drivers newer than Cat 7.12. That means you need a HD 3870 at the newest. With a D3D9 Radeon, the latest Cat 10.2 Legacy is fine. The game is doing D3D8 bump mapping of some quirky sort.

It is surprisingly demanding for how Unreal Engine 2-ugly it is. A beefy X1950XTX pushes about 45fps at 1920x1200 with max settings and 2xAA. HD 3870 runs 100% GPU utilization and still isn't solid 60fps. If you run with vsync, D3DOverrider and its forced triple buffering are necessary to avoid drops to fractional frame rates.

Don't forget to go into the system.ini file in the save folder and tweak MaxAnisotropy to 4-16. I use 8. Anisotropic is disabled by default.

I wanna play this Jedi FPS. It looks so life like.

It's not a game?! So it's REAL?!! LOL

Tommy McClain

I did some testing of Republic Commando's bump mapping and found with a D3D10 Radeon you can not use drivers newer than Cat 7.12. That means you need a HD 3870 at the newest. With a D3D9 Radeon, the latest Cat 10.2 Legacy is fine. The game is doing D3D8 bump mapping of some quirky sort.

It is surprisingly demanding for how Unreal Engine 2-ugly it is. A beefy X1950XTX pushes about 45fps at 1920x1200 with max settings and 2xAA. HD 3870 runs 100% GPU utilization and still isn't solid 60fps. If you run with vsync, D3DOverrider and its forced triple buffering are necessary to avoid drops to fractional frame rates.

Don't forget to go into the system.ini file in the save folder and tweak MaxAnisotropy to 4-16. I use 8. Anisotropic is disabled by default.

I played Republic Commando last year with a GeForce GTS 250... didn't notice the problems you mention other than having to max out all the settings to keep the game slower... or it seems like its way too fast during menu interacting... I gotta test it again though since that was on windows 7 and I recently redid that computer as a Windows XP.

I think the Steam version has the bump mapping fixed for recent NVIDIA cards. The bump mapping tech was apparently an NVIDIA-assisted development from the beginning. This is a TWIMTBP game and it was also likely made primarily for Xbox. However, there are complaints of the bump maps appearing incorrect due to the modifications.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914677
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1838429

But if you have a Radeon HD the game will crash unless you can run 7.12 or put bump maps on low.

Errgh, I don't think I have time to faff around trying to get it running on my PC then.

Cheers for the info. though. You saved my from buying the game that I probably wouldn't be able to get running without some serious tinkering. Not really worth my time.

One of the reasons I do love console gaming over PC gaming though:devilish:

What clicking on a single option and setting it to low is too complex for you ?

Don't be obtuse. Of course not, but its inconvenient faff I can do without.

Even if its just one setting to change to make the game run, its one setting too much. My time is too precious to waste fiddling when I have so little time to game anyway.

I think the Steam version has the bump mapping fixed for recent NVIDIA cards. The bump mapping tech was apparently an NVIDIA-assisted development from the beginning. This is a TWIMTBP game and it was also likely made primarily for Xbox. However, there are complaints of the bump maps appearing incorrect due to the modifications.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914677
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1838429

But if you have a Radeon HD the game will crash unless you can run 7.12 or put bump maps on low.

Hmmm I am not so sure about that... I originally bought Republic Commando when it was on 2 CDs for PC and only had either a GeForce 3 200Ti 64MB passive cooled (no fan) or an ATI Fire GL 8800 128MB (basically R200 or Radeon 8500 card) I played the game on both cards at the time and the only issues I had with the Radeon were that the drivers were not meant for gaming, so I would only notice some texture weirdness... nothing wrong with bump mapping back then...

I later played it with my GeForce 6800GT and much later with the GeForce GTS 250 aka G92b

But you said you have a Radeon HD 3870 right or 3850... my best guess is that ATI or AMD just never really tested and targetted that game, I really see no way that such an old game would still have problems even on a RV670 GPU based card but then again thats why I ended up going nVidia... because of much more stable driver support... the TWIMTBP program as far as I know was more like Nvidia providing cards to devs... I'm not sure if ATI or AMD was doing the same way back then. Ehh not trying to defend or make one company look angelic or anything...

Hmmm I am not so sure about that... I originally bought Republic Commando when it was on 2 CDs for PC and only had either a GeForce 3 200Ti 64MB passive cooled (no fan) or an ATI Fire GL 8800 128MB (basically R200 or Radeon 8500 card) I played the game on both cards at the time and the only issues I had with the Radeon were that the drivers were not meant for gaming, so I would only notice some texture weirdness... nothing wrong with bump mapping back then...
Yup it works fine on X1950 and presumably everything older down to Radeon 8500. I have X1950 and X800 and they worked with the newest D3D9 legacy driver. Radeon HD works too as long as you run Catalyst 7.12 or older. I do have a RV670 card and this is how I tested 7.12 and found it to work. All later releases I tried crash if bump mapping is >low.

Back