If FPSs were so popular this gen online why no Star Wars franchise fps made?

Akumajou

Regular
If FPSs were so popular this gen online why no Star Wars franchise fps made?

Yes I am aware for the other Star Wars games that were made this gen but last gen for Xbox 1/PC there was a little game called Republic Commando that did away with all that Jedi non-sense and focused only on first person shooter action for online while the single player mode implemented a commands based gameplay.

I expected that given the domination of FPS games and the cash that CoD series were making and yes I am aware of the unfortunate Aliens Colonial Marines and how it makes Alien VS Predator 2010 look incredible and yes this is a franchise based talk... now I am not such a huge Star Wars fan but my understanding with how game publishers and game devs sometimes choose to make a videogame tends to be one that would make a lot of money and Star Wars is a huge franchise.

Yes the next gen consoles are almost here but the current gen Xbox 360 and PS3 have been here since 2005 and 2006 respectively...

I found it interesting to think about this subject given how Call of Duty focuses on three eras of warfare and how Star Wars has its different eras of warfare... Republic Commando was pretty decent and note that I don't mention the previous fps games because many of them added lightsabers and that I feel is not such a great idea, just the shooting aspect of Clone troopers, Imperial troopers, Rebel troopers and Droid troopers... perhaps even other factions too.

Does anyone know if such a project was in the works and cancelled or it was just not a good idea for them or what do you think?

So you want a starwars fps that removes the gameplay elements that makes it starwars, you want a generic shooter set in the starwars universe?
Jedi knight/jedi outcast/jedi academy were head and shoulders above republic commando

Wait so Republic Commando was a generic fps shooter? I know that the videogame was not perfect but it did focus on the shooting aspect that fps games focus on. Adding the lightsaber turned the Jedi Knight/outcast/Academy into third person.

Now I never implied or stated that the Jedi games were bad, but they detract the focus of shooting and maintaining the first person aspect, the only first person mode game that I can think of having experienced and played to have used successful swordplay was an old Mobile Suit Gundam Rise from the Ashes on the ancient Dreamcast... Being that it was a franchise based game of course.

How does taking the Jedi or lightsaber OUT of a "Star Wars" franchise game also takes out the "Star Wars" out of it?

In the Star Wars films and related material the overwhelming majority of battles are handled by gun wielding foot soldiers. Jedi, Sith, or force users are much fewer in number. There is also the factor that even a scrub half trained Jedi can take out several gun troops.

You want something like the original Dark forces or Shadows of the Empire? They were great games for their time, but I have to say I enjoyed Jedi Knight II a little more even if it was third person. The games from the mid-late 90's had a darker atmosphere though, which I did like due to the creepy feeling they conveyed. I guess this has a lot to do with the prequels having an effect on the atmosphere and content of the later games.

Although I liked Battlefront, I also had some problems with it being too much fan service.

RedVi... Not sure about Dark Forces and not Shadows of the Empire...more in the Republic Commando vein of being either an elite trooper or a average trooper following orders, meeting objectives in a grand set piece way...

Like in RC a Jedi could appear as a hologram for a special mission or orders other than that no Jedi/sith force or lightsaber use because of the implications that adds and to move away from that.

Although I mentioned CoD (only due to popularity) I am leaning to Battlefield 3 style...

There is the EsB scene with troopers on hoth...and AotC had the Geonosys clone trooper battle on droids...

RC had a lot of potential but it was limited by the 3d engine tech of that time (2002, 2004?) FPSs.

IMHO, George Lucas, or Disney, should redo episode 1-3 first. :devilish:

What's wrong with games like KOTOR ?
It's probably just me but FPS-only Starwars game sounds a little corny. :p

The SW franchise has always been handled badly IMO. There's a wealth of crap tie-ins, from crappy toys to crappy Angry birds games. SW doesn't have to have lightsabres, so a first-person shooter would be fine by me. There are many epic battle that could be played. Sadly the decision makers prefer SW Pod Racing to something gamers would like to play. As Lucas got stupidly rich, what does he care? He certainly didn't handle the SW universe with much artistic integrity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WtxqffoAnc

I decided to go back to the old reviews but only found this one from gamespot and posted it because it still had the CGi target render trailer but the second review below in my humble opinion is much more informative for what I am trying to talk about.

I remember reading a lot of complaints/remarks from some reviews that basically had the reviewers opinion being that they wanted to be a Jedi instead of some trooper...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLYMKW3TBOc

This game had some great single player FPS ideas that separated from being a "generic shooter" with the squad commands/orders system and the difficulty being that you did not feel like an invincible "one man army" like most other shooters make you feel.

I realize that talking about franchise based videogames can be dangerous but there was an old game called GoldenEye 007 on N64 and this one is in that list.

Also to RedVi I played and purchased the old Jedi Knight I, Jedi Knight II and Jedi Academy games on PC, I understand what you are saying in that those games were made but they were made generations ago, I look at the current generation trends and have actually wanted to make this topic here on beyond3d way back in 2009 but decided against it for some reason...then noticing how popular and market driving FPS games have become and how both current gen consoles have both a combined 90 million user base, it has surprised me that for whatever reason the Republic Commando ideas or a focused fps set in the Star Wars universe with no Jedi has just not been revisited... and Battlefront was too chaotic and unfocused...

Last edited by a moderator:
The SW franchise has always been handled badly IMO. There's a wealth of crap tie-ins, from crappy toys to crappy Angry birds games. SW doesn't have to have lightsabres, so a first-person shooter would be fine by me. There are many epic battle that could be played. Sadly the decision makers prefer SW Pod Racing to something gamers would like to play. As Lucas got stupidly rich, what does he care? He certainly didn't handle the SW universe with much artistic integrity.

It wasn't always that way. Dark Forces, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight II, and the various space sims (X-wing, Tie Fighter, X-wing vs Tie Fighter) were all excellent and well above average games. Although in that list Jedi Knight II was probably the weakest of the bunch. KOTOR I was decent for an RPG. KOTOR II could have been but wasn't finished (released unfinished and rushed).

But everything since then has pretty much been poo. Ever since Episode I basically. Although I guess some of my friends still thought the Clone Wars cartoon series was good.

I'd love to see a re-make of the original Dark Forces myself. That is one of the premiere FPS games of the 90's.

Regards,
SB

Well LEGO Star Wars are for me the best Star Wars games of this-gen.
On the FPS side I have to say that RC was good for me, I enjoyed it a lot.
IMO Jedi Knight 2 & Academy are/were too "hybrid" to be called FPS. (JK2 still sits in the Olympus of SW games for me)
SW: BF was fun, very arcade shooter, but fun.

Now Despite my love for Lightsabers I think Star Wars is perfect for every genre, so a SW FPS would be great, would fit.
The briefly leaked Star Wars: First Assault indicated that LucasArts is/was going FPS in some way.
Maybe at E3 we will see more but for me LucasArts unlikely will make/bring a Star Wars FPS for this-gen.

SOE already worked with LucasArts and really a FPS MMO made by the guys behind of PlanetSide 2 set in the Star Wars universe could be amazing...a man can dream.

P.S.
I enjoyed SW: Bounty Hunter.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't always that way. Dark Forces, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight II, and the various space sims (X-wing, Tie Fighter, X-wing vs Tie Fighter) were all excellent and well above average games. Although in that list Jedi Knight II was probably the weakest of the bunch.

Personally I've felt Jedi Knight 2 on the XBOX1 had been the best overall gaming experience I had with Star Wars FPS/TPS. It was huge, the artwork/design created the Star Wars atmosphere and the fighting was extremely well designed. Though Dark Forces 2 had a bit more complex puzzles as far as I remember. I had a lot fun with KOTOR but who hadn't. Rogue Squadron II wasn't bad on the gamecube but it's more an arcade game.

I dunno, the pod racing from Episode 1 is pretty conductive to gaming adaptations... I'm actually surprised there's only been 3.5 adaptations(Episode 1 Racer, the forgotten sequel to it on the PS2, the fairly different arcade game made/published by Sega and the mini-game in Star Wars Kinect aka WHY GOD, TELL ME WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY).

Wow Gamespot had a recent feature on Republic Commando pc version just thought I'd share it:

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/random-encounter/?event=republic-commando-20130325

It wasn't always that way. Dark Forces, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight II, and the various space sims (X-wing, Tie Fighter, X-wing vs Tie Fighter) were all excellent and well above average games. Although in that list Jedi Knight II was probably the weakest of the bunch. KOTOR I was decent for an RPG. KOTOR II could have been but wasn't finished (released unfinished and rushed).

But everything since then has pretty much been poo. Ever since Episode I basically. Although I guess some of my friends still thought the Clone Wars cartoon series was good.

I'd love to see a re-make of the original Dark Forces myself. That is one of the premiere FPS games of the 90's.

Regards,
SB

I really liked KOTOR and never understood why KOTOR II was rushed out like that... if anything they could remake them for the HD consoles and fix that and the mmorpg was always a bad idea imho.

The clone wars cartoon cgi keeps star wars alive in a way, the stories tend to be either silly to somewhat serious, but its really fan service... not in a bad way but I haven't watched the last couple seasons...

The Jedi Knight I and II as well as the flight/combat sims should be remade... then again they should be current or next gen made in either sequel form or a new format that does not go in the SW TFU ridiculousness.

From what I understand, George Lucas only turned down the idea of a Wookie game because he thought it was silly to have characters that do not talk in human or alien dialect... I think that was from some vidoc from TFU...

Besides that what is his involvement? other than turning down or approving something that he felt was not silly.

Thank you Davros, I remember reading about those fan modders way back in 2006 or earlier that they were working on finishing KOTOR II. I played that game on xbox 1 and later PC with various graphic cards up to a GeForce 6800GT, now I will retry with either a GeForce GTS 250 or a EVGA GTX 285 FTW ed.

I kind of ignored reading about the kinect Star Wars... No hand waggle please, strictly gamepad controller unless they can make it work on PSMove like Killzone 3...but preferrably gamepad only FPSs and games.

The Star Wars Pod Racer were ok...efforts given how F-Zero and Wipeout were so great, I however expected more from that genre and I hope that next gen consoles get proper updates of each while Wii U should see a return of F-Zero. Considering how the SW Pod Racer could be treated like a sim/arcade style racer with online mode as well, there is so much potential with graphics.

Back