KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

No matter how many things you pick out that can be looked at it an objective fashion, the end result is going to be whether the reviewer liked something, which is very subjective.

True, but most places tend to put reviewers on the Genre's they are most familiar with, so someone reviewing KZ would usually be familiar with all the latest shooters, and with their somewhat expert opinion, should be able to give a fairly accurate rating of how the game compares to it's contemporaries.

I really don't think it's that subjective, generally most reviewers all rate within the same 1-2pt range for a given title, title's that are truly great tend to get consistent 8.5+ everywhere.

That goes doubly for a first person shooter. I can't think of a genre that could be measured more objectively than FPS, just because there are so many, and the mechanics are so extremely similar in each iteration.

All that said, these reviews are very strange. Is this game any good or not!? I had high hopes before launch, then decided not to buy it, mainly because of the Polygon review, 5/10 basically means "This game is shit", then GameTrailers throws down an 8.8? Huh.

True, but most places tend to put reviewers on the Genre's they are most familiar with, so someone reviewing KZ would usually be familiar with all the latest shooters, and with their somewhat expert opinion, should be able to give a fairly accurate rating of how the game compares to it's contemporaries.

I really don't think it's that subjective, generally most reviewers all rate within the same 1-2pt range for a given title, title's that are truly great tend to get consistent 8.5+ everywhere.

That goes doubly for a first person shooter. I can't think of a genre that could be measured more objectively than FPS, just because there are so many, and the mechanics are so extremely similar in each iteration.

All that said, these reviews are very strange. Is this game any good or not!? I had high hopes before launch, then decided not to buy it, mainly because of the Polygon review, 5/10 basically means "This game is shit", then GameTrailers throws down an 8.8? Huh.
Well if we are talking about Arthur Gies here then he gave KZSF a score of 5 even before he played it. Dude literally hates the Killzone franchise.

Looking at the full list of reviews, the Polygon one is clearly way out of line. You don't throw out a 5 unless a game really deserves it. Looks like this is a solid 7 or 8. Might have to reconsider my non-purchase :)

Killzone SF is now a green 75 game by Metacritic.

metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/killzone-shadow-fall/critic-reviews

It was about time. The more the number of fair reviews, the more the Polygon review lessen in importance.

But, and this is the burning question, has anybody on this board played it yet and what do you think? Given as a greater or lesser than others in the KZ series!

So, I have a question.

I can't get online with PSN right now, like many people, so I'm using my guest account to play KS:SF.. I did some botzone and, I must confess, the game looks absolutely atrocious. The particle effects, jaggies, dithering were abominable.. But the LOD was the worst offender. Horribly jarring pop ins that would happen just a handful of feet away. Also, I was highly dubious I was seeing 1920x1080p.

I then hit the SP and it was a realm beyond the MP. Very sharp, no dithering or insane texture pop in..

I can't be the only person experiencing this. Is there some kind of patch for the game that is available once you log into PSN that fixes all this?

So, I have a question.

I can't get online with PSN right now, like many people, so I'm using my guest account to play KS:SF.. I did some botzone and, I must confess, the game looks absolutely atrocious. The particle effects, jaggies, dithering were abominable.. But the LOD was the worst offender. Horribly jarring pop ins that would happen just a handful of feet away. Also, I was highly dubious I was seeing 1920x1080p.

I then hit the SP and it was a realm beyond the MP. Very sharp, no dithering or insane texture pop in..

I can't be the only person experiencing this. Is there some kind of patch for the game that is available once you log into PSN that fixes all this?

Not that I know off. Did a quick google and found this instead:
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...eing-worked-on-to-bring-crashes-down-to-zero/

Nope, the reason i jumped in was because of some dude that posted this:

:)

But then again, they gave COD:Ghosts 6.5 on the PS4, XB1 got 7 because it ran better on the XB1 than the PS4, AC4 got 7.5 and BF 7.5.

So i guess they really have no games they can recommend on the PS4.

Exactly. I didn't point out their KZ score, I had just watched their PS4 review which ended with that statement. It had nothing to do with their KZ review, but the wholething went that way.

@Patsu: Damn You ! I got up excited and rushed to my PC to view screengrabs or a video from you and you .......:devilish: !
Give that boy a good time , We adults can wait ......or can we :oops:

Looking at the full list of reviews, the Polygon one is clearly way out of line. You don't throw out a 5 unless a game really deserves it. Looks like this is a solid 7 or 8. Might have to reconsider my non-purchase :)

5 should be the average score for all reviews if you review enough games.

5 should be the average score for all reviews if you review enough games.

Except there are way more games scored 6-10 than 1-5, which skews the natural average. Anything that scores less than a 5 (or the midway point on the scale of the review scoring system) is generally perceived to be bad and usually is.

Except there are way more games scored 6-10 than 1-5, which skews the natural average. Anything that scores less than a 5 (or the midway point on the scale of the review scoring system) is generally perceived to be bad and usually is.
One has to consider the bias introduced by studios scrapping the really bad stuff. So average scores above 5 are to be expected. ;)

Back