NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That said things are looking very slanted toward Orbis.

I agree. If the rumours are true, which is looking to be reasonably likely, Orbis will have pretty much across the board advantage with the exception of total available system memory.

Well... the developers and their content, user experience and concept, plus marketing will make the most differences. ^_^

Kind of weird how Sony seems to have ended up with a completely straightforward design and MS has ended up with the "exotic" design. Sony definitely learned their lesson last time around. Seems like a console designed straight up by AMD, rather than some internal pipe-dream. Durango seems to be a console designed around having a large amount of RAM at a reasonable price. If MS didn't have grand plans for the OS side of things, they probably would have ended up with the same console as Sony ;)

Did we get confirmation that Orbis's GPU is similar architectually to that of Pitcairn (7970m) while Durango's GPU is more similar architectually to that of an 8850?

And what is the supposed increase in efficiency between GCN and GCN2 in any event?

Kind of weird how Sony seems to have ended up with a completely straightforward design and MS has ended up with the "exotic" design. Sony definitely learned their lesson last time around. Seems like a console designed straight up by AMD, rather than some internal pipe-dream. Durango seems to be a console designed around having a large amount of RAM at a reasonable price. If MS didn't have grand plans for the OS side of things, they probably would have ended up with the same console as Sony ;)

I don't know... I don't see any insurmountable gap so far, despite my feeling that MS and Sony may have special cards on their hands. They both have a lot of goodies in their intellectual warehouse. ^_^

It's likely down to the softer factors and preferences.

Did we get confirmation that Orbis's GPU is similar architectually to that of Pitcairn (7970m) while Durango's GPU is more similar architectually to that of an 8850?

No. That always appeared to be baseless speculation from those attempting to explain how the Durango GPU could match the one from Orbis. I'd wager both are from the same generation, whether that means both are GCN1 or both are GCN2.

I agree. If the rumours are true, which is looking to be reasonably likely, Orbis will have pretty much across the board advantage with the exception of total available system memory.

and cpu, since they're exactly the same...

and maybe audio since supposedly the audio chips in durango are top notch.

pretty much agree with this too.

"Someone said Durango's sound chip is good" does not equal "Orbis' sound chip is worse" in the same way that "Durango's GPU is efficient" does not equate to "Orbis' GPU is inefficient". So it's probably premature to be making claims about which thing we don't know what it is is better than the other.

Right, so it's probably premature to be making claims about which thing we don't know what it is is better than the other.

yup, just reasonable assumptions and speculations since thats all we can really do.

if it makes you feel better, the dsp in ps4 if it's separate is probably more than enough. any advantage durango had in audio would likely be glossed over and ignored by fanboys anyway. it's nothing near a graphical advantage in importance.

the difference between good and great in audio wont be that relevant. and there will be a natural tendency to downplay whatever advantages durango has.

And the CPU's are exactly the same.

Are they?

The DF article says explicitly that the eight Jaguars in the Orbis SoC will be supported by a "GPU-like Compute module (...) that is not a part of the main graphics pipeline", which implies that we will see some GCN elements dedicated to GPGPU algorithms. A APU in a APU if you want.

Eight Jaguars with 1.6Ghz combined deliver 102.4 GFLOPS. A single GCN CU with 800Mhz delivers the exact same 102.4 GFLOPS. A single CU for GPGPU would simply double the amount of raw processing power of the Orbis CPU. Two GCN CUs would even triple it.

I can't see something like that in the Durango block diagram. Since Durango is rumored to be easier to program for than Orbis, wouldn't it be possible that Microsoft goes without a heterogeneous CPU for Durango?

Are they?

The DF article says explicitly that the eight Jaguars in the Orbis SoC will be supported by a "GPU-like Compute module (...) that is not a part of the main graphics pipeline", which implies that we will see some GCN elements dedicated to GPGPU algorithms. A APU in a APU if you want.

Eight Jaguars with 1.6Ghz combined deliver 102.4 GFLOPS. A single GCN CU with 800Mhz delivers the exact same 102.4 GFLOPS. A single CU for GPGPU would simply double the amount of raw processing power of the Orbis CPU. Two GCN CUs would even triple it.

I can't see something like that in the Durango block diagram. Since Durango is rumored to be easier to program for than Orbis, wouldn't it be possible that Microsoft goes without a heterogeneous CPU for Durango?

They are said to be 8 core jag's clocked at 1.6ghz for each, Hence I say exactly the same.

There was some rumoring of some customizations on the Durango cores so who knows for 100% sure.

Again though, proelite on GAF is saying DF was wrong about the discrete compute unit. He claimed it's just an extra scalar on some shaders ALU's and already factored in to the 1.84 TF's.

I guess people will believe what they want, but I suspect he's right.

When vgleaks presumable Orbis diagram comes out hopefully soon, maybe we'll find out.

And finally learn the location of the secret ARM core and DDR3 stash for the OS, as well as of the 2nd, more powerful extra GPU and missing 16GB of rumored prototype GDDR6.

And finally learn the location of the secret ARM core and DDR3 stash for the OS, as well as of the 2nd, more powerful extra GPU and missing 16GB of rumored prototype GDDR6.

You're showing just the same reaction as Aegis on GAF: Polemics. This reaction says it all.

Both will be a good jump from PS360, so Durango won't be like the Wii or Wii U, where they seem dated on launch date. Just hinges on how interested people are in the OS + Kinect + Live services etc. If they just want straight up gaming, it'll be a tough sell. Market share can shift quickly. The good thing for MS, is people in North America seem to like their services, and they have a good number of Live subscribers tied in that will be resistant to changing brands (online friends they've made over the last gen etc.) Personally, I'd have no issue jumping ship if the other product suits my wants better ;) The interesting part of the Durango launch is going to be when they talk about software and peripherals.

No more or less interesting than when Sony talk about software and peripherals.

Come on this has to settle down. I still can never understand why specifications, which lets be honest the vast majority don't fully understand get posters so worked up. When these consoles are launched, if want to play the next unchartered game you have no choice but to buy the Orbis, if you want Halo, its Durango the rest of the 3rd party games will be on both and I bet my last pound they will look remarkably similar no matter what the platform.

You guys really seem to be fighting about nothing.

The key point is that each company didn't know what the other was doing until it was too late, and so their designs are based on their strategy and goals for their respective consoles.

MS wanted a trojan horse to take over the living room and strengthen the Windows ecosystem and MS brand against the likes of Google and Apple, and Sony wanted more or less a traditional console.

Both their designs reflect their companies strategy, therefore Durango has less GPU power and more resources reserved for the OS and apps because MS wants a jack of all trades media box.

It is silly to assume that designs started without knowledge of what their competitors were doing would magically be 'equal', last gen was a rare exception, pretty much every other gen has consoles with their own strengths and weaknesses, and it certainly looks like it'll be the case this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back