Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Why do you think ppl would attack you for it ? MGS2 was supremely special because of its very theme, and we have , me , my wife and my gamer friends , had countless discussions on the theme of MGs2 and 4. Its not everyday that a game openly says that videogames are training kids for war! MGS 4 did that , not to get sales or rake up controversies(ala COD) , but did it elegantly, posed the question and discussed it openly, yet honestly. That too inside a videogame !

Kojima is God of gaming. I think most of the people who play his games get those deeper meanings, and th at is exactly why he has that kindof sales and following. I have no doubt that this bloody direction that he has taken for MgS V will have a thought provoking theme behind it too. You can literally feel it in that trailer ! You can feel Snake going thru it all.

But even with all of that he makes sure his games make fun of the game, you , snake himself and put a smile on ur face, like every good game should, for one reason or another. MGS is th eperfect balance of seriousness, stupidity, social commentary, spirituality ,fun and interactive entertainment.

The only experience that ever came close was SOTC.
Well I have been "attacked" in the past trying to defend the game in other forums ;)

But I am glad people in here appreciate the series for what it really is :)

I'm gonna take a guess what her ability is...

It's "scar tissue" and she can turn it on and off. The scar tissue is thick and hard and protects from direct physical pain, but can also camouflage her.

The scars are from some traumatic history I'm not going to guess as to what it is...

Let's see if I get it right :)

I like the way she looks just fine. Nothing wrong with sexy for sexy's sake as far as I'm concerned (which is most likely not the full story anyway). Movies do it all the time. Did anyone ever complain about Kate Beckinsale's attire in the Underworld movies? About Hugh Jackman's impossibly manly torso which he proudly keeps on showcasing in practically every single movie he's ever done for no real reason? Nope, we don't. They are gorgeous guys and ladies and we love looking at them. It's not like the series ever really gave a crap about practicality and/or plausibility either. Character designs like her aren't exactly alien territory for the Metal Gear series, so why all the stink all of a sudden. And what a surprise, a scene in which soldiers basically eviscerated a young boy barely made a single headline.

Oh my, the demo for the stage event is 100% more difficult. The behavior of the enemy is different every time, I can’t help it because I cannot predict it. If I’m found out [by the enemy] while playing it may not be possible to complete the presentation as planned. If it was our own booth, extending the time would be possible on a case-by-case basis, but this time it’s not.

Although its a problem for Kojima, this is very good news for us gamers :D !

Interrogating enemies is back from MGS 3 :D. IF u get surprised by an enemey, u get a momentary bullet time to react. Throw one guys body at another to stun. SNake parked a jeep but when he returned it was gone !

Too westernised in terms of interface, I will say. I would prefer the older one more. Makes it look generic. But obviously they want to please the west for no reason. You already have enough fans Kojima, but I can understand. Wish you would stay unique and not copy the west.

Don't really like the splinter cell like marking ennemies. Look too splinter cell-ish =/
Agreed too westernised. At least it looks like the transition between cutscene and gameplay will be instantaneous.

yea, the new Icons for pickingup, droppping tc are really bad. Guess who designed them and you can see they are trying to look westernised in hit indicators....choosing weapons menu.. everything HUD actually.Why would you move t eweapon selection from the side of the screen to obtrusive centre of the screen: cos the west does so ? Meaningless. Looks bad. MGS is a trandsetter not follower. Since when does Kojima have to come down please the west? Why the lack of confidence Kojima? Weirdly all the trailers before this were supremely MGS, and now this. :(

EDIT: also, the graphics looked very...umm..."garish". Not the way they looked the last time we were shown this area. Too high contrast-ey and rough. Maybe, its just a case of having seen it before, or the fact that this time it was actual sony hardware. BTW<Kojima hasn't confirmed what platform it was running on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The HUD is in my opinion far better than MGS 4 or MGS 3 HUD.
Not having the HP bar and no weapon/item icons constantly on screen adds a lot to the immersion.

Interaction prompts are redundant for me but they are useful for inexperienced players that needs to learn about eh mechanics/basic of the game.
Hopefully we will be able to turn them off but it's not a big deal. (BTW MGS 4 had interaction prompts as well)

Not really.
Weapons' icons appear on the right lower corner of the screen and bullets in the mag are displayed just like in every MGS .
It's nothing new nor copied form other shooters.

Now icons/HUD is can either be placed in the top corners or in the bottom corners and that's because of how we read images.
The alternative is to put holographic HUD on BB body a la Dead Space (which I would love because it's far more believable then having icons) but Kojima might just prefer to keep icons like in every MGS.

For the record I hate HUD so nothing would make me more happy than removing it altogether and use visual/audio cues instead but I doubt it will happen.

Just going by what would make sense for a little bit of realism. But Besides that provocatively shown women is nothing new to the franchise.
Since when was MGS realistic?! It's high fantasy, where people can wear whatever irrespective of the circumstances because Kojima can assign them any super-power the justify the absurdity of the situation.

Since when was MGS realistic?! It's high fantasy, where people can wear whatever irrespective of the circumstances because Kojima can assign them any super-power the justify the absurdity of the situation.

I'll have you know that women can engage in all sorts of combat in high heels and skin tight leather pants. If anything it is an advantage as the man is too distracted to launch an attack.

IMO this is exactly that what makes it so brilliant. There's a fine line between realistic / believable gameplay mechanics or story - yet the character design is out of this world. I remember the first MGS - the stealth sneaking, the cat & mouse game you can engage with the guards/soldiers and then the first encounter with one of the bosses that seemed like this huge obstacle and out of this world.

Boss-fights are something that are hard to do in games limited to realistic settings (Call of Duty games etc) but in games like MGS or fantasy games such as GoW, it really makes the game and these gaming moments are hard to forget. I still think battling psycho-mantis or pretty much any boss in Snake-Eater are among the most memorable gaming moments ever. The Fury or the End were simply exhilirating.

I haven't clicked the video btw - I'm just so excited about having a new MGS soon and I don't want it to be spoilt in the slightest.

I never encountered a character in MGS and thought the character design should be more realistic. They are over the top because that's exactly how they should be. It's a lot less "off" when the character is extremely over the top rather than when they are semi-realistic.

IMO this is exactly that what makes it so brilliant. There's a fine line between realistic / believable gameplay mechanics or story - yet the character design is out of this world. I remember the first MGS - the stealth sneaking, the cat & mouse game you can engage with the guards/soldiers and then the first encounter with one of the bosses that seemed like this huge obstacle and out of this world.

Boss-fights are something that are hard to do in games limited to realistic settings (Call of Duty games etc) but in games like MGS or fantasy games such as GoW, it really makes the game and these gaming moments are hard to forget. I still think battling psycho-mantis or pretty much any boss in Snake-Eater are among the most memorable gaming moments ever. The Fury or the End were simply exhilirating.

I haven't clicked the video btw - I'm just so excited about having a new MGS soon and I don't want it to be spoilt in the slightest.

I never encountered a character in MGS and thought the character design should be more realistic. They are over the top because that's exactly how they should be. It's a lot less "off" when the character is extremely over the top rather than when they are semi-realistic.
MGS mixes many things simultaneously and it works brilliantly when it achieves the right balance between these:
1)Realism
2)Fantasy
3)A product that behaves as if it self aknowledges it is a game
MGS mostly achieved that balance well
Some rare times it didnt.
For example MGS: Twin Snakes was a super cheesy version of the original that overdid it with stupid action sequences. For example a Cyborg Ninja or a man with Psychic powers that can dodge missiles and bullets is very acceptable in the game's world. We are fine with that
But seeing Snake being able to dodge bullets or missiles and even walk/jump on a Hind D missile is just outrageous even for MGS. I have no idea what Silicon Knights were thinking. They westernized Snake to a super ideal action figure. Hideo Kojima's Snake was different. Snake unlike most action heroes always demonstrated human weaknesses and vulnerabilities. He would often get caught on very awful situations he has no control of. He would get tortured, beaten, and feel mental and physical pain like a normal person. This is what make him so believable and easy to identify with him. At the same time he also appeared to be self aware that he is in a game. The game very often broke the 4th wall. But he did demonstrate his strong will, stamina and skill. But not to the point of ridicule. There was a great balance. Even his supernatural enemies had human weaknesses and characteristics.

@Nesh

Actually , to quote Wikipedia, "cut scenes and models were developed in-house at Konami and directed by Japanese film director Ryuhei Kitamura, reflecting his dynamic signature style, utilizing bullet-time photography and choreographed gunplay extensively. Kitamura created many of the game's cinematics to look identical to those in the original Metal Gear Solid, but upon inspection Hideo Kojima had him redo them in his own style."

Silicon Knights is blameless.

Back