News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
60 Hz judder fix coming

There's only so much they can do. They can fix it for full screen 50 hz, and no doubt make a 50hz compatible dash for overlaying elements on 50 hz video (and both of these things would be good), but any attempt to overlay 50hz on 60hz will result in judder (though most won't want to game and watch telly at the same time).

24 fps DVD and Blu Ray will be much better at 50hz. Might actually be a viable DVD and BR player if the fix is good enough.

Microsoft say Kinect is indispensable for Kinect. In other words, there won't be a Kinect-less bundle, which imho is the right thing to do.

Then they'd better be prepared to bleed for a couple of years while Kinect picks up momentum!

So now, in the UK at least, there is absolutely no reason to buy an XBone before the 14th March!?

Guess not, even if you're not (for some surprising reason having loved the beta) interested in Titanfall, you wait until then and get the game for free and eBay the code.

Of course making sure the code is sold within your region ;P

Twitch streaming launches with Titanfall and the March system update.

I don't know what this means: "Twitch CEO Emmett Shear told the associated press that players will also have the option to join the broadcaster's party mid-stream; something that is lacking from the PS4 version of the service."

More info: http://kotaku.com/complete-twitch-integration-is-coming-to-xbox-one-1530431872

To start streaming with Kinect, you'll say "Xbox, broadcast. (You can also use button commands). To stop streaming, you can say "Stop broadcast" or "Xbox, stop broadcast.
You can send ask to join a game that's being broadcast if it's coming from an Xbox One and you're on an Xbox One.
You can view streams from any system. In a press release this morning, Microsoft mentioned the following examples as options: "Titanfall (Xbox One), Minecraft (Xbox 360), Star Craft II (PC), Uncharted (PS4) — watch all the games you want to watch on Xbox One."

The Twitch app is made by Twitch, not Microsoft.

Video of the March OS update

They're doing a good job of listening to feedback and improving the UI. Glad game invites are back. The new party snap looks good. I like that it lets you know who you're playing with vs chatting with. New friend screen layout is much better. Pretty much all of the main functions you want are on the top level view.

I don't know what this means: "Twitch CEO Emmett Shear told the associated press that players will also have the option to join the broadcaster's party mid-stream; something that is lacking from the PS4 version of the service."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMq_ajNBTy8">YouTube Link</a>

More info: http://kotaku.com/complete-twitch-integration-is-coming-to-xbox-one-1530431872

On the ps4 you can only watch other ps4 streams. I guess that is what they meant. You can jump into streams like you want and the ps4 streams are just like other streams on Twitch.tv platforms.

On the ps4 you can only watch other ps4 streams. I guess that is what they meant. You can jump into streams like you want and the ps4 streams are just like other streams on Twitch.tv platforms.

I think, reading up on it, you can be watching a stream and then request an invite to the broadcasters party to join their game. Like, they just made joining their game a bit easier, because you don't have to go and look up their gamertag and make a friend request first, or something.

But yah, you can also watch streams from PS4, PC etc on the Xbox One.

New controller update featuring the improvements recommended by Respawn is live, apparently. I am curious about Respawn's touch.

ulcUA36.jpg

Sigh... I thought it would be there next time I power on the console.

NEWS:

Phil Spencer said that they are seeking out to hire ex-Sony Santa Monica developers affected by the layoff. I wonder how many they are interested in scooping up along with Irrational Games devs, they could hire them all and create a new studio!

http://www.gamrreview.com/news/91064/microsoft-hiring-ex-sony-santa-monica-staff/

Xbox One named product of the year 2014 (Home Entertainment)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-named-product-of-the-year-for-2014/1100-6417947/

The voice command for Twitch is "Xbox Broadcast!".

Another new feature is something Jwm was asking for, time ago.

Now you can set the exact amount of volume you want to adjust, indicated in numerical bars, every time you say "Xbox Volume Up" or "Xbox Volume Down".

mpJSKVO.jpg

I'd be quiet interested to hear how this actually works. As far as I understand, when you use your Xbox to control your AVR volume and you say "volume up", in what kind of metric/scale does the volume indicate? Seeing that picture, I assume it's a scale of 1 out of a 100?

How does this work in a practical sense? Is the implementation different depending if it uses CEC or an IR blaster? Assuming you are using IR, how does the Xbox realize what max is? Or is a number jump simply 'the next step on your AVR'? e.g. a jump by 1 would be 1 assuming an AVR with a scale of 1-100 or a dB equivilant if your AVR uses -80 - 0 dB?

I'd be quiet interested to hear how this actually works. As far as I understand, when you use your Xbox to control your AVR volume and you say "volume up", in what kind of metric/scale does the volume indicate? Seeing that picture, I assume it's a scale of 1 out of a 100?

How does this work in a practical sense? Is the implementation different depending if it uses CEC or an IR blaster? Assuming you are using IR, how does the Xbox realize what max is? Or is a number jump simply 'the next step on your AVR'? e.g. a jump by 1 would be 1 assuming an AVR with a scale of 1-100 or a dB equivilant if your AVR uses -80 - 0 dB?
I think I can only answer your initial question, as I haven't tried the rest of the options you give.

As it stands now, from personal experience -my TV is a Philips- when I say "Xbox Volume Up" or "Volume Down" it increases or decreases the volume up to 2 or 3 notches, it's random, it depends. I never upped the volume to the max, but I think the max volume of my TV is 100, not entirely sure.

Still I have a very sensitive hearing, and up between 4 and 7 I am usually fine with the volume. Default volume in a busy, loud day, upped to 17-20 is okay, but more than that it becomes annoying for me. So with the current implementation it doesn't take much to increase or decrease the volume to an acceptable level, but I might the default value to 4 or 5 when the new update comes out.

Thanks for that. Is that over HDMI or does the Xbox One use an IR blaster?
Over HDMI for me, haven't tried the IR blaster option yet tbh. Maybe eastmen, Scott, etc could answer the rest of your questions...

I'm assuming that volume change setting is the equivalent of how many times you want to press the volume button on your remote. Setting it to 5 would be like pressing volume up five times. That's the signal your tv or receiver would understand.

Wrong Cyan. You are using the IR-Blaster functionality. That is all Xbox One does.

The Xbox One only uses the IR Blaster built into the Kinect sensor. It does not use any HDMI-CEC controls at all. Anyone who says otherwise is confused.

This is not to be confused with the separate/additional IR-blaster than can be plugged in [ http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/live-tv/use-external-ir-with-xbox-one ]

Thanks for posting that. I actually assumed as much, given he noted that the volume increases are sometimes a bit random. Sounds a bit like a IR type of command that depending on the duration of the signal (and the interference) that it sometimes registers as 2 or 3 notches.

I actually haven't spent much time fiddling with HDMI-CEC, so wouldn't know how well that works (if it gets implemented). Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm assuming that volume change setting is the equivalent of how many times you want to press the volume button on your remote. Setting it to 5 would be like pressing volume up five times. That's the signal your tv or receiver would understand.

I have the update and this is exactly what it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back