News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if somebody has tourette syndrome ?

Will it end up being the new medical marihuana card? No MS/Sony, see I got a doctors note, I got tourette syndrom, so its uncontrollable :D

Coprolalia is in fact quite rare in Tourette sufferers.

It also turns out that although the tics are involuntary, they are neither constant nor entirely unpredictable.

So yeah, it wouldn't be a very good excuse.

A Xbox Live friend said that he who has two dogs (a Labrador retriever and a pug) and the console detects both very precisely and in great detail! :smile:

Curiously my Kinect fundamentally failed to detect my 2 year old son at all, to the point that it would still point to the location on the sofa where I was sitting (after hiding behind it so only he was in the field of view) rather than detect him! Maybe it doesn't like the location I've got it at.

Curiously my Kinect fundamentally failed to detect my 2 year old son at all, to the point that it would still point to the location on the sofa where I was sitting (after hiding behind it so only he was in the field of view) rather than detect him! Maybe it doesn't like the location I've got it at.

Your son was born to be a Ninja. :D

Regards,
SB

I guess you're going to have to tell him that you're trading him in for a cat that will work with Kinect.

Anyway I have a great idea for MS which I hope they will pursue if they haven't already...add a motion detection "security" app with remote viewing from the internet. Basically turn it into an internet camera for monitoring anytime the authorized user wants to and/or when motion is detected notify me on my cellphone. Maybe even start recording the motion detected activity.:cool:

And this differs from the worst police state / Big Brother box scenarios how? No way Microsoft officially dips into those waters considering the political landscape at the moment.

Cheers

And this differs from the worst police state / Big Brother box scenarios how?
Microsoft are not detaining people indefinitely without due process, beating people, torturing people or engaging in extra-judicial killings. Because that is what the worst police states do on a fairly regular basis.

And this differs from the worst police state / Big Brother box scenarios how? No way Microsoft officially dips into those waters considering the political landscape at the moment.

Cheers

How is my idea any different from companies selling internet cameras to do the same thing?:???:

If you don't want to use that cool feature then don't enable it. Make it off by default or maybe require a download for those wanting it. X1 is an all in one box and this feature would be a no brainer and would add to the growing list of non-gaming features.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is my idea any different from companies selling internet cameras to do the same thing?:???:

If you don't want to use that cool feature then don't enable it.

Exactly

Given than devs for system apps have acces to Kinect stuff,
You just have given an idea for a useful app, not necessarily from Ms

Is there already an app shop on XO??

I don't think there's an app "store" for X1 yet but I could see one in the future. There's already a "app store" for Windows 8 apps for phones/tablets/PCs. Currently all of the apps for X360/X1 were probably developed by MS.

I don't think there's an app "store" for X1 yet but I could see one in the future. There's already a "app store" for Windows 8 apps for phones/tablets/PCs.

Oh, thanks

I hope when it comes both the XO app store and the ability of turning every XO into a dev unit, will have a myriad of non gaming content on the console

Ryan McCaffery has created an Xbox One site for feedback. Major Nelson has noticed it & has forwarded to the powers that be. Looks like a good place to corral all the issues with the system. Hopefully Microsoft listens like they say they are.

http://xboxfeedback.com/

BTW it has its own comments section that allows you to post comments via Disqus. Facebook, Twitter or Google. If you're a Reddit user you can post to a thread there...

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1rcsrc/xbox_feedback_my_unofficial_list_of_issues_and/

Tommy McClain

What's the situation with indie games on the xb1? By indie meaning $1 type games written by one person, are there any of those types of games on there for purchase or is it all just games written by full on dev studios? I used to like those on the 360, had fun with games like Escape Goat, etc...

What's the situation with indie games on the xb1? By indie meaning $1 type games written by one person, are there any of those types of games on there for purchase or is it all just games written by full on dev studios? I used to like those on the 360, had fun with games like Escape Goat, etc...

No indie games at the store yet. Xbox ID starts at the beginning of next year.
So far there are just a games store with all your launch titles. There are a few 20 dollar games like crimson dragon, lococycle and the golf game. Then you have an app store.

What shredenvain said, plus the console is a development kit in itself, so every owner has the potential to create a game. Developing for the console is free for indies, but you have to prove you are a developer to join the ID@Xbox program.

On another note, I registered my console here.

https://myservice.xbox.com

Then this message appeared, so it's advisable to register your device: "Console repairs are available at no charge through the standard warranty expiration date of Feb 10, 2016. This device is eligible for an Extended Service Plan"

Sometimes complex technologies like this seem to perform oddly in "unexpected" situations like what you describe. A Xbox Live friend told me that Kinect once signed him in when it was actually his dog facing the camera, so you get the idea.

I like how it always recognise me. Sometimes I power on the console and I look around while it launches to the OS, at times I am scratching my ear inadvertently and situations like that when I completely distracted, yet the console signs me in because it recognises me pretty well.

Ryan McCaffery has created an Xbox One site for feedback. Major Nelson has noticed it & has forwarded to the powers that be. Looks like a good place to corral all the issues with the system. Hopefully Microsoft listens like they say they are.

http://xboxfeedback.com/

BTW it has its own comments section that allows you to post comments via Disqus. Facebook, Twitter or Google. If you're a Reddit user you can post to a thread there...

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1rcsrc/xbox_feedback_my_unofficial_list_of_issues_and/

Tommy McClain
I think the community thing is something where Xbox One shines, so I know they are going to listen to the people.

I am follower of the Killer Instinct guy, Maximilliam, the activity feed of your friends is well made and organised, and they are building a hell of an ecosystem around it.

I added like 40 friends in the last few days, which might sound pretty normal, but on the Xbox 360 I was very selective because there wasn't much to share with friends.

The situation is different with the Xbox One. You can have a list for your favourite friend/s, and the more friends you have the more Drivatars you can potentially race against in Forza 5, opponents in Powerstar Golf and things like that in many other games.

I am amazed at the work behind the infrastructure of the console.

The Xbox One is a much, much better console than it was credited for, but there has been some mistakes on Microsoft's part..., shady interests, and I can't say I enjoy reading certain journalists and gaming sites in the video gaming industry nowadays, too.

People that felt unsure are now thrilled with the console once they put their hands on it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/2309235/xbox-one-review

plus the console is a development kit in itself, so every owner has the potential to create a game.

I would stress "potential" since it's not supported just yet. I'm sure we will get more details next year, but it's not looking like the Indie program is anything like the Xbox Live Indie Games program. That's good & bad. The good is that the titles should be better quality & they should have access to Achievements, Gamerscore, Leaderboards, Internet & Kinect. However, the bad is that not just anybody can make a game. Yes, EVENTUALLY developers can use the retail system as an SDK, but you're not going to see a large influx of titles like the previous system or like the open markets on iOS or Android. Quality over quantity? Let's hope, but I'm going to miss some of the kind of titles that were on the old system.

Tommy McClain

I would stress "potential" since it's not supported just yet. I'm sure we will get more details next year, but it's not looking like the Indie program is anything like the Xbox Live Indie Games program. That's good & bad. The good is that the titles should be better quality & they should have access to Achievements, Gamerscore, Leaderboards, Internet & Kinect. However, the bad is that not just anybody can make a game. Yes, EVENTUALLY developers can use the retail system as an SDK, but you're not going to see a large influx of titles like the previous system or like the open markets on iOS or Android. Quality over quantity? Let's hope, but I'm going to miss some of the kind of titles that were on the old system.

Tommy McClain
Has this been confirmed? I thought you would have to prove you know how to program the simplest game at list, but I believe the admission entry was very flexible.

Back into the Xbox One's infrastructure thing, all your saves are automatically saved on the cloud, not only in your HD. Great.

You can go to a friend's house, sign in with your profile and play your games on their console from where you left the last time you played those games on your Xbox One.

Here's their signup link:

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/Developers/id

Of note:

Of course, we’ll be evaluating each developer application individually on its own merits, but in the initial phase of ID@Xbox, we are looking for professional independent game developers who have a proven track record of shipping games on console, PC, mobile, or tablet.

As to what that means I'm not totally sure, but it seems to imply that they want more than just "created by one developer" type indie games. Seems like they want more elaborate content this time around. I'll find out I guess, I'll register in a few days and see what happens. Worse case they say no.

Has this been confirmed? I thought you would have to prove you know how to program the simplest game at list, but I believe the admission entry was very flexible.

Back into the Xbox One's infrastructure thing, all your saves are automatically saved on the cloud, not only in your HD. Great.

You can go to a friend's house, sign in with your profile and play your games on their console from where you left the last time you played those games on your Xbox One.

Don't know what that latter stuff have to do with developing on the Xbox One.

It was said by Marc Whitten at Gamescom that retail SDK support won't come until after launch & most likely next year...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/20/xbox-one-retail-debug-delay/

There's also this on the official site...

The ID@Xbox program enables developers to self-publish their games on Xbox One. First, developers apply to the program to become registered developers and receive a loan of two Xbox One development kits and access to the Xbox One developer documentation and support forums. Then developers submit a Title Information form, receive a Title ID and begin development. Games that come through ID@Xbox have full access to the entire Live suite of tools and technology, including Gamerscore, Achievements, and Kinect.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/home

ID@Xbox program is definitely nothing like the XBLIG program.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back