News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Microsft REALLY plans to charge $499 for THIS? For $50 more, I can get a Radeon HD7970 GHz edition.
Please reconsider Microsoft. $299 - $399.

No. There was no mention of price at all.

was that j allard at the 10sec mark of the xbox anthem video? Interesting if so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbTzFEEfiQ

edit.. nvm. it definitely was. robbie bach, ed fries, and other early xbox execs all present and accounted for. just curious, what, if any, input they may have had on xbox one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Durango reveal was so underwhelming, and the product so unappealing, that a lot of my Wii U hate has evaporated in a cloud of "Gen 7" indifference.

Two pitches, two strikes. PS4 had better be good.

I was being sarcastic. A 24 hour heartbeat is a non-issue.

Unless you don't have the internet for 24 hours. Then it becomes a non-non-issue.

There is a workaround though - not buying the Xbox One. It's similar in principle to the most popular Windows 8 / Metro workaround.

Can you account for a GPU speed bump and the confirmed 768 operations per second? I'm fuzzy on the math behind it so I'm genuinely asking and not implying.

768 is just the shader count, says nothing to a clock bump.

now the question is if bkilian knows from his ms friends there was no bump, or it's legit just his opinion,

Personally I'm not too concerned about the always online/always connected requirements. Not being able to purchased used games might affect. Though I purchased fewer used games as I went through this generation. Most of my AAA games were purchased new. As long as they provide demos/day one purchases I'll be fine with it. I hardly ever go to a friend's house who has a 360. In fact, I usually took my own box. Though I did play some games on my dad's 360 during holidays, but I always had an Internet connection to log into my account. If that's all that's needed for Xbox One, then sounds fine to me.

Tommy McClain

I can totally see college students raging over the one disk one install, second account full fee.

I wonder how Gamestop and the other retailers plan to react about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unless you don't have the internet for 24 hours. Then it becomes a non-non-issue.

There is a workaround though - not buying the Xbox One. It's similar in principle to the most popular Windows 8 / Metro workaround.

Which happens how often for most people in one year? For me, less than once a year. Probably less than 2 times in five years, if I had to guess.

I HAVE NO WORDS...
http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

Edge Online was ridiculed by everyone in January, but sadly they were 100% right. Once activated game disc has resell value of ZERO DOLLARS. Activation #2 requires payment OF FULL PRICE. The only value disc has is that it can give you all the game data without slow/long download from the web.

Also, console will ask for Internet connection to authenticate your games daily. I know that pointless gifs are not welcomed here, but...

It's one option. ONE.

Activation #2 only costs money if the original owner wishes to keep playing the game on his account as well.

1. Sell the game as used and de-activate current owners access to the game. No cost.

2. Give the friend a game, but you want to keep playing the game on your machine. Friend is going to have to pay for the game to play it on their system.

3. Go to a friends out with your copy of the game so you can play on their machine. Log into your account. No cost.

Seems reasonable to me. And since Option 2 isn't even remotely similar to a person selling a used game, then no, you won't have to pay to be able to play a used copy of a game. Although personally I think they should charge a small fee (5 USD or something).

I don't know about others, but I'm damn cheap and buy only about 1/5 to 1/4 of the games I play. :LOL: The rest are borrowed to play on my own account.

XB1 is a non-starter for me.

In which case are Microsoft really losing that much if you ditch their system? If you won't ever pay for all the games you play it's unlikely that you'd also pay for apps., media, or services on the platform.

As well, while Sony may not do this. Don't be surprised if they have a similar strategy to that outlined above. After all many of these things are done in order to make the publishers happy and keep them in business so that games can continue to be made for consoles at an affordable price.

If Sony doesn't have a similar business model as above, then also don't be surprised if you see more 3rd party exclusives on Xbox, timed or otherwise.

Regards,
SB

The Durango reveal was so underwhelming, and the product so unappealing, that a lot of my Wii U hate has evaporated in a cloud of "Gen 7" indifference.

Two pitches, two strikes. PS4 had better be good.

Alas, yes, it was. This forum is a peaceful backwater, but the rest of the internet certainly isn't.

768 is just the shader count, says nothing to a clock bump.

now the question is if bkilian knows from his ms friends there was no bump, or it's legit just his opinion,

Hes been honest as he can be to this point.

No reason to doubt him now.

Besides if you add up all the bandwidth show at vgleaks you get way more than 200 gbs. Each move engine has 20 gb/s so what if its all coming out if the 68 gb/s and you are never going to hit it in the game of top trumps it gives you a win. And this isn't including the 30 gb/s to the cpu either.

So with a little bit of creative maths we have 280 gb/s

I was being sarcastic. A 24 hour heartbeat is a non-issue.

Also means your game collection is tied to health and well being of the authentication server, something out of your control. But whatever, that's an argument for someone who'd actually care to build a collection on this console.

I received a zavvi.com pre-order email for the XBONE with a listing of £399.99, which usually translates to somewhere $500 US, though it could go lower.

Interesting, from those comments, always online was never set in stone.

And the internet response to the leak that it might be required was what tipped the battle in favor of the internal camp that didn't want always online.

It makes me wonder if one camp was arguing the side of publishers who were likely the ones really pushing for it. While the other camp was arguing the side of gamers noting that while internet adoption is quite high now compared to 2005, it can still be somewhat unreliable for some people.

Regards,
SB

Very disappointed if these rumours are true. I have come to really enjoy my xbox360.The quality and scope of the games the access to content and the great UI,so I was really looking to forward to what this system has to offer/ But it just seems far too restrictive and intrusive. Is MS serious that I HAVE TO let them ( a complete stranger) put a camera in my living room otherwise their system wont work?
And of course the always online and used game situation is almost as bad.
I guess I will be one of those guys someday that will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future.

i actually really like most everything about this console (could mostly care less about no used games, online every 24 etc) but...

why the hell did ms not "splurge" on a few more cu's? you know, 14, 16, something to close the alleged gap a bit. what would it have cost them incrementally? 2 bucks? 5?

i realize they couldn't have short term reacted like this, but it should have been in their long term planning to have a bit more beef, ya know?

so shortsighted for such a wealthy company.

i have a feeling they'll "win" anyway, based on tv and all the other crap, and have their shitty power doesn't matter thinking validated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back