News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a ms patent

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...AN/Microsoft+And+eye&RS=(AN/Microsoft+AND+eye)

WIDE FIELD-OF-VIEW VIRTUAL IMAGE PROJECTOR

One these patents became available today another referring to determine depth using lasers referenced what MS calls a "three dimensional gpu". This my first time seeing MS referring to a gpu in such fashion.

To be honest if MS releases a console with 3d lenses that projects a illumni room like wide view while projecting 3d images that appear as if they are within your living space and it works well. Its a wrap and the lack of gpu performance wont matter.

Given my experience with 3D so far, I would have to disagree entirely.

Given my experience with 3D so far, I would have to disagree entirely.

Given the popularity of the smartphone prior to Apple and Google's entrance, poorly recieved prior attempts at a certain technologies doesnt naturally mean future attempts will be met with the same lack of enthusiasm.

Nevertheless, I am very skeptical that MS could pull off something like this, but given Apple's resurgence anything is possible.

Yeah sure, they probably mean that this news story is from 2013 lol
I wont believe vgleaks. They got all the Infos and Docs from DaE and thats a fact.
We should simply wait until April.

They were asked directly and someone made a similar comment and they confirmed the data is from 2013

Given the popularity of the smartphone prior to Apple and Google's entrance, poorly recieved prior attempts at a certain technologies doesnt naturally mean future attempts will be met with the same lack of enthusiasm.

Nevertheless, I am very skeptical that MS could pull off something like this, but given Apple's resurgence anything is possible.

Entirely true. However, if you were going to invest heavily in a technology (i.e. - bet the farm) it would be nice to know that there were some simple tech problem that were holding you back, and they had been solved or mitigated in some fashion. I think the tech itself, outside of some niche applications, is a flop.

Entirely true. However, if you were going to invest heavily in a technology (i.e. - bet the farm) it would be nice to know that there were some simple tech problem that were holding you back, and they had been solved or mitigated in some fashion. I think the tech itself, outside of some niche applications, is a flop.

Agreed.

MS's use of a head display seems to try to tackle 3d with three different displays. The main display glasses will using transparent lenses that project images into your eye, while using Kinect to determine your positions as reference points for the angles and positions of the images being projected by the lens.

Reading through MS's research site is starting to make me believe that Kinect and it's perpherial features are what motivated the inclusion of eSRAM and the DMEs and not core gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I curious as to the rationale for this. What about Kinect and other peripherals is uniquely dependent on ESRAM and DMA engines?

Why do other architectures have large on-die memories and DMA engines, but do not interface with Kinect?
Why is the ESRAM right on an outbound path from the GPU--a path heavily used by core gameplay?

What if the new X360 is a USB stick that you plug into one of the USB ports on the Xbox? :D Yeah yeah, not likely. But some kind of add-on to the new Xbox would be interesting.

SB

The new 360 is going to be a PS2 slim like repackage, MS are hoping to replicate the long tail of the PS2.

I'd have thought they would have just repackaged the 360 SoC into their XboxTV device but I'm guessing they couldn't do that because Win8/RT doesn't run on PPC.

So it looks like by the end of the year or 2014, there'll be 3 Xbox devices on market
1. the new Xbox (Durango)
2. Xbox TV
3. Xbox 360 Super slim

Where are these new 360 Super Slim rumors coming from? Not doubting, just curious.

From the Yukon leak, MS's goal was to offer something referred to as Xbox 361 sometime in 2012 iirc. Verge has been pushing the rumor for a while now that it was a streamlined 360 aimed at being a set top box with limited gaming capabilities.

From the Yukon leak, MS's goal was to offer something referred to as Xbox 361 sometime in 2012 iirc. Verge has been pushing the rumor for a while now that it was a streamlined 360 aimed at being a set top box with limited gaming capabilities.

The 360 still isn't a SOC from what I recall. Dropping it to 28nm or even 22nm (depends on when during the year it comes out perhaps ) add in ever cheaper flash ram and they might be able to put out a console the size of the wii u with say 16 or 32 gigs of flash with the power of the xbox 360 that works with the Kinect.

The 360 currently sells at $200 but I could see a new micron process and a redesign being able to drop down to $100 or so.

That would move a lot of hardware and even more software for MS and just add more money to the pile. The ps2 was able to sell for years after the xbox 360 and ps3 launched and more importantly it sold a ton of software and accessories that helped sony absorb the cluster frig that was the ps3.

So it would be in MS's best interest to do so.

Whats more if the Durango is a DVR and based on some form of windows media center the new Xbox 360 design would make great streamers for it. Perhaps the redesign could also have hardware assisting a stream so that you could play some Durango games in another room from a 360

The 360 still isn't a SOC from what I recall. Dropping it to 28nm or even 22nm (depends on when during the year it comes out perhaps ) add in ever cheaper flash ram and they might be able to put out a console the size of the wii u with say 16 or 32 gigs of flash with the power of the xbox 360 that works with the Kinect.

The 360 currently sells at $200 but I could see a new micron process and a redesign being able to drop down to $100 or so.

That would move a lot of hardware and even more software for MS and just add more money to the pile. The ps2 was able to sell for years after the xbox 360 and ps3 launched and more importantly it sold a ton of software and accessories that helped sony absorb the cluster frig that was the ps3.

So it would be in MS's best interest to do so.

Whats more if the Durango is a DVR and based on some form of windows media center the new Xbox 360 design would make great streamers for it. Perhaps the redesign could also have hardware assisting a stream so that you could play some Durango games in another room from a 360

Thing with price drops is there's no reason to do them until sales start slowing down.

they have been slowing down. Also if next gen consoles come in at $300-$500 the $200 360 doesn't look to attractive anymore.

Eh... the PS4/720 will not be costing $300. $399 minimum. Besides, the market for the current 360/PS3 is completely different from those in 2005, they are extremely price conscious, otherwise they would have bought one in the 7 years these consoles have been in the market! They're never going to consider something for $400, and even the $300 for current consoles is too much, but $200 might be attractive for a model with a hard drive (the 4GB 360 does not count).

Or a non apu design. IBM is more versed than AMD when it comes to designing a heterogeneous system especially for a console.

Why? AMD are onto their third generation of heterogeneous systems now which they developed all by themselves. What has IBM ever designed in this space aside from Cell which was a co-development with Sony and Toshiba?

I wonder how critical the idea of an HDMI input could be? For casual gamers it may be appealing if they never have to pick up the remote to change channel to access content, especially if they improve the Kinect interface substantially at the same time. They can reduce the barriers to using the console by having it always available at a moments notice, it'd be quite interesting for instance if you're watching say the 6PM news and then without picking up the remote give your friend a call with Skype. In my setup I have a 7.1 Amplifier so if I put the Xbox inline with that then the Xbox will always be available, even if I was gaming on the PS4 or HTPC at that point in time. Could this be the killer feature?

I wonder how critical the idea of an HDMI input could be? For casual gamers it may be appealing if they never have to pick up the remote to change channel to access content, especially if they improve the Kinect interface substantially at the same time. They can reduce the barriers to using the console by having it always available at a moments notice, it'd be quite interesting for instance if you're watching say the 6PM news and then without picking up the remote give your friend a call with Skype. In my setup I have a 7.1 Amplifier so if I put the Xbox inline with that then the Xbox will always be available, even if I was gaming on the PS4 or HTPC at that point in time. Could this be the killer feature?

This is the kind of thing I'm expecting and yes, I'd say that would be a very killer feature. In fact it's things like that which I'm looking forward to more than the hardcore gaming aspects of the console.

What is the idea?

TVBOX --> Reciever --> 720 --> Display

Adding the 720 there would introduce some challenges with audio sync afaik unless there is a way to do double Lip Sync.

TVBOX --> 720 --> Reciever --> Display

Would be a cool feature since it could show the TV signal in PiP but i am not sure it would be a killer feature. What is you suggestion?

I would imagine a HDMI input would be a really fast video input if you needed to analyze a high quality video speed. It's Microsoft they may have thought up something completely new..

I'd say that would be a very killer feature.
...Why? Don't see the point really TBH. Are we now at such a point in degeneration of western culture that it's truly seen as a burden to merely pick up the remote control to switch TV input? Please. Tell me it isn't so.

For me personally I can't see a single thing that would be improved by daisychaining a theoretical xbox with HDMI input with something else. I can foresee a bunch of compatibility issues arising from such practices though, most of them involving that thrice-accursed, blasted HDCP, but HDMI itself has been known to cause issues as well between various pieces of equipment. Anything screwing with this fragile system is bound to upset it further.

...Why? Don't see the point really TBH. Are we now at such a point in degeneration of western culture that it's truly seen as a burden to merely pick up the remote control to switch TV input? Please. Tell me it isn't so.

For me personally I can't see a single thing that would be improved by daisychaining a theoretical xbox with HDMI input with something else. I can foresee a bunch of compatibility issues arising from such practices though, most of them involving that thrice-accursed, blasted HDCP, but HDMI itself has been known to cause issues as well between various pieces of equipment. Anything screwing with this fragile system is bound to upset it further.

I think you're really overblowing how fragile HDMI is these days. I honestly cant recall the last time i had an HDMI "issue" with a non-esoteric piece of gear. Also, i don't think having your HDMI input overlaying with a game or a skype call as lazy, its just way more elegant and slick. Yeah you could switch to another input but if live TV and twitter overlays are going and then you get a skype popup happening in the same interface, isnt that cool and advancing the way we interact with our TV?

I think the idea of an HDMI in on the Durango is in fact to pull live TV content into the consoles media interface, since live TV and live local sports are still the nut that the cord-cutters havent been able to crack. As time goes on and the internet becomes a more viable place for live TV broadcasts and local/national sporting events, all the consumer needs to do is disconnect the cable box from the back of the Durango. This seems like a much less resistive path to getting people using Durango as their eventual "do everything" box since you can immediately give them ALL of their programming on one input and one interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back