AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

I guess if you can stand gaming without AA, yes, it's fine. I personally cannot, so I'll be upgrading sometime in the nearish future.

most games i'm good with 2x fsaa . If a game releases and i need an upgrade I will certianly do it , just have no idea what that game is .

Are we looking at a release to coincide with Win8 release or are we looking at next year?

I don't think there's any information, or even any rumor yet. AMD has become very good at keeping confidential information, well, confidential.

Still, since there can be no process-induced delays this time, I guess we can expect something new some time between October and the end of the year.

Are we looking at a release to coincide with Win8 release or are we looking at next year?

AMD's own roadmaps show 2013.

Screen%20Shot%202012-02-01%20at%202.14.03%20PM_575px.png

Article with image here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5491/amds-2012-2013-client-cpugpuapu-roadmap-revealed

Because Southern Islands covers most of 2012 while Sea Islands covers most of 2013, but that doesn't mean the latter won't be released in 2012.

AMD's platform roadmaps are always like that, they showed Southern Islands as a 2012 thing when it really launched in late 2011, Northern Islands as a 2011 family when it really launched in late 2010, and so forth. These roadmaps just have very coarse granularity.

Because Southern Islands covers most of 2012 while Sea Islands covers most of 2013, but that doesn't mean the latter won't be released in 2012.

AMD's platform roadmaps are always like that, they showed Southern Islands as a 2012 thing when it really launched in late 2011, Northern Islands as a 2011 family when it really launched in late 2010, and so forth. These roadmaps just have very coarse granularity.

There were no Southern Islands products available to buy until January of this year. That is like saying Nvidia launched Fermi in '09 when they spilled all of their white paper info in November of that year. Paper launch's are great and all to build excitement and give a good view of an upcoming product, but if there is no product to buy, then there is no product.

There is no reason for them to delay so much HD 8000 series unless they want to squeeze every single last cent from the customers. If so, shame on them...

But, I think Alexko gets the right idea- 2013 is probably the year when the platform with SI would be current. And some cards should be released in 2012.

There is no reason for them to delay so much HD 8000 series unless they want to squeeze every single last cent from the customers. If so, shame on them...

But, I think Alexko gets the right idea- 2013 is probably the year when the platform with SI would be current. And some cards should be released in 2012.

Your use of the word delay implies there is a schedule for them to keep. What are they delaying from? DX11.1 hardware for Windows 8 is already in market.

Pre-Rory Read, AMD graphics seemed like they want to jump on new process nodes as fast as possible. Public statements from AMD C-level execs kinda indicate that's not the strategy they want to follow from here on out.

With 28nm bedding in and the next process tech not near the horizon, how do we get performance increases? Much larger dies? What new consumer features are required that would drive new silicon before a new process? All the feature wants I'm aware of are for compute and professional use, not current and imminent gaming titles.

Tweaking for performance/watt is about all that is left, will that be enough to justify a new series of cards?

There were no Southern Islands products available to buy until January of this year. That is like saying Nvidia launched Fermi in '09 when they spilled all of their white paper info in November of that year. Paper launch's are great and all to build excitement and give a good view of an upcoming product, but if there is no product to buy, then there is no product.

You're right, there was no SI available to buy until this year, but still NI was 2011 on the roadmaps, and it WAS available 2010, EG was 2010 on roadmaps and available 2009 etc

Your use of the word delay implies there is a schedule for them to keep. What are they delaying from? DX11.1 hardware for Windows 8 is already in market.

Of course, there is a schedule, plus customers' perception that it takes too much time for them to unleash something new.

Pre-Rory Read, AMD graphics seemed like they want to jump on new process nodes as fast as possible. Public statements from AMD C-level execs kinda indicate that's not the strategy they want to follow from here on out.

Wasn't that one of the main advantages against NV? :cry:

I'm fine with a Dec paper launch. I already have 670 so I'm waiting until the next shrink, I just wanna know what the new stuff will bring. lol.

There are a few reasons that make me think this year's launch could happen sooner than people assume:
— RV770 was released in the summer, on a well-known 55nm process;
— Cypress was released in September, if I recall correctly, on a brand new 40nm process that had some yield and supply issues;
— Cayman was released late in the year, because it was originally a 32nm design that was somewhat delayed when it had to be backported to 40nm (because TSMC canned their 32nm process) and in fact Barts was released earlier because it was always meant to be on 40nm (and VLIW5);
— Tahiti was announced in late December and available in January, again on a brand new 28nm process that probably induced some delays.

But this time, there's no new process, and Sea Islands is probably not a major architectural overhaul, not so soon after GCN. So the risk factors are quite small, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a launch in October.

From READ2CH (translated):

(translated) said:
AMD Radeon HD 8800 Series

Sea Islands OLAND

High power efficiency "
High cost performance "

AMD Radeon HD 8870 $ 279
Process 28nm
Transistors 3.4billion
Engine Clock / Boost Clock 1.05GHz / 1.1GHz
Primitive Rate 2prim/clk
Compute Performance (SP / DP) 3.94TFLOPS / 246.4GFLOPS
Texture Fillrate 123.20GT / s
Pixel Fillrate 35.20GP / s
Memory Bandwidth 192GB / s
Typical Board Power 160W

Comparable performance to GTX 680
- 30% faster than GTX 660 Ti 2.0GB

AMD Radeon HD 8850 $ 199
Process 28nm
Transistors 3.4billion
Engine Clock / Boost Clock 925MHz / 975MHz
Primitive Rate 2prim/clk
Compute Performance (SP / DP) 2.99TFLOPS / 187.2GFLOPS
Texture Fillrate 93.60GT / s
Pixel Fillrate 31.20GP / s
Memory Bandwidth 192GB / s
Typical Board Power 130W

Comparable performance to GTX 670
- 35% faster than 660 2.0GB GTX

Improved texture unit
die size 270-280mm2
AMD Wireless Display Technology
Jan, 2013
The specs would likely indicate 28 CUs / 1792 SPs for the 8870 and 24 CUs / 1536 SPs for the 8850, and 6 GHz memory for both parts.

Of course with the wrong codename... :LOL:

If you go deeper into the thread (more particularly- pages 12-13), youl'll see there are 3 versions of Oland, a mobile chip it should be. ;)

Of course with the wrong codename... :LOL:

If you go deeper into the thread (more particularly- pages 12-13), youl'll see there are 3 versions of Oland, a mobile chip it should be. ;)

You sure? Considering the names "Mars" "Venus" etc, I'd be willing to bet that Oland and other island names are the desktop parts, regardless of how many versions theres in the drivers of them at the moment (and there has been 3 models per chip sometimes, like 6790/6850/6870), while planets would be mobile

Back