Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Randy said last year it has more room for textures.

Yes, its stil very bad if the games are confirmed only running same resulutions as seven year old systems. Thats below low end PCs. Expecting around 400gflops tops

I was getting to the point where I was half expecting slightly sub-360 level, so I guess it depends where your expectations are.

A picture has emerged that Wii U will likely have a decent amount of RAM, guessing 1GB or even 1.5GB, but that is hampered by the OS supposedly taking an extreme amount (supposedly 512MB currently, subject to reduction of course).

Let's hope not.
The huge growth in the bezel will receive a much larger backlash than the nubs did...

Like that, it looks more like a $50 tablet from toys'r'us for 6 year-olds than something remotely appealing.

Yah really, seeing that monstrous thing is an instant turnoff as far as playing anything like an FPS on it.

Also, a "source" told me Wii U is a decent current gen system, more powerful than ps360, but is hampered by "bottlenecks" that prevent it from reaching full potential. Salt etc, but I've predicted as much about the bottlenecks.

Yah really, seeing that monstrous thing is an instant turnoff as far as playing anything like an FPS on it.

Also, a "source" told me Wii U is a decent current gen system, more powerful than ps360, but is hampered by "bottlenecks" that prevent it from reaching full potential. Salt etc, but I've predicted as much about the bottlenecks.

Wouldn't surprise me tbh ;-)

Seems like the controller redesign may be a cost saving measure.

It's a standard dual-analog pad with a standard amount of buttons, and a screen in the middle. What's the difference?

If you're already used to the inferior method of playing FPS games (dual-analog) you'll be right at home.

The beveled edges on the new version makes it look like shit, tbh. You don't see beveled edges on an iPad or any other classy device, because it just looks bad, and doesn't actually do anything for ergonomics anyway. In fact the bevels might actually make it harder to grip the device using just one hand.

Agree with the toy assessment, when one considers the tiny screen.

"A forum poster claiming to be a developer at Ubisoft Milan has spilt alleged details on the Wii U ahead of Nintendo's E3 blowout.
Wii U supports DirectX 11 and is already running Unreal Engine 4
Wii U will support to touch-screen controllers
The console has 2GB or RAM, 560MB dedicated to the OS
The launch date will be 23 November
Launch price hasn't been decided but will be between $350 - $450
Rayman Legends, The Avengers, Assassin's Creed 3, Just Dance 4 are all on Ubisoft's Wii U schedule, with Killer Freaks from Outer Space set to arrive weeks after launch.
There are currently multiple versions of the console with developers
Graphics are powered by the Radeon HD 6770 chipset
Assassin's Creed 3 will run at 60fps at 1080p, compared to 720p on PS3 and Xbox 360
Wii U will come with pre-installed software
Crytek, EA and Valve are all working on Wii U
Valve are working on a digital distribution platform and Portal ports
Wii U will support achievements
Wii U's UI will be customisable
The new button has some link to the Wii Vitality Sensor
The trigger buttons won't be analogue"

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/138834...te_details_leaked_by_ubisoft_dev_rumour.html?

Hard to belive on the UE4 and the price is to high, other than that I would love multi touch on the screen or some other surprise.

Anyway a 6770 base would be my personal prediction, cheap price and power consumption, yet enough DX11 level performance for extra eye candy over PS360 (enough for Crysis 2 DX11 patch at 720p 30FPS).

why would some guy at "ubisoft milan" know Nintendo's release schedule? Also isnt this the same set of rumors that claimed a 6ghz CPU or some nonsense (perhaps removed after public lambasting of infeasibility, showing the whole specs to be false?)

List looks a little too much, actually a lot too much like a fanboy's wish list. If it was true though would be awesome, almost a true mid-gen console (which I dont expect Wii U to be)

Well no, but then again I'm sure if you shot a shotgun, you'd eventually hit part of a barn. A bunch of those bullet points could have been educated guesses ( Crytek, EA, and Valve working on WiiU? ORLY). :p

The poster in the forum said he's just a 15-year-old and not a developer. He just wanted to get a prank in the forum but now he's regretted that it has hit such proportions worldwide.

Well no, but then again I'm sure if you shot a shotgun, you'd eventually hit part of a barn. A bunch of those bullet points could have been educated guesses ( Crytek, EA, and Valve working on WiiU? ORLY). :p

Valve and Crytek aren't, I bet. EA, probably barely. Nobody will bother, they will all move directly to Orbis/Durango.

The system is DOA. I'm not trolling I've stated my opinion throughout. Today we got another topic on GAF that Wii U is barely current gen...http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ics-at-least-as-good-as-ps3-xbox-360-versions

Last edited by a moderator:
Valve and Crytek aren't, I bet.

I thought Crytek UK had something in the works?

Anyways, the point there is that for a company trying to sell their middleware engine licenses, it would be foolish to ignore the new kid on the block. Epic, their main competitor, is adding support, so why would anyone even bother considering Crytek? They have to keep up or risk being left behind in competitiveness.

I don't see why Valve wouldn't try something now that there is a return of sorts to a more conventional control setup, which just happens to have a bonus touch screen in between. That is, unless Nintendo turns away game developers who don't make "appreciable" utilization of said screen and other functions, there'd be no reason to skip another potential market for sales of the same game. We don't know the TRCs. There may be the HW power angle, but now Nintendo has something that's actually not archaic (Valve basically ditched DX7, and they had their minimum requirements, then there was the unique control scheme) and should be more akin to PC/360 development. If they cared so much about HW power, they wouldn't have an engine with high scalability.

Nobody will bother, they will all move directly to Orbis/Durango.

The system is DOA. I'm not trolling I've stated my opinion throughout. Today we got another topic on GAF that Wii U is barely current gen...http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ics-at-least-as-good-as-ps3-xbox-360-versions

So basically, your argument is about graphics selling, for which there is already an old, old thread.
As you said, you've stated your opinion repeatedly, but continual derailment of the thread will not be tolerated just because you feel we somehow need reminders of your doom and gloom jumping to conclusions.

Back