Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Looks like casting the net wide but HD compatible this time, and offering comparable graphics by staggering their release with PS360. Realistically, they may just get ports from multi platform core games, and focus on their existing customer base (Wii + DS).

Bingo!

They're just hoping that they can prevent people from turning off the WiiU and turning on their PS360 when they want to play COD.

Unfortunately, most multi platform core games are multi-player games and both PSN and Live have been far better established. So it's unlikely that WiiU owners will purchase multi platform multi player games for that console anyway (assuming they also have a PS360, which is likely at this point).

But they may very well be able to "keep" some WiiU owners using their console for single player multi plats. Although, I can't think of the last extremely successful multi plat single player game. La Noire, but what before that?

Holy Sh!T

Since when did Beyond3d turned in to this. Taking the number "45" at the back of the doll as if it were power requirement?

That's just probably the doll unit number for tracking purposes. Technical knowledge for good discussion isn't mandatory but minimal common sense is.

Modedit : removed noisy followup
USB power is half that, 500mA for 5V.

I really thought it was 1A, as many devices won't charge below that current (I've got a couple of useless "universal" USB chargers with 500mA, whereas the PCs always charge them successfully).
But yeah, specs apparently say 500mA for USB 2.0, and 900mA for 3.0.

I'm just really confused by their strategy with the WiiU. Are they trying to bring back the core gamer, or trying to capture the casuals again with a new gimmick? Or are they trying to cast their net wide to get everyone on board?

The Nintendo presentation at E3 was a disaster. The messaging is all over the place. I get the feeling that the top execs and the PR people don't truly understand the solution that their engineers have come up with.

If they can get it to work and work well, motion control can revolutionize FPS games. Playing a shooter in a manner that more resemble the actual use of a gun is something that many a gamers have dreamt about. Using a mouse to aim a gun--or, goodness, thumbstick with autoaim--is decidedly softcore, if you think about it. When success requires steady arms--now that's hardcore.

wii-u-5.jpg

A 2010 Mac Mini has a MCP spec of 85W. It has a C2D P8600 with a max tdp of 25w and the Nvidia 320M has a tdp of 10-12w.

Its probably 40% smaller than the Wii-U and has a single slot for a vent in the back. Its no way with the size of the console and level of venting on the Wii-U thats it has a total 45W tdp.

Thats assuming the Wii-U external design has been finalized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since when did Beyond3d turned in to this. Taking the number "45" at the back of the doll as if it were power requirement?

That's just probably the doll unit number for tracking purposes. Technical knowledge for good discussion isn't mandatory but minimal common sense is.

I lol'ed at your post title.

But they may very well be able to "keep" some WiiU owners using their console for single player multi plats. Although, I can't think of the last extremely successful multi plat single player game. La Noire, but what before that?

I can see new console game genra for WiiU that are very compelling for families. Nintendo didn't show them this E3, but it is possible that they are already working on it.

I lol'ed at your post title.
Come on man! :) But was i out of line? The last couple of months in this place seems like some alternate reality.

We aren't going to much places with the spec discussion right now, not until Nintendo throw us another bone at least. But i think the writing is on the wall hardware wise, so knowing exactly what's in there wont make much difference ;)

I can see new console game genra for WiiU that are very compelling for families. Nintendo didn't show them this E3, but it is possible that they are already working on it.

I don't doubt that at all, in fact, I expect it to happen. I think there is the possibility for them to change the experience with the WiiU as much as they did with the Wii.

I just don't see how that will help third party sales or multi platform gaming sales.

Bingo!

Unfortunately, most multi platform core games are multi-player games and both PSN and Live have been far better established. So it's unlikely that WiiU owners will purchase multi platform multi player games for that console anyway (assuming they also have a PS360, which is likely at this point).

I recall something about a skull and a war with the russians in the last CoD:MW, it must be mp game modes...:rolleyes:

How could anyone like GTA without its mp, or HL2 and portal, or elder scrolls, or Batman or...

On a serious note, friends and/or a overall strong online profile may be a very strong reason to keep getting games on the same console

IIRC RSX isn't following the specs of any off the shelf 7800/7900-series, and even if it was for most of the part, the off the shelf parts definately don't have FlexIO ;)
But sure, RSX was quite close, just like XBox's NV2A was quite close.
Only one that comes to mind that could have been actually just that - off the shelf GPU - was Dreamcasts PVR2, but even from that I'm not 100% sure

I recall something about a skull and a war with the russians in the last CoD:MW, it must be mp game modes...:rolleyes:

How could anyone like GTA without its mp, or HL2 and portal, or elder scrolls, or Batman or...

On a serious note, friends and/or a overall strong online profile may be a very strong reason to keep getting games on the same console

most
- 11 dictionary results
most
   [mohst]
–adjective, superl. of much or many with more as compar.
1. in the greatest quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number: to win the most votes.
2. in the majority of instances: Most operations are successful.
3. greatest, as in size or extent: the most talent.

But I'm glad you could name a handful of games. You've demonstrated that there's a rate of nearly one a year for the span of this current generation.

Congratulations.

IIRC RSX isn't following the specs of any off the shelf 7800/7900-series, and even if it was for most of the part, the off the shelf parts definately don't have FlexIO ;)
I think the idea here is where any part may be shaped to fit a role, the underlying innards remain the same as the PC part. RSX is far more an off-the-shelf component than a custom GPU, and it's quite possible Wuu's GPU is in the same way an off-the-shelf component rather than a custom part.

I don't doubt that at all, in fact, I expect it to happen. I think there is the possibility for them to change the experience with the WiiU as much as they did with the Wii.

I just don't see how that will help third party sales or multi platform gaming sales.

Big third parties will be their usual selves. But Activision seems pretty gung-ho in taking chances with new gaming experiences. As I understand, they have voiced their support for WiiU.

Big multi-platform games ? Depends. Move is starting to go there (Remember Bioshock and the NBA game this E3 ?)

What would warm my heart are the little guys. I think they are more nimble. e.g., We noticed Zindagi Games only after they did Sports Champions.

And then there are third party games "sidelined" by the platform holders (e.g., racing games vs GT5 vs Forza). They may find some breathing space on WiiU if they are optimized for its experience. Mario Kart is formidable but not exactly adult themed.

EDIT: I agree -- as with all ventures -- there are risks supporting WiiU.

most
- 11 dictionary results
most

oops (sorry no native english speaker)

But I'm glad you could name a handful of games. You've demonstrated that there's a rate of nearly one a year for the span of this current generation.

Congratulations.

Sure have fun, I will not have it for you!

http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?...e=all&date_filter=12&sortdir=asc&official=all

http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?...=all&date_filter=all&sortdir=asc&official=all

Although it doesnt look to much mp intensive...

If they can get it to work and work well, motion control can revolutionize FPS games. Playing a shooter in a manner that more resemble the actual use of a gun is something that many a gamers have dreamt about.

Pop Quiz Time:

Of the known devices out there, which one has the better chance of getting it to work and work well so it more resembles the actual use of a gun?

A) WuCon
B) WiiMote
C) PS3 Move
D) Kinect

Can I go with none of the above?

People talk about realism a lot, but when it comes down to it, they don't actually want too much of it. They want intuitive, easy and precision in varying degrees.

When you're actually standing 10 feet away from a 55" flat rectangle that's trying to show a 3 dimensional representation of the space around you, I don't know that what you're holding in your hand is the biggest detriment to immersion. If people wanted actual realism in shooters paintball would be a hell of a lot more popular.

A) WuCon
B) WiiMote
C) PS3 Move
D) Kinect
Of these move and wiimote are decent at aiming at the screen, all four suck horribly for turning the view around, wiimote and move a little less than others. For moving around move is pretty much limited to on-rail stuff, others can use their sticks.

Of these move and wiimote are decent at aiming at the screen, all four suck horribly for turning the view around, wiimote and move a little less than others. For moving around move is pretty much limited to on-rail stuff, others can use their sticks.

But the WuCon has two analogue sticks...

Back