Forza 4

It's crazy how much they accomplish in ~2 years time. I haven't always agreed with everything in regards to Turn 10 in the past, but I like how they try to put their own spin on the genre while also trying to cater to their fan's wishes.

Also found it interesting how they collaborated with other studios like Epic when working on the tech.

don't know if this was posted yet but here are the key features (additions)

- Release dates : 10/11/11 (US), 10/14/11 (EU), 10/20/11 (Rest of the world)
- 500+ Cars
- 80+ Manufacturers
- 16 cars on track
- Monthly DLC : Option to buy cars either in packs or individually in the new in-game marketplace
- Changeable Homespace (aka FM3's career screensaver) and ability to take photo in it
- Active Aero
- Alternate time of day for tracks : Championship race at Suzuka (for example) has one heat starting at noon and, after a small loading , the next one transition to dusk
- Choice of gift cars at new player levels : DLC cars will be integrated into career gift selections
- Badges and titles earned by doing stuff in the game
- Community Car Clubs includes at least car sharing (the shared car can still be used by the one sharing)
- “Reasonably Priced Car” (aka Kia cee’d) is in

- Steering assist can be fully turned off
- Reset assist (only with air driving ?)
- Auto-acceleration assist (only with air driving ?)

- Image-Based Lighting
- No hybrid model for tire simulation anymore, they got all the data they wanted only from Pirelli
- Exchange with Epic about technical stuff
- Licensed distortion effect that should make the sound much better in Forza 4

- Kinect Headtracking
- Kinect Voice : Used to "hyperlink" and move through interface and menus more quickly.
- Kinect air driving (works while players seat)

- World Tour Career Mode : Advance to various venues, each with their own events (race, autocross, drift, track days, time trial events, Top Gear-inspired stunts such as car soccer and cone challenges, etc).
- Autovista mode : can be used with a classic controller, no Kinect required; A selection of cars are highly detailed and can be fully explored (interior, boot, etc…)

- Public lobbies
- Hoppers
- Rivals Mode : Asynchronous play with leaderboards (think "FM Autolog"); bounty rewards for beating rivals. Extends to Career mode as well.
- Two player split screen

How much is the Fanatec Forza wheel?
I would love to buy this, but buying a 360, Forza 4 and a decent wheel that's compatible with the 360 would probably be a lot. :cry:

How much is the Fanatec Forza wheel?
I would love to buy this, but buying a 360, Forza 4 and a decent wheel that's compatible with the 360 would probably be a lot. :cry:

There's two. The 2 base wheels can be mixed and matched with various accessories. They gave a range of prices between $300 to $700 depending on which wheel and accessories you choose. Both wheels are PS3 and PC-compatible, as well.

Looking at a minimum of $560. :/ That's a lot for one game, though if you break it down as separate purchases (you're getting a good wheel that can be used with 360 and PS3, a 360 that has a broad back-catalog of exclusives that you would now have access to and what looks like it will be a top-tier racing game) maybe it wouldn't seem as bad?

I'm entertaining the idea of getting a Fanatec since I can and would use it on all 3 platforms and then I could pick up GT5 and Dirt 3 on PS3 and PC respectively.

That is a lot for me to play Forza. It's even harder to justify when GT5 is still a great game as well.

I'll just wait until my DFGT breaks and buy a Fanatec wheel that's compatible with both PS3 and 360.

I think this is the point where Gran Turismo can start to feel genuinely threatened. Especially doing the Top Gear 'licence' right is a big coup. Each game certainly still has its own strength, but this is the first time I'm feeling the balance is tipping towards Forza.

I think this is the point where Gran Turismo can start to feel genuinely threatened. Especially doing the Top Gear 'licence' right is a big coup. Each game certainly still has its own strength, but this is the first time I'm feeling the balance is tipping towards Forza.

The bi-annual release schedule seems to be agreeing with them. If F3's pre-release promotion is any indication there are many more feature reveals to come, too.

Hmm,....so no Night time racing, real time weather conditions, real time daylight change and no rallying

Perhaps they will surprise us

Looks like the trackside detail is improved - the buildings look much better than they did in 3.

Lighting on the cars is also vastly improved - though still not as realistic as GT5

Hmm,....so no Night time racing, real time weather conditions, real time daylight change and no rallying

that's my holy trinity going forward
fingersx.gif

I made that video. All driving aids were turned off and the car was completely stock. This active steering aid, which you cannot turn off, happens with every car with any wheel, most importantly the Fanatec wheels in 900 degree mode which is what is suppose to allow us complete linearity in the steering, just as we would experience in a real car as well as in the much more accurate PC sims. With all aids off the game continues to steer for you and there is no way around it.

It kills the 'simulation' and babies you around the track.

Hopefully Forza 4 wont have this issue but this problem has been known since Forza 3 and they never bothered to fix it.

I personally never did agree with your interpretation of your video, I did some testing myself, as it never felt like I was being overly nannied in the way people were describing.

I did an appraisal over on GTPlanet,
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4238725#post4238725

It certainly doesn't look like anything remotely as sinister as you have made out from what I tested, not that it stopped a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon (not your fault, and you may be right, I may be the one misinterpreting).

Anyway, T10 now have an explicit 'simulation steering' setting that has no speed sensitivity, which I believe was unwelcome, and I assume no glitchy behaviour, so in a way I think you had an effect on FM4!!

As for FM4, it looks a nice evolution in graphics, and it's clearly building heavily on what was already an exceedingly well rounded and polished game. I'm intrigued if the new Tyre physics play out as well as advertised, although to be fair, I don't actually want it to get as unforgiving and complicated as PC Sims (I play quite a few, but the physics are so detailed in games like iRacing that you have to be on the ball all the time), I love the console 'sim--esque' games like FM and GT, they allow you be a driving god, whilst having just enough sim to make it challenging and rewarding, and that is a welcome break for myself..

Last edited by a moderator:

Real-time daylight change would require dynamic lighting, which it's more resource intensive than using pre-baked lightmaps.

Looks pretty good.

Edit:

Anyone notice the lack of crowds in Forza 4? Hopefully they add them in or it'll seem like you're racing in a ghost town.

that's my holy trinity going forward
fingersx.gif

So you basically want Forza 4 to be GT5? :p

Anyone notice the lack of crowds in Forza 4? Hopefully they add them in or it'll seem like you're racing in a ghost town.

Depends, if they look like the cardboard cutouts in GT5 then I'd prefer they leave them out. Likewise if it means having a GT5 <60fps frame rate I'd also prefer they leave them out. I liked that Forza 3 had a real 60fps frame rate unlike so many console games that claim 60fps yet aren't, so I hope they keep true 60fps a top priority in Forza 4. Seemed to be that way at e3 at least, the game ran buttery smooth.

Depends, if they look like the cardboard cutouts in GT5 then I'd prefer they leave them out. Likewise if it means having a GT5 <60fps frame rate I'd also prefer they leave them out. I liked that Forza 3 had a real 60fps frame rate unlike so many console games that claim 60fps yet aren't, so I hope they keep true 60fps a top priority in Forza 4. Seemed to be that way at e3 at least, the game ran buttery smooth.

Agreed. I tend to concentrate so hard when racing that I forget to blink even...So when there is tearing or frame rate fluctuations, it's really noticeable. Crowds are cool on street circuits but I don't really care of the grandstands or empty or full, esp if it comes at the expense of performance.

Anyways, I'll get the limited Edition if Spa is included in this game. I made no DLC purchases for Forza 3 due to lack of Spa. That trend will carry over to Forza and GT series until they get it together.

Back