The technology of Alan Wake *spawn

Possibly the HUD.

Correct me if I'm wrong but games like MW2 & Halo 3 for example don't have also 720p HUD? for example in MW2 isn't the signal that goes into the 360 GPU scaler 600p and then gets upscaled at whatever resolution you have set? the difference with AW is that the signal that goes to the GPU scaler is 720p.

Sorry if this has been mentioned - or I'm missing something - but with all this talk of 'I'd rather have 720p with 0aa' - wasn't the whole point of the X360 hardware architecture that games would get 2xaa for 'free'?

Again, this issue is also quite more complicated then that.

What if the game isn't running in FP10, but FP16 or some other format for HDR rendering? Or at 60fps? Or it uses deferred shading / lighting?

Some of the modern rendering technologies used in today's games weren't even invented when MS designed the X360, their engineers had completely different concepts in mind. We're actually pretty close to the originally intended end of the console's life cycle, had the PS3 been a stronger competitor I'm sure we would've seen a new Xbox emerge for this holiday season - so the hardware is now getting pushed past its perceived limit, and this will only continue.

If games today wouldn't be expected to use dozens of lights with HDR, perfect shadows, SSAO, sharp textures, all kinds of post processing and so on, then I'm sure we'd see a lot of them with 2x-4xAA. But there's only so much you can do with the system and it seems the audience doesn't care about AA on the X360 that much, so it's a lower priority.

What if the game isn't running in FP10, but FP16 or some other format for HDR rendering? Or at 60fps? Or it uses deferred shading / lighting?
Yes it does uses a deferred renderer, and as we all know it automatically demands more memory. And I guess they may be using FP16, the A2C transparency somewhat hints toward this since hardware alpha blend is not supported by Xenos when doing FP16....am I doing it right ? :rolleyes:

Some of the modern rendering technologies used in today's games weren't even invented when MS designed the X360, their engineers had completely different concepts in mind. We're actually pretty close to the originally intended end of the console's life cycle, had the PS3 been a stronger competitor I'm sure we would've seen a new Xbox emerge for this holiday season - so the hardware is now getting pushed past its perceived limit, and this will only continue.

If games today wouldn't be expected to use dozens of lights with HDR, perfect shadows, SSAO, sharp textures, all kinds of post processing and so on, then I'm sure we'd see a lot of them with 2x-4xAA. But there's only so much you can do with the system and it seems the audience doesn't care about AA on the X360 that much, so it's a lower priority.
Indeed Ms is fully aware of that and sometime ago gave on at enforcing 720p on developers. That was actually a good move imho as resolution doesn't say the whole story about IQ. And from the average gamer POV it's even less relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Between 720p/no AA & 540p/4*AA ? Its a trade off seriously....you get to choose between:

1) crisp image with uniform amount of jaggies everywhere on screen.

2) Blurred image with less jaggies overall...but horrible jagged edges in some areas that have lots of thin objects.

In most cases I'll go with option 1 cause subHD doesn't mixes well with big TV sets.
I would never say that I think that 720p is worse than 540p, quite the opposite, it isn't even slightly debatable, but 720p no AA in comparison with 540p + AAx4 isn't that great.

I see it as an interwoven choice made by the developers knowing that it was the best image quality taking into account all the features they wanted to add to the game, attempting to preserve and accomplish their IQ goals.

Rendering at 960x540p + AAx4 means that the game is actually rendered at 3840x2160.

Does it mean that it's rendered at UltraHD? Perhaps it isn't, but it's certainly 2-3 times better than 1280x720p no AA.

I would never say that I think that 720p is worse than 540p, quite the opposite, it isn't even slightly debatable, but 720p no AA in comparison with 540p + AAx4 isn't that great.

I see it as an interwoven choice made by the developers knowing that it was the best image quality taking into account all the features they wanted to add to the game, attempting to preserve and accomplish their IQ goals.

Rendering at 960x540p + AAx4 means that the game is actually rendered at 3840x2160.

Does it mean that it's rendered at UltraHD? Perhaps it isn't, but it's certainly 2-3 times better than 1280x720p no AA.
That's quiet a bit of a stretch ;)

That's quiet a bit of a stretch ;)
Err no. This isn't SSAA.
Sorry if I didn't explain what I was trying to say very well, in my opinion it's just that it is difficult to do. I think numbers might explain the features of the game better than I, and I was saying 2160p for borders goes far beyond that (720p no AA).

Two images recently published show the game running at 720p (?). Either way the game looks fine, a bit less blurry in these pics though:

288tdhh.jpg

alan.jpg

if those pics aren't bullshots or cutscenes, then that's 720p. are you sure those are recent pictures? This game is full of mystery o.o

Sorry if I didn't explain what I was trying to say very well, in my opinion it's just that it is difficult to do. I think numbers might explain the features of the game better than I, and I was saying 2160p for borders goes far beyond that (720p no AA).

Two images recently published show the game running at 720p (?). Either way the game looks fine, a bit less blurry in these pics though

The second picture is an old picture with the HUD tacked on but the first picture looks like it's from the same source as this one that was counted as 540p - also the IQ looks almost the same...:???:

The AA looks beyond 4xMSAA. I believe these are promotional shots.

The first one is not. What I find odd is that some pixelcounters have counted the pixels and said it's 640p, Quaz and other counted 540p and another user above has counted 720p :S

dfnbsfd.jpg

Also, supposedly this might be a direct feed screenshot from the IGN Insider trailer of Alan Wake: Building the Thriller, the most recent trailer for Alan Wake (after it's gone gold).

Due to the amount of motionblurr it's impossible to pixelcount, unless we have some veterans here :p

15dqq83.jpg

Back