How will NVidia counter the release of HD5xxx?

What will NVidia do to counter the release of HD5xxx-series?

• GT300 Performance Preview Articles

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • New card based on the previous architecture

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • New and Faster Drivers

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Something PhysX related

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Powerpoint slides

Votes: 61 41.5%
  • They'll just sit back and watch

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even get how youguys read what hoom said in the articles. I only looked at the first one, but it did not in anyway suggest ATI will wish they had done it differently.

It seemed to say: "They spend a lot of effort keeping things secret, but it doesn't matter b/c they can't change things at this point anyway"

Of course it actually said:
You cannot change a GPU a year before release ...
The development of a GPU takes three to four years and despite the fact that Nvidia and ATI use so much secrecy, even if ATI learns about Nvidia's 2010 GPU, they won't be able to change their own 2010 chip, at least not without some massive delays.

That actually doesn't suggest ATI will wish they had done it differently. It suggests that learning what your rival is doing at some finite time before release will not change your chip unless you want to have "massive delays"

So who's having the massive delays here?
I think you can read well enough to figure out what the article says. If you wish to answer your own question and go about doing some sort of dance that is fine by me. I was simply commenting on what appeared to be poor reading comprehension in relation to one article.

I think you can read well enough to figure out what the article says. If you wish to answer your own question and go about doing some sort of dance that is fine by me. I was simply commenting on what appeared to be poor reading comprehension in relation to one article.

It wasn't directed at you, the bias in the article seems to be exactly opposite from what is actually happening now. Why change a design that was never planned to go head-to-head with this "2010" card?

Personally I don't think that article is saying anything deep and meaningful at all. The first bit is statement of the bleedin' obvious, and the second bit is another statement of the bleedin' obvious. Standard Fudo Fodder - content free.

I don't even get how youguys read what hoom said in the articles. I only looked at the first one, but it did not in anyway suggest ATI will wish they had done it differently.
Gotta admit, it's curious timing for stating the obvious.

As far as I can tell he talked to some guy at ATI about chips. The guy said they get finalized quite some time before they come out. He then says wow, whats this secrecy for they can't copy anyway? Doesn't seem that curious except for him talking to a guy at ATI if you think he should not do that.

I guess he (fudo) did not think about how marketing and so forth could benefit from the knowledge, and I imagine the power envelope could be tweaked. And neliz I don't think the gt300 is delayed so that nvidia can copy ATI either. Delays happen even without deciding to scrap plans for a chip and make a new one copying the competitor :).

As far as I know they do buy the chips form each other after release and delve into them though.

biglol.gif

That was a three pointer Dav, nice one. :)

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...on-the-same-day-as-atis-evergreen-launch.aspx
nVidia schedules an event on the same day as ATI's Evergreen launch?

Wow, it just sounds like Nvidia is just assuming everyone is a bloody idiot...

When we asked nVidia about the event, the answer was that this has nothing to do with ATI's launch...

Uhhh...yeah... And that definitely explains why they purposely scheduled on the 10th even though they along with the rest of the tech world has known about the Sept. 10th event for ATI for quite a few weeks now. :rolleyes:

Regards,
SB

There is no September 10th Editors Day. That article is wrong. Whatever they heard has either been misunderstood or fabricated.

*Edit* I was naughty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tweaktown also reports it:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/13100/nvidia_to_show_off_its_own_dx11_hardware_on_september_10th/
So what do you do if you are nVidia and have not yet demoed your own DX11 hardware? Well you schedule an event on the same date and hint that you might show your own DX11 hardware. At least that is the rumor right now. This, if true, will nicely split the press. After all do you want to cover the launch of something that has already been in the news or something entirely new?

So, no "editors" day, just a small event with a hint of DX11.

Haha it's funny how people selectively believe BSN articles....one minute the guy is a clueless moron but now his word is gold :)

This doesn't take much common sense. If this rumor was "True" Nvidia would have to schedule/arrange flights/transportations for a number of press. Not only would such "Short" notice on flight scheduling/hotel reservations increase cost. It wouldn't make sense. Events take about a month to schedule in advance. And require hotel reservations, Flight tickets,lodging, In town transportation arrangements which are typically handled by another company. They also require setting up presentations, arranging for speakers, Invitation of developers to come speak at these things. Prepare special dinners for the press to eat on different nights, Including round tables with the press. All in less than two weeks..? Also extremely short notice invitations dont get you alot of people willing to come because alot of people have secondary jobs where they have to make accomodations to go. IE it will piss the very people off they are trying to get.

Like I said. Someone thinks they probably heard something. The information is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back