PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

Might want to hang on. The updated PS3 can't login to PSN now. Still trying to figure out what's going on.

Not sure if it is related but the US blog has only this to say right now:

Be Right Back…

We're making a few quick changes and the site will be back online in just a few moments.

If you were submitting a comment, please just press your browser's "Back" button, and try again in a little bit (this way, your comment is not lost).

Perhaps they are having to switch something around on the backend at the same time?

Cheers

I freaked out because I logged into PSN successfully at first, but my friends list had disappeared. I logged out to log back in to see if my friends would reappear, but then I couldn't sign in at all.

Oooh, I logged in. Shame they started charging for themes. That was one thing I liked about the PS3 versus 360. Also, am I wrong or is there a huge number of breast based themes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can login to PSN from inside the games. Login from XMB doesn't work. Internet Connection Test now shows your local bandwidth, but unfortunately it too failed at the PSN part.

The nagware line on the top right is going to get *extremely* annoying. Unlike the "what's new" option (which also does not seem behave as advertised) the new mini-nagware line is locked at being on. One would have thought that shoving the store icon every which place would have been enough up sell but no. . .

=(

The friends list now looks awful with the extra background and no spacing between rows. Finally, for those of us in Canada we now have a dedicated icon for a store which when click tells us the store is unavailable in our region. Uh, thanks for rubbing it in Sony. Really, you couldn't just leave the icon off?

The only new "feature" (aka bug fix) I see is that you can see the clock and battery indicator at the same time except that is marred by the nagware aspect (and the scrolling mechanism stutters making it harder on the eyes).

Cheers

The nagware thing is not enabled on my PS3. If you didn't have the ticker enabled, then that setting turns it off for 3.0 as well. At least, if that's what you mean, or do you mean the 'What's New' overview?
The new sound output is great. A regular stereo mp3 is now output by the PS3 to my amp in 176Hz 5.1 LPCM. By far my biggest disappointment with 3.0 so far however is that I can no longer listen to music while browsing. Really, really stupid, and I hope they bring that back soon.

Are you sure it's because of the 3.0 firmware that you can't listen to music while browsing?
I think, if you have enabled the 176.4 kHz frequency upsampling of CD audio in the settings, it disabled simultaneous music and browsing already in previous firmwares.

Yay, I can login from XMB now. Bought the LBP theme.

The nagware line on the top right is going to get *extremely* annoying. Unlike the "what's new" option (which also does not seem behave as advertised) the new mini-nagware line is locked at being on. One would have thought that shoving the store icon every which place would have been enough up sell but no. . .

Arwin, how did you turn the ticker off ? I tried the "What's New" and "Notification Messages" settings but they didn't disable it. I like the What's New section. It would be nicer if the images display instantly. Otherwise, it can be a drag to use. Fortunately, the images are cached :cool:

The friends list now looks awful with the extra background and no spacing between rows. Finally, for those of us in Canada we now have a dedicated icon for a store which when click tells us the store is unavailable in our region. Uh, thanks for rubbing it in Sony. Really, you couldn't just leave the icon off?

I prefer the old friends list icons too.

The only new "feature" (aka bug fix) I see is that you can see the clock and battery indicator at the same time except that is marred by the nagware aspect (and the scrolling mechanism stutters making it harder on the eyes).

There are more new feature than the overlapped clock icon fix. Besides Internet Connection Test improvement, and the multi-audio output Arwin mentioned, I like
* More avatar selection
* Shortened game launching

The nagware thing is not enabled on my PS3. If you didn't have the ticker enabled, then that setting turns it off for 3.0 as well. At least, if that's what you mean, or do you mean the 'What's New' overview?
The new sound output is great. A regular stereo mp3 is now output by the PS3 to my amp in 176Hz 5.1 LPCM. By far my biggest disappointment with 3.0 so far however is that I can no longer listen to music while browsing. Really, really stupid, and I hope they bring that back soon.

They didn't break it. I can listen to music and web browse at the same time.

You have to go to the Music Settings and change back to 48kHz (only) option. That allows for web browsing and music listening.

Is the PSU really multi-voltage? There's no indication on the rear of my Slim and more than that, the manual says it's 220-240v on my PAL unit...

Long time since I got my original PS3, but how was the HDD usage again?
The slim comes with a 120GB drive and then the PS3 tells me that 97 out of 111GB is free, what does the PS3 use the rest for? I am about to pop in a 500GB now, but curious about the "missing" space :D

It reserves a chunk of about 10% IIRC. I have a 40 GB and I don't use 20 GBs. I have a few GBs of photos and the rest is download games. It's frightening seeing that HDD space missing a huge chunk off the bat but fitting content doesn't seem a problem. Note I delete demos and nonsense. I keep a very clean PS3!

Is the PSU really multi-voltage? There's no indication on the rear of my Slim and more than that, the manual says it's 220-240v on my PAL unit...

Not sure. I was wrong about the Bitstream option by the way, it is in fact also available on my old EU launch unit. So that's neat.

Not sure. I was wrong about the Bitstream option by the way, it is in fact also available on my old EU launch unit. So that's neat.

All PS3s have been able to bit-stream DTS and DD, the question is whether the high def codecs (DTS-MA, DD-TruHD) can be.

Correct, I don't have an amplifier or indeed an applicable BD to test though!

What I will say is that there is compelling evidence that the seek time on the Slim's BD drive is superior to that in the launch model.

There should be something stamped on the plastic of the unit, near the power plug. Check on the underside.

Info in the manuals can sometimes be more conservative than it needs to be. E.g. it was in the case of the PS3 phat.

Back