PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

All PS3s have been able to bit-stream DTS and DD, the question is whether the high def codecs (DTS-MA, DD-TruHD) can be.

Ah, I see! Hmm, then I think not, because I think the DD-TruHD I tested gave me only a Dolby Digital signal (Spiderman 3). Same for the DTS-MA track (3:10 to Yuma).

Ah, I see! Hmm, then I think not, because I think the DD-TruHD I tested gave me only a Dolby Digital signal (Spiderman 3). Same for the DTS-MA track (3:10 to Yuma).

Right. The slim can bit stream those codecs as well, since it has a more up-to-date HDMI transceiver chip.

If your receiver can handle 7.1 LPCM, there's little benefit to bit streaming, though. Your PS3 will use the SPUs to decode all of the high def codecs on its own just fine. If you have your receiver do the decode, you might save some SPU cycles on the PS3, but the slim is energy efficient enough for that not to be such an issue anymore.

Also, if you bit stream, BD-Java on the disc might have difficulty mixing in player-generated audio effects into the movie audio. When the PS3 sends LPCM to the receiver, it's easy for sound effects from the disc's interactivity to be properly layered in.

Now, when the PS3 first came out, Sony hadn't implemented some of the codecs (DTS-MA) in the firmware, and at that time, those codecs simply weren't available on the PS3, and bit streaming for those codecs would have been a significant benefit.

These days, not so much.

Shame they started charging for themes. That was one thing I liked about the PS3 versus 360.

There have been paid theme for a long time, but many free ones too. Plus there are tons of free ones made by gamers on websites which you can browse and DL from in the PS3 browser.

BTW the animated Afrika theme is free on the Japan store.

They had premium themes on the NA store since launch. There have not been premium themes on the EU store IIRC.

Correct, I don't have an amplifier or indeed an applicable BD to test though!

Ok, so I have the right amp (basically supports everything) and BD discs (both DTS-HD MA and Dolby Digital TrueHD) to test that with Firmware 3.0 the old PS3 models still can't bitstream these two formats.

I've also established that I have the right combination of speakers and ears to actually hear the difference. Didn't think I could. ;)

What I will say is that there is compelling evidence that the seek time on the Slim's BD drive is superior to that in the launch model.

Interesting, thanks.

It reserves a chunk of about 10% IIRC. I have a 40 GB and I don't use 20 GBs. I have a few GBs of photos and the rest is download games. It's frightening seeing that HDD space missing a huge chunk off the bat but fitting content doesn't seem a problem. Note I delete demos and nonsense. I keep a very clean PS3!

Just to make sure... you're both referring to the 14GB of stuff (97/111) rather than the difference between 120 marketing GB and 111GiB, right?

Right. The slim can bit stream those codecs as well, since it has a more up-to-date HDMI transceiver chip.

If your receiver can handle 7.1 LPCM, there's little benefit to bit streaming, though. Your PS3 will use the SPUs to decode all of the high def codecs on its own just fine. If you have your receiver do the decode, you might save some SPU cycles on the PS3, but the slim is energy efficient enough for that not to be such an issue anymore.

Also, if you bit stream, BD-Java on the disc might have difficulty mixing in player-generated audio effects into the movie audio. When the PS3 sends LPCM to the receiver, it's easy for sound effects from the disc's interactivity to be properly layered in.

Now, when the PS3 first came out, Sony hadn't implemented some of the codecs (DTS-MA) in the firmware, and at that time, those codecs simply weren't available on the PS3, and bit streaming for those codecs would have been a significant benefit.

These days, not so much.
There are real benefits. Most audio receivers can't apply DSP effects to LPCM but can to bitstreamed audio. My receiver has special processing modes to apply to TrueHD and Master-HD, which it can't do when received as LPCM streams from the PS3.

It's a nice option for higher-end audio enthusiasts.

Yes, I'm thinking that PS3, 360 and probably Wii don't have sleep mode in their CPUs and GPUs, these sleep mode arrived after their conception.
But the fact that PS3 Slim uses less power on blu-ray MPEG2 than idle surprise me…
You have 10 watts gain for the Slim and 8 watts for the old… not enough for a RSX sleep, may be some CELL part idle? Don't think Cell can idle some part, may be I'm wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
PSN started charging for some themes long time ago, or do you mean they will stop free themes?

There are free ones, but all the pretty animated ones are paid themes. I fully expected it to be that way, but I've never paid for a theme on Live or PSN and never will.

Yes, I'm thinking that PS3, 360 and probably Wii don't have sleep mode in their CPUs and GPUs, these sleep mode arrived after their conception.
But the fact that PS3 Slim uses less power on blu-ray MPEG2 than idle surprise me…
You have 10 watts gain for the Slim and 8 watts for the old… not enough for a RSX sleep, may be some CELL part idle? Don't think Cell can idle some part, may be I'm wrong?

PS3 has wake-on-lan support, though I haven't seen any power measurements for that.

There are free ones, but all the pretty animated ones are paid themes. I fully expected it to be that way, but I've never paid for a theme on Live or PSN and never will.

Current animated themes use the regular sdk, so there won't be as many free ones. The static themes can even be unsigned and installed thus.
To be honest, I don't see any reason to care about animated themes that much, free or not, especially without some open scripting support.

Currently I know of exactly two animated themes, one free (Afrika on JPN store) and one paid (LBP on US store). Do you know anything more?

Don't you think it's likely that there will be more free themes purely for promotional purposes, as well as themes you get for free along with maybe a particular game you buy?

Hopefully there will be free themes if you own the game.

This is something they can easily check and will add value to some.

Currently I know of exactly two animated themes, one free (Afrika on JPN store) and one paid (LBP on US store). Do you know anything more?

Don't you think it's likely that there will be more free themes purely for promotional purposes, as well as themes you get for free along with maybe a particular game you buy?

Oh, I was under the impression the premium themes were animated themes. What's the difference between the premium themes and the non premiums?

I don't think there will be many free animated themes. They may bundle them with collectors editions of games, but then they're hardly free as you pay more for the collectors edition.

There are no themes that require payment in the UK store for some reason.

Fair enough if theres an animated theme of Lolo Ferrari getting DPed I might buy it, but other than that it's not worth it. It's not like you sit there for hours in wonderment of the theme.

Back