PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

That is awesome and now makes it a must buy for me.:cool:

The slim looks great.:smile:

Just got mine from best buy, it actually looks better in person than in pictures. I definitely prefer the buttons to the old touch panel as well. I can just turn the darned thing off now with a single click instead of sitting there holding the panel. The cleaners won't accidentally turn it on anymore either, so no more coming home and wondering why is the PS3 on. The buttons light up as well which looks nice.

As a side note, I was also pleasantly surprised to see that Shaun Of The Dead blu-ray was out also, snagged that too :)

Then go ahead and tell me how much smaller the new board is in terms of square centimeters and I'l tell you why nobody should be impressed.;)

Size isn't everything, it could also have less layers which would be a big win or less routing complexity which could mean better noise immunity so looser tolerances on the components required.

Cheers

The PCB size reduction seems like a side-conversation compared to the actual core areas of cost-reduction: cooling, PSU, and BD drive. And perhaps the packaging itself to an extent via its effects on the logistics behind shipments and freight.

On a different note, any rumors out there as to whether PS2 emulation is still a project in the works?

How does the Slim's box compare to the 360's? The 360 seemed to have a small box for a console, while the PS3 box always seemed big (I've had to move them around a few times).

Edit: Carl, yes. Plenty of rumors. The latest I think is the rumor of a 'God of War Trilogy' on BRD with the first 2 games (yes, I know). Whether this means a port to PS3 or achieving emulation for a few popular titles, no one knows. I don't even remember if the poll reported a while back asking whether people'd like GoW1&2 on BRD was legit or not.

How does the Slim's box compare to the 360's? The 360 seemed to have a small box for a console, while the PS3 box always seemed big (I've had to move them around a few times).

The slim's box is still somewhat bigger than my 360 elites box on the width and height, bit its smaller on the depth, depth being the smallest dimension of the three in this case.

The cleaners? Livin' the good life, I see.

Nah, some services are just really cheap in LA.

Just tried some watt measurements at lunch on my PS3 slim out of curiosity mostly, I was wondering if the codec made a difference in measurements during movie playback. Looks like it does, some numbers for the curious:

Idle at XMB: 87

MPEG2
Commando: 83
Payback: 85
The Transporter: 87
Into The Blue: 87

VC-1
Miami Vice: 90
Risky Business: 90
Shoot 'Em Up: 89
300: 89

AVC
Die Hard: 88
Ghost Busters: 90
Quantum Of Solace: 90
Wall Street: 90

Size isn't everything, it could also have less layers which would be a big win or less routing complexity which could mean better noise immunity so looser tolerances on the components required.

Cheers

Of course size isn't everything, but the pictures show size it doesn't show how many layers. I prefer facts over nebulous speculation.

Just tried some watt measurements at lunch on my PS3 slim out of curiosity mostly, I was wondering if the codec made a difference in measurements during movie playback. Looks like it does, some numbers for the curious:

Idle at XMB: 87

MPEG2
Commando: 83
Payback: 85
The Transporter: 87
Into The Blue: 87

VC-1
Miami Vice: 90
Shoot 'Em Up: 89
300: 89

AVC
Die Hard: 88
Quantum Of Solace: 90
Wall Street: 90

Do we know the various bitrates? Do you have the Pirates of the Carribean movies on Blu-ray. I know they have a reputation for having very high bitrate AVC encodes...

Do we know the various bitrates? Do you have the Pirates of the Carribean movies on Blu-ray. I know they have a reputation for having very high bitrate AVC encodes...

It's hard to tell. Depends on how joker454 measured it (at what moment in time). The average bitrate is provided below:

Source: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=3338

MPEG 2
Commando: 83 (24.65)
Payback: 85 (23.12)
The Transporter: 87 (18.82)
Into The Blue: 87 (17.32)

VC-1
Miami Vice: 90 (29.53)
Shoot 'Em Up: 89 (25.29)
300: 89 (16.83)

AVC
Die Hard: 88 (25.91)
Quantum Of Solace: 90 (28.93)
Wall Street: 90 (26.61)

It's hard to tell. Depends on how joker454 measured it (at what moment in time).

I tried informally on various scenes, but the activity on screen didn't seem to make a big difference in the measurement. So like in The Transporter, the car chase scene measured the same compared to when he was sitting there talking with the french cop. The numbers on the meter seem to vary +/- 1 watt typically, there wasn't much more variation than that.

Brad Grenz said:

Don't have that one alas.

Here are the photo comparisons...

10PS3_unboxing_slideshow_falcone_august19_2009_1_540x405.JPG

ps3slim-unboxing3-r9nbw-rm-eng.jpg

ps3slim-unboxing3-cxngu-rm-eng.jpg

Tommy McClain

I tried informally on various scenes, but the activity on screen didn't seem to make a big difference in the measurement. So like in The Transporter, the car chase scene measured the same compared to when he was sitting there talking with the french cop. The numbers on the meter seem to vary +/- 1 watt typically, there wasn't much more variation than that.

Don't you have a dev kit to measure CPU usage vs the actual bitrate ? ^_^
You should be able to see the bit rate by pressing the ^ key. Or is Blu-ray movie playback disabled in dev kit ?

obonicus and AzBat, the PS3 box is bigger because it has an internal power brick, and a more advanced optical drive. The 360 has an external power brick, and as a result, may requires less cooling too.

obonicus and AzBat, the PS3 box is bigger because it has an internal power brick, and a more advanced optical drive. The 360 has an external power brick, and as a result, may requires less cooling too.

No disagreement from me. BTW, the name is...

Tommy McClain

Here are the photo comparisons...

Tommy McClain

I know the difference in size between the consoles. I'm asking about the difference in size between the boxes they come in.

I know the difference in size between the consoles. I'm asking about the difference in size between the boxes they come in.

Gotcha, my Xbox 360 Elite box(bought last April) is 293mm x 317mm x 185mm.

Checked Amazon, they list the same SKU dimensions at...

151.2 x 88.8 x 140.4 inches

Might have the decimal in the wrong place.

The list the PS3 Slim dimensions at...

13.385"(w) x 13.385"(h) x 6.299"(d)

Not sure if any of those are for the system or the box.

Tommy McClain

Back