PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

The GPU and CPU are seemingly the same size, or is it the perspective of the photo? They must surely be different to account for the power consumption difference.

You aren't seeing the chips, that's just the packaging. The chips are MUCH smaller, I'm kind of amazed you didn't know this, unless you are looking at some other pics that I'm seeing.

You aren't seeing the chips, that's just the packaging. The chips are MUCH smaller, I'm kind of amazed you didn't know this, unless you are looking at some other pics that I'm seeing.

The size of the module is most related to the package type choosen and the number of pins. The RSX package still contains the GDDR3 modules as well.

Anyway we already know that it´s the Cell that has changed to 45 nm. RSX is still on 65 nm but will probably change to 45 nm next spring or later.

Doesn't look like it's a huge reduction in PCB size or componentry.
Because you're looking at a 40GB PS3's mb which is already reduced in PCB size & componentry ... Let's have a look at 60GB vs. 40GB ;

07111120mb9lx8.jpg

I'd like to see 60GB vs. slim side to side ...

As usual, if they sell their old unit used...
Or even give it away. Ironically unlike 2nd hand games, it's better for Sony then these people buying new units as long as the hardware is loss-leading. Every second hand PS3 is another user buying content (where the profits come from) without incurring the costs.

I am getting a slim and will be putting my 320gb HDD in it. What would I need to do to have the HDD work?

When I replaced the original 60gb HDD I just wiped everything off it backed up the save games and then restored them, since then I have downloaded probably 80% of all PSN games which I don't really want to do again.

Would the slim just recognise my content? or will I need to find a very large USB stick (lol) and back everything up?

And as I understand it, they are unlikely to get any smaller due to the pin density.

There is some evolution in that area, but Sony probably don´t have an urge to be cutting edge there, keeping a large cover plate for good heat distribution/cooling got its advantages as well.

There is some evolution in that area, but Sony probably don´t have an urge to be cutting edge there, keeping a large cover plate for good heat distribution/cooling got its advantages as well.

And as you said, they can do their little GDDR3 trick.

I took my old 40GB unit to Gamestop today and will be getting the Slim next tuesday! Great deal if you ask me. 80GB more space, a DS 3 and now the official warranty is boosted to two years! + more energy efficient. Old unit, two old games and 49€ is low for that if you ask me. I also pre-ordered and paid Uncharted 2 with two other old games + 1€.

As expected, Sony has done another great design of the internals of Slim. Everything is nicely putted together, especially that uber nice silent fan.

Im wondering if someone will do the count of all components inside the ps3 [launch version vs Slim]. Sony must have greatly reduced the number of parts...

I took my old 40GB unit to Gamestop today and will be getting the Slim next tuesday! Great deal if you ask me. 80GB more space, a DS 3 and now the official warranty is boosted to two years! + more energy efficient. Old unit, two old games and 49€ is low for that if you ask me. I also pre-ordered and paid Uncharted 2 with two other old games + 1€.

Why is the official warranty longer? Thought it was only 1 year with Sony...

Does somebody looked under the CPU packaging and confirmed that the cell is indeed a 45nm rendition?

Why is the official warranty longer? Thought it was only 1 year with Sony...

I don't know, but the Gamestop guy definately said it's now two years, at least in Finland and a other Gamestop employee, who has a thread everything related to Gamestop on a Finnish console site wrote that some time ago the warranty for PS3 was increased to two years. Maybe it's only because now it closely resembles the EU law.

European warranty on consumer products is generally 2 years, in almost all countries, as per law. Some manufacturers actually say you only have 1 year warranty, but what your national law decrees is valid regardless of that. Likely they now advertise with what they are required to do by law anyway.

Back