Darksiders,give it some love :)

ps360's analysis is over in the framerate thread. It seems like they properly set the maximum framerate to 30 (perhaps that pseudo v-lock we've heard about). The tearing is still there, but it's reduced by quite a bit it seems. :)

Grandmaster post seems to suggest that the tearing is a bit more than ps360's analysis. I'm waiting for his analysis, but I want to pick it up this weekend.

Al, how are you liking the game now that you've put a bit more time into it?

mm... I wouldn't call it a must-have as it's more of filler title for when there's nothing bigger out already to play. For a rather 'low-key' title, it does have some pretty neat character designs and animations IMHO. The action is decent with the store upgrades compelling you to fight on, but it's rather straight forward.

I'd give it a rental and a couple days of playing beginning to end. After that, I'm not really clear on replay value as it's basically a button masher in the end.

mm... I wouldn't call it a must-have as it's more of filler title for when there's nothing bigger out already to play. For a rather 'low-key' title, it does have some pretty neat character designs and animations IMHO. The action is decent with the store upgrades compelling you to fight on, but it's rather straight forward.

I'd give it a rental and a couple days of playing beginning to end. After that, I'm not really clear on replay value as it's basically a button masher in the end.

Thanks!

I may wait for a used version then. Not too many rental opportunities here--might check with gamefly to see if they ship here.

I don't think character designs is particularly interesting, but not bad though. The graphics on the other hand are bad and basic combat is a little disappointing but everything else (boss battles, environment design, puzzles, even the platforming and story) have been great for me and I played apocalyptic. In fact this is the best THQ published game I've ever played, definitely great game to start the year. Probably set the bar for GoW3. Awesome game overall.

Kudos to Vigil Games. Looking forward to what they will do next (on consoles).

edit: Great streaming engine too, practically no loading screens, all fast travel is through (most likely) procedural "tunnels", which I like as opposed to boring loading screens. But they should have put some small enemies or something there.

Umm.....If I have a choice b/n this and Bayonetta, what do you guys suggest?
I have played the demo of Bayonetta on th eps3, and it was a Blast ! Smooth, slick and awesome moves and controls.
I can't say anyhting regarding Darksiders as there's no demo :(.
GFX wise, even Bayonetta is bad, but one doen't notice when one is so busy pulling off one crazy move after the other . Is Darksiders GFX he same as Bayonetta PS3, or worse? or better?

Bayonetta. I have both and I find Darksiders to be frustrating in places and repetitive in others. The combat is also slow and awkward.

Umm.....If I have a choice b/n this and Bayonetta, what do you guys suggest?
I have played the demo of Bayonetta on th eps3, and it was a Blast ! Smooth, slick and awesome moves and controls.
I can't say anyhting regarding Darksiders as there's no demo :(.
GFX wise, even Bayonetta is bad, but one doen't notice when one is so busy pulling off one crazy move after the other . Is Darksiders GFX he same as Bayonetta PS3, or worse? or better?

Darksiders is probably a terrible hack and slash, but a great action adventure.
If the combat is the only thing you are looking for, Bayonetta is your answer.

As for graphics, though not great in Darksiders, definitely better than what I played in Bayonetta demo, as it should be considering the framerate difference.

I am more of an action adventure guy, but the demo of Bayonetta was too good. I don't think I will be able to finish Bayonetta OTOH as I am bad with hack nslash.
Hmm.... Dunno what to do :( !

I am more of an action adventure guy, but the demo of Bayonetta was too good. I don't think I will be able to finish Bayonetta OTOH as I am bad with hack nslash.
Hmm.... Dunno what to do :( !

Tell me quick...which one did you like more between these Zelda/Legacy of Kain vs DMC.
If its the Zelda/LOK then Darksiders is for you...if its DMC then its Bayonetta for you :)

uhhh.....I haven't played Zelda or Legacy of Kain, and I couldn't defeat the Bosses in DMC3 :oops: ! Do you get my profile ?
Can you give some other example for action adventure? I do love GOW but I don't know under which profile that falls into.

Game is OK.

I like the art and character, but I would consider the combat to be weak. The story, to me, is average and the camera could be much better.

If your game has an insert with codes in it, you can get Red Faction and a digital art disc for free (you pay ~$5.00 for shipping).

Much prefer Bayonetta overall, although I haven't finished the game yet.

Been playing the 360 demo and loving it so far..The gameplay mechanics are smooth and responsive.I didn't like the art direction at first but after awhile of playing, im starting to like it.The graphics are solid but not amazing.Personally speaking, this game is a must have for me as im having alot of fun with the game.It's a pretty good action-adventure game with good combat mechanics..Darksiders is definitely a sleeper hit of the year..

I didn't think I'd like the combat, and at first, I didn't, but as I get more weapons and abilities, it's turning out to be a lot of fun. I didn't think it would compare to GoW's, but so far it feels even better! It really isn't even slow, because you'll be doing a lot of dashing, and chaining together combos with quick-swapping weapons. Even the art style has grown on me, as I notice a lot of attention was paid to detail. It's a very good game, and I can't wait to play some more this evening.

Well it is 6 months later and I just picked this up myself. The tearing is pretty bad at spots but as far as gameplay goes this one is pretty fun. . .halfway between GOW of Legacy Of Kain as others have noted. Shamelessly lifts ideas from both but it is derivative in a good way.

As to the art direction, the game does well at maintaining the appearance of endless vistas which greatly helps immersion. I agree there is a lot of detail in these worlds and at times I wonder whether the art designers were huge metal fans? No shortage of death / thrash metal album covers lurking in this one.

=)

Other than the tearing, the only significant downer so far was a not so much fun flight segment.

At a <$40CAN price point this game seems to be a solid pickup.

On a side note, my local EB was out of new copies so I had no choice but to buy used.

Cheers

Yeah, Darksiders is definitely worth more love than it seems to have gotten. Fun gameplay, nice storyline, good characters, and great voice acting. One of the better pick-ups I've got in the last year.

Back