Darksiders,give it some love :)

A dev on GAF said they are working on a patch to reduce tearing on the 360 version.

I might have to sneak and buy this while my wife is not looking but with school starting again I might have to wait in the meantime slowly progressing through Demon Souls.

Someone mentioned similarities to Soul reaver and I pre-ordered it without seeing footage.

I watched the footage before ordering it, but I respect your stance. Long live Legacy of Kain series!
Yesterday was the first day I actually paid any attention to this game, and it looks fantastic, can't wait to get it.

The word on the street appears to be:
360 version:
  • Terrible tearing
  • Lower framerate
  • Better AA
  • More vivid colours

PS3 version:
  • Far less tearing
  • Better framerate
  • Bad aliasing
  • Washed out colours

I'm leaning to the PS3 version, but a dev posted on GAF that they're looking at patching the performance issues (which I'm assuming means tearing and framerate on the 360 version). So I am somewhat torn between the two right now. Lucky ( :( ) for me they're not selling it here just yet.

Both versions have some glaring issues but luckily those issues are going to get rectified via a patch.Honestly, get whatever version you'd like as im sure they both control great..Im leaning towards the 360 version since im an Achievement wench.Heck, I have 38 out of the 50 achievements for AC2 and im deadset on getting all of them...If you haven't played AC2 you seriously need to be buy the game as its amazing..Great mission variety, a multitude of ways to dispatch your enemies, a solid story with good looking animations and graphics..I've invested over 30 hours into the game.... :D:D

I have a 1 month Gold subscription if you need it Laa...Don't want ya getting left out when the patch gets released...

Oh, it's not that, you can even connect without a subscription - it's the wiring that I can't solve and I won't have wifi in my home either. But thanks for the offer ;)

Oh, it's not that, you can even connect without a subscription - it's the wiring that I can't solve and I won't have wifi in my home either. But thanks for the offer ;)

I find it frustrating that we now have to deal with Patches of games; I know they are a necessary evil but the good ol days of inserting a disc and playing the game seem like a thing of the past. I just recently hooked my PS3 back up to the internet (went over a year without it) and nearly 90% of my games needed some form of patch.

My question is how did the game get released with tearing issues? If they can solve this over a patch then why couldn't they have fixed the game to begin with. Don't want to nag but patches seem like a way for a game developer to decide if the extra effort into fixing the game is worth the cost of fixing it.

IF game A has issues, is released with mediocre sales then they can decide fixing it is not worth the cost.

IF game B has issues, is released with good sales then they can decide fixing it is worth the cost.

So just another way "we" the consumer are valued only on how much we consume; they have effectively taken away our power of being consumers. Now we have to EARN their loyalty; things certainly have gotten backwards in this world.

Yeah, and it's particularly annoying with Darksiders, a game announced in 2007 - they really did not have the time to find out about the tearing and fix it? Especially if it's as easy to do as that developer's post suggested...

I've been playing Darksiders for about a week and a half now so I've deffinitely had a chance to spend a decent amount of time with the game and I got to say I just love it.

I would have beaten the game days ago but I got incredibily sick and then went on a trip to Montana so that put a slight hinderance on my progression with the game.

There is a lot to say about Darksiders so feel free to ask away if you have any questions, but the short of it is that it's a crazy fun game! Though it borrows mechanics and concepts from Zelda, Gow of War, and Devil May Cry (and a few other games but I dont want to spoil anything) it still manages to stand on its own as a game--which really is the key here.

I think there might be a problem with some people having the wrong perception (or lack thereof) going into the game--they might be expecting Darksiders to actually be one of the games I listed above when it's not. Again, Darksiders manages to stand on it's own and feel mostly unique overall. One thing it most certainly is is an action/adventure game with heavy comic book influence, and I mean that in terms of asthetics, storytelling and overall design. I think it works really well for Darksiders because you can tell that Vigil set out to do this from the outset.

All the dungeons are exciting to play. If I recall correctly there are 4 or 5 of them and I'm currently on the last dungeon of the game, which I think the design is top notch. It's unique in concept, well thought out, makes you stop and think every once in a while and most importantly is fun to play.

I know this might set some of you off if I post my Twitter feed here, but there is a decent amount of DS info and I dont have time to pull it all and organize it in this post. So, if you want more info check the feed where I was Tweeting my thoughts on the game as I played it.

http://www.twitter.com/heymarkd

Oh, and riding Ruin (the horse) feels incredibly awesome. I love it! One last thing--the game doesnt really get going until about 1.5 hours into the game.

Yeah, and it's particularly annoying with Darksiders, a game announced in 2007 - they really did not have the time to find out about the tearing and fix it? Especially if it's as easy to do as that developer's post suggested...

From the dev's comment on GAF, apparently the tearing is much worse on TVs with lower refresh rate, which is why not everyone has experienced it.

We're working on the tearing issue and will have something out to the public very soon. TV's with higher refresh rates should reduce the amount of tearing (some to basically none at all), that's why people are seeing different levels of it depending on their style of tv.

Use one of those Ethernet-over-Powerline adapters. Works great in the places I've used it. Much prefer that over wifi, more consistent connection. You obviously won't get gigabit speeds (unless things have changed a lot in the past few years), but it's quite solid. That'll allow you to have a wired connection anywhere in the house.

Regards,
SB

I've been playing Darksiders for about a week and a half now so I've deffinitely had a chance to spend a decent amount of time with the game and I got to say I just love it.

I would have beaten the game days ago but I got incredibily sick and then went on a trip to Montana so that put a slight hinderance on my progression with the game.

There is a lot to say about Darksiders so feel free to ask away if you have any questions, but the short of it is that it's a crazy fun game! Though it borrows mechanics and concepts from Zelda, Gow of War, and Devil May Cry (and a few other games but I dont want to spoil anything) it still manages to stand on its own as a game--which really is the key here.

I think there might be a problem with some people having the wrong perception (or lack thereof) going into the game--they might be expecting Darksiders to actually be one of the games I listed above when it's not. Again, Darksiders manages to stand on it's own and feel mostly unique overall. One thing it most certainly is is an action/adventure game with heavy comic book influence, and I mean that in terms of asthetics, storytelling and overall design. I think it works really well for Darksiders because you can tell that Vigil set out to do this from the outset.

All the dungeons are exciting to play. If I recall correctly there are 4 or 5 of them and I'm currently on the last dungeon of the game, which I think the design is top notch. It's unique in concept, well thought out, makes you stop and think every once in a while and most importantly is fun to play.

I know this might set some of you off if I post my Twitter feed here, but there is a decent amount of DS info and I dont have time to pull it all and organize it in this post. So, if you want more info check the feed where I was Tweeting my thoughts on the game as I played it.

http://www.twitter.com/heymarkd

Oh, and riding Ruin (the horse) feels incredibly awesome. I love it! One last thing--the game doesnt really get going until about 1.5 hours into the game.

Playtime? Tearing [x360]?

For anyone who has the game, how would you rate the graphics? I've been watching some gametrailer vids and honestly felt underwhelmed by the blocky characters, not so flashy lighting and sparse environment. Maybe the game looked a lot better later on?

From the dev's comment on GAF, apparently the tearing is much worse on TVs with lower refresh rate, which is why not everyone has experienced it.

Yep, I'm really curious to see a fame-rate analysis on this one...well the 360 version has constant tearing which is worse when the frame-rate gets higher than 30fps - I just wanted to ask how a patch can fix this? can they lock the frame-rate at 30fps and leave v-sync off when the frame-rate will go lower than this? is that possible?

Playtime? Tearing [x360]?

I'm hitting 14 hours and loving this game. It's hard to tell how close I am to the end but I think I'll be there within the next 2-3 hours, but I'm not totally sure about that (could be longer). The tearing isnt as bad as some people are saying and I'm fairly sensitive to the issue. My Bravia isnt a 120Hz TV either.

Also, to answer some of the Zelda comparison questions (off the top of my head). Some may consider this info to be slightly spoilerish I suppose so fair warning to you:

• You eventually obtain a boomerage type weapon (it's more like the spinning blade from the movie Krull) that allows you to select multiple enemies (or switches) and throw it. It's an excellent assistant in combat and essential to dungeon puzzles.
  • You eventually obtain a hook shot type of device that pulls you to otherwise inaccessible parts of rooms and can be used in combat (example: pull shells off some enemies)
  • You eventually obtain a horse named Ruin. You can ride him and attack while doing so. He has a battle charge too. Love riding this guy.
  • The dungeons are laid out in a fashion that forces you to use your newly aquired weapon.
  • The world is layed out where parts are inaccessible until certain weapons/items are aquired.

That's all I can think of at the top of my head but that should most likely cover it.

I'm hitting 14 hours and loving this game. It's hard to tell how close I am to the end but I think I'll be there within the next 2-3 hours, but I'm not totally sure about that (could be longer). The tearing isnt as bad as some people are saying and I'm fairly sensitive to the issue. My Bravia isnt a 120Hz TV either.

Also, to answer some of the Zelda comparison questions (off the top of my head). Some may consider this info to be slightly spoilerish I suppose so fair warning to you:

• You eventually obtain a boomerage type weapon (it's more like the spinning blade from the movie Krull) (Also the main weapon in a game called Dark Sector) that allows you to select multiple enemies (or switches) and throw it. It's an excellent assistant in combat and essential to dungeon puzzles.
  • You eventually obtain a hook shot type of device that pulls you to otherwise inaccessible parts of rooms and can be used in combat (example: pull shells off some enemies)
  • You eventually obtain a horse named Ruin. You can ride him and attack while doing so. He has a battle charge too. Love riding this guy.
    [*] The dungeons are laid out in a fashion that forces you to use your newly aquired weapon.
    [*] The world is layed out where parts are inaccessible until certain weapons/items are aquired.

That's all I can think of at the top of my head but that should most likely cover it.

I don't particularly care for that type of situation, as it seems the only reason you gain a new ability or weapons is the sole purpose of being able to play the next level. I would rather see the next level playable and passable without the new ability but with it, it becomes more fun or more rewarding.

I like going through older levels/areas after I acquire new ability's/strengths just to see how much different the game play is. I don't want a developer taking my hand and walking me through a game, only giving me new abilities because that particular level or event required it. It never feels organic enough; like getting a high powered weapon in a FPS only when you are 1/2 - 3/4 through the game because you NEED it to continue playing. Basically its like your playing a game on one difficulty and then all of a sudden you get a new ability or somehow become stronger so the enemies become stronger at that very point as well.

DMC comes to mind as a game that didn't hold your hand that much when it came to new abilities/powers. Certain abilities were needed granted, however the player got to decide what attacks/weapons/upgrades he/she wanted to use to advance..they were not hindered that much if they didn't acquire Pandora's Box for example (although its acquisition was a scripted event).

Just a pet peeve of mine :D

I ended up grabbing this for 360 since I figured installing it would mean less loading while being quieter. I didn't really notice too much in the way of tearing or framerate issues, so possibly this is just a bit of internet exaggeration.

As to the game - I'm fairly early in (just got my
wings
) but I'm definitely feeling a Soul Reaver vibe to this game. I love it! SR was one of my favourite Dreamcast games, so it's great to be able to enjoy that feeling again.

The monster design is pretty awesome, too, while the animation is very good too. Everything feels a bit challenging but not off-putting. I'll be putting a few more hours into this over the weekend, no doubt.

OK, I'll take back what I said earlier about the game's visual after checking out some more gameplay vids, the variety in its art and cool design is starting to grabbing me. Gonna have to ride that Ruin after all.

Back