The Last Guardian (Trico, Ico 3, Shadow of the Colossus sequel, etc.) [PS4]

Actually the fur probably would look awful in 3D as it'd appear as a series of flat fins, instead of a 3D fluff.
It most likely will appear as layers in any decent resolution as there were only around 3-6 layers.
I would except them to change how they render some things, changing multipass effects to singlepass to save bandwith.

I wouldn't mind if they would release version of the games which would use engine and art from the Last Guardian.. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we know if the games actually did badly financially?
What i mean is, do we know whether they made a loss? Cause if they didn't, then all is well and we should keep seeing games coming out of this studio, albeit very slowly.
Then again i get the feeling that Sony would still support them even if the games made a loss, just because all the praise is a good thing. Plus i wouldn't expect these games to be the multi-million dollar variety.

IMHO the games were ahead of their time. Ico I think struggled but SotC did quite well, since those days there's been a snowball effect as people talked about them (much like why SotC did better than Ico - now I think these games are just perfect for the current market, I think they (and the new one) will do quite well indeed.

What are the chances that the effects will be reworked on the PS3? Things like fur and proper HDR?
On PS2 the fur was made taking advantage of the GS's strengths. Would that work properly on the PS3, when it is now relatively easy to do fur with shaders on the newer architecture? Same for all other effects which were made with multi-pass on PS2 but can be done with shaders on the PS3...?
Stupid question? To be honest, higher res and any AF/AA will go a long way to make the games look amazing.

WRT SotC, personally I thought the standard PS2 version played on the PS3 looked mighty fine...the one that needs 'fixing' is Ico IMHO - (from my poor knowledge) it's rendered at a really low resolution and caused all sorts of problems from basically looking exactly the same on PS3 (pixilated/blocky) to not being able to play it via component on PS2 - so there's no way to play a nice looking Ico (unless you have the PC emulator).

What are the chances that the effects will be reworked on the PS3? Things like fur and proper HDR?
On PS2 the fur was made taking advantage of the GS's strengths. Would that work properly on the PS3, when it is now relatively easy to do fur with shaders on the newer architecture? Same for all other effects which were made with multi-pass on PS2 but can be done with shaders on the PS3...?
That's a good point. PS3 doesn't play well with transparency. It'd be nice to get reworked assets. How did the PS3 GOW collection change from the PS2 version? Also Sony can drop in MLAA for instant improvements in IQ.

That's a good point. PS3 doesn't play well with transparency. It'd be nice to get reworked assets. How did the PS3 GOW collection change from the PS2 version? Also Sony can drop in MLAA for instant improvements in IQ.

I was just going to say - the GoW series wasn't exactly skint with transparency effects either.

Stupid question? To be honest, higher res and any AF/AA will go a long way to make the games look amazing.
My guess would be that at least their motion blur would be made in single pass, on ps2 it was several transparent polygons rendered on each other and RSX can render that easily in one pass saving tons of bandwidth.

Another thing that they might have to change a little is the LoD for backgrounds.
It was basically a terrain rendered into a texture and projected on low poly geometry on ps2 and the resolution of texture was insanely low.
This was one of the reason why the texture aliasing on mountains far away was not a problem, but on HD res the trick might be too visible.

I don't know, but if the PS3 can actually handle the transparency in a game like FFXIII in full-res (in case you haven't played it: it's a metric ton when 3 characters + multiple enemies start firing off spells like crazy) without any problem it should be able to cope with SotC, right?

I can tell from the picture the framerate was indeed improved. Commence pixel counting! :D;)

Mod: Party pooped :(

Not to be a party pooper, but I think it's against the rules to post scans.

Also, instead of making it a collection, they're selling it separately.
Kinda lame, but I'm still getting both :)

I don't know, but if the PS3 can actually handle the transparency in a game like FFXIII in full-res (in case you haven't played it: it's a metric ton when 3 characters + multiple enemies start firing off spells like crazy) without any problem it should be able to cope with SotC, right?

This...spells are a sight to behold in FFXIII.

Ouch. May impact interest. I wouldn't rebuy ICO on its own. It's too short for most folk IMO.

They need to integrate Move with SOTC, so you have to climb the monsters like the cameleon demo!

They need to integrate Move with SOTC, so you have to climb the monsters like the cameleon demo!
That would be awesome, just imagine holding on with the left hand and striking with the sword with a right one. :oops:
riding horse and shooting arrows, everything would fit nicely for a move.

Ouch. May impact interest. I wouldn't rebuy ICO on its own. It's too short for most folk IMO.

I dunno, depends on price surely...and it will look stunning.

Good spot on the Move support...just wow if it happened!

That would be ridiculous. They release GOW1&2 on the same package (don't know if it was the same disc), why on earth would they release ICO separately, when you can probably fit 100 ICO's in a Bluray disc?
Are they playing on the 'cult' status to make (marginally) more revenue?

Back