The Last Guardian (Trico, Ico 3, Shadow of the Colossus sequel, etc.) [PS4]

I don't want to know too much about the game. Hope to see the first boss though. They filed a patent about dynamic level, so this game should be puzzle heavy. Would be interesting if Ueto adds combat elements at the same time (so we have to think fast ;-))

I keep thinking about the Kronos level on GOW3 and i keep imagining what Team Ico will do... Brings a tear to my eye. They did the 'big boss-moving level' on previous generation hardware. They did effects that were 'impossible' to do on PS2.
I can't even begin to imagine what they'll do on PS3, because i'm sure that the trailer shows very little about the later stages of the game, which will be epic...

FYI: you may be unaware, but the word/expression "jap" is considered derogatory or a racial slur by some people. :)

Oh ! I am really sorry,then. I thought its just a short way to say japanese. No offence to anyone, I simply respect them for their discipline and simple way of life. :) ! ........and, of course, for all the wonderful games and movies they have givrn us. I hope they can preserve their culture in this age of being "badass" and doing drugs, and wasting money on everything unimportant to life ! We couldn't, I hope they do.

And BTW, SOTC in 3D, I think, will be AMAZING ! All that vast landscape and those towering Collossi in 3D would truly be a jaw dropping experience.

Too bad , me has no 3D TV :( !

Actually I just found an rather interesting comment on IGN:
Whilst I would consider myself something of a trophy hoare, I do worry that the inclusion of trophies in shadow of the colossus could ruin the experience.

The feeling of defeating one of the giant roaming the landscape was wrapped in guilt.. no reward, no congratulations.. just an eerie silence letting you know that you had murdered something natural.

A little trophy ping would completely destroy that feeling. I hope Team ICO implement there trophies with consideration.
I have to agree that this sounds scary.

A nice thing on the remakes is that there apparently is an effort in improving textures, as if this wouldn`t already be a must-buy ;)

I don't want to know too much about the game. Hope to see the first boss though. They filed a patent about dynamic level, so this game should be puzzle heavy. Would be interesting if Ueto adds combat elements at the same time (so we have to think fast ;-))

EDIT: Also wondering if the level is destructible. With a mythical companion like that, all the kid needs is enough tricks (in his inventory) to direct the creature -- even if they screw up the level. Afterall, we know it can swim, climb and fly (short distance).

I keep thinking about the Kronos level on GOW3 and i keep imagining what Team Ico will do... Brings a tear to my eye. They did the 'big boss-moving level' on previous generation hardware. They did effects that were 'impossible' to do on PS2.
I can't even begin to imagine what they'll do on PS3, because i'm sure that the trailer shows very little about the later stages of the game, which will be epic...

I don't think this game is about bosses or huge epic fights, at least there hasn't been any indication regarding it. From what we've seen so far it's more like ICO with a strong focus on platforming and puzzles with some encounters with small enemies like the dark mist creatures in ICO.

The Last Guardian has a powerful sidekick though. There must be something to counter it. Either an environmental trap, or a boss, or its own weaknesses (e.g., too wild to control), or all of the above.

EDIT: Okay, I take it back. It's possible to device a level to stump both the cat and the kid. :-/

Actually I just found an rather interesting comment on IGN:I have to agree that this sounds scary.

A nice thing on the remakes is that there apparently is an effort in improving textures, as if this wouldn`t already be a must-buy ;)

I agree ! I think trophies may be a distraction in atmospheric games. It's like giving a gauge to the griffin to tell us how it feels, and how to tame the creature... instead of letting us figure out what to do by studying the griffin's behavior/animation in the game.

Just make them all hidden like Heavy Rain did. Problem solved.

Thats an easy solution :) ! And it'll work too, without breaking the experience. I used to feel the guilt(?) when even though I would try to run away, the blackness would catch up with me and enter me. It was as if , " you can't justify that u just killed someone just because you want your girlfriend to live " I don't know if it was intended, but it sure felt bad after killing the beautiful giants.

Pretty sure it was intended. Maybe not to trigger that exact same emotional response within everyone, but at least something.

I probably would have felt similarly if I hadn't read so many people going on and on about it in great detail before I got to play it for myself. It just doesn't work very well when you finally deliver the killing blow, always with the thought in the back of your head that this is the moment where you're supposed to feel guilty or sad. I guess that's why Ico actually touched me more. Besides some raving review scores I knew absolutely nothing about that game before I started playing.

Bummer really. I'll try my best to go as unspoiled as possible into The Last Guardian. (most likely going to fail miserably at it)

Just make them all hidden like Heavy Rain did. Problem solved.
I dint even know that was possible, I thought it would be an automatic system "service" to annoy you with those. Frankly I hate them popping up... the only games where this wouldnt ne a nuisance are those that already paste your own actions on screen (DMC, Burnout)

I don't think this game is about bosses or huge epic fights, at least there hasn't been any indication regarding it. From what we've seen so far it's more like ICO with a strong focus on platforming and puzzles with some encounters with small enemies like the dark mist creatures in ICO.

All speculation at this point, but i think it will be a bit of a mixture of the two. ICO was 99% puzzles and platforming. SOTC was all about the bosses. I expect the new game to have a bit of both. With all that power under the hood, how can they resist temptation to make at least one level where you have to climb a huge colossus in order to kill it? :D

I dint even know that was possible, I thought it would be an automatic system "service" to annoy you with those. Frankly I hate them popping up... the only games where this wouldnt ne a nuisance are those that already paste your own actions on screen (DMC, Burnout)

By hidden I actually meant no description (trophy and achievements can be quite spoiler-ific). Every trophy (until you unlock it) in Heavy Rain appears as nothing more than a question mark. I don't know if you can disable the message when you unlcok one, though.

All speculation at this point, but i think it will be a bit of a mixture of the two. ICO was 99% puzzles and platforming. SOTC was all about the bosses. I expect the new game to have a bit of both. With all that power under the hood, how can they resist temptation to make at least one level where you have to climb a huge colossus in order to kill it? :D

Yap, I think he'll mix it up a little since it's common for a creator to consolidate his work after a decade.

The primary mechanics is the development of relationships between the two. The name of the game may suggest a third party. The Last Guardian of what ?

The eagle cat is still an infant from what's shown, so hope it grows into a magnificent phoenix / tiger looking adult at later stage. Would be awesome if there's an ecosystem with all the mega faunas roaming around and you can explore those vast landscape on your pet.

Famitsu interviews Ueto:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/17/fumito_ueda_on_last_guardian/

Director Fumito Ueda didn't share any new details on the game during Sony's press briefing, but he was more open during a subsequent Famitsu.com interview...

One notable point about the trailer was the cheerful music in the background. The team wanted to choose something unexpected when selecting the song, Ueda told the site. As the song was to be used just for TGS, they went with an existing song.

The reason for choosing this type of song, he said, was because everyone has been anticipating a sad ending for the game. Allowing such anticipation to continue may not be appropriate here because as a game that deals with the theme of animals, Last Guardian also has the concept of showing comical scenes and physiological actions from the Torico creature. The latest trailer attempted to depict these areas.

[Bugger's trying to pull a fast one on us]

"The inability to control is one of this game's concepts," said Ueda. "Not that you'll be totally unable to control things, but there will be some areas that you can't control. This connects with the game's reality, and also with the mystery of the game design."

Famitsu also asked Ueda about how the game has improved from when we last saw it. Graphically, he said, the game is mostly unchanged from the previous trailer, as this area of the game was pretty much in complete form at that time.

In contrast, movement has gotten a considerable brush up since our last glimpse at the game. Torico was previously only able to move in set movements. Now, it moves in accordance with the environment.

Regarding those environments, Famitsu noted that there seems to be very fine details, down to moths and other insects. Such details can be placed in the game due to a change in production style from Team Ico's past projects. For past titles, explained Ueda, a single artist would make an entire stage on his own. However, because of the more advanced technology in the PS3 allowing for greater detail and wider spaces, they had to toss this method aside. Now, the team makes use of LEGO block-like pieces. Doing things like this allows them to put details into areas where no one will even go, while still maintaining efficient production.

Ueto tweets about his disappointment:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/20/ueda_post_tgs_twitter/

On the afternoon of the 18th, Ueda wrote, "The chain of CEDEC, TV interviews, and TGS that has continued since the beginning of September has at last come to an end. To change gears, perhaps I should go watch a movie. Or maybe I should buy Halo Reach." (CEDEC is Japan's developers conference. Ueda gave a speech there where he casually showed something that might have actually been the PS3 version of ICO.)

In the end, Ueda did buy Halo Reach. He's apparently been playing campaign mode exclusively for now.

Ueda expressed disappointment at one area of The Last Guardian's Tokyo Game Show appearance. Late yesterday, he wrote "For the second year in a row, Torico has missed out on the Future Awards. Too bad..."

Finally, one little bit of non information about The Last Guardian. Are you wondering if Torico -- the creature the game (no one actually knows if that's the creature's actual name, though) -- is a boy or a girl? A follower asked Ueda this very question. Ueda's response: "Sorry, it's a secret."

Ueto interview with Dengeki:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/29/fumito_ueda_dengeki_interview/

Regarding The Last Guardian, Ueda said that he believes the Tokyo Game Show trailer was able to show realistic animal-like movements of the massive Torico creature. However, there are some areas where he's not satisfied with the variation, so he expects the quality to improve further.

As for gameplay systems and so forth, Ueda wouldn't share specifics, saying that there isn't anything he can promise at this point as the gameplay areas could be changing in order to improve quality and make the game more enjoyable.

Fans of Team Ico should be pleased with one particular comment from Ueda, though. He said that he's aiming for something similar to ICO, so there won't be any clear on-screen gauges, and the controls will be kept from being too complicated.

On the ICO and Shadow of the Colossus remakes, Ueda told Dengeki that the original plan was to just make the games HD, but progress was going better than expected so they felt that they could also add 3D support.

They were able to add the 3D support without any difficulty. They're currently making adjustments regarding how much to show things coming out of the screen and going into the screen.

Back