The Last Guardian (Trico, Ico 3, Shadow of the Colossus sequel, etc.) [PS4]

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/ico
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/shadow-of-the-colossus

They have a feel unlike anything I've experienced in other games. Team ICO are willing to go minimal. They avoid the Hollywood style BIG and go for a fantastic realism, that made the worlds more believable and involving for me (only experienced SOTC watching a friend for a bit). They're definitely something special, although I can imagine some players finding them very boring. In fact there's a low rated user review at Metacritic that suggests as much.

I'll add the gameplay mechanic of ICO is probably the most human content of any computer game. Extremely touching. 10 years later no-one's built on that.

I'll add the gameplay mechanic of ICO is probably the most human content of any computer game. Extremely touching. 10 years later no-one's built on that.

Couldn't agree more, at first the thought of having to "hold hands" throughout the game seemed a little childish but god did it work well.

You were an outcast, thought of as a evil thing because horns grew out of your head and your family and village left you to die near a mystical castle. Once inside you see a girl trapped in a cage and neither of you can understand one another. After freeing her from her cage you realize something evil is after her and the only way you can help her is to find a way out of the evil fortress.

I remember all of this and I haven't played the game since it came out!!! I've been playing videogames for a very long time and this remains one of my fondes memories of playing video games.

Starting the game unspoiled, not knowing what expect, discoveries everything for yourself does sound nice. Looking back at SotC, I knew quite a lot about it before I even played the game. What to feel when what happens, ect. It only took away from the experience.

Although it's going to be hard to resist any media that's released before the game.
I had a lot of spoilers myself for SotC, but only in terms of gameplay.. I knew nothing about the story. And actually playing the game was still one of the most epic and amazing gaming experiences I've ever had.

I really hope this PS3 re-release pans out (I was quite impressed with the GoW re-release), especially as I'm on a PS3 Slim now, so no PS2 compatibility. :(

Interesting:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ICO-Shadow-of-the-Colossus-PS3-PlayStation-3/15061046

ICO+Shadow of the collossus on PS3, although I fear the graphics of those games will hurt my eyes, I am curious to learn what buzz surrounding those games is all about!

I wouldn't worry too much. SotC at 720p with a bit of AA and a solid frame rate is going to be a really nice looking game. That game did a lot of stuff other PS2 games couldn't even dream about: self shadowing, realistic looking fur, motion blur, really advanced animation, some sort of tone mapping (is that the right term?) - just one damn looking PS2 game. The limited edition came with a couple of prints that were basically in-engine screen-shots, only at really high resolution. They still look really good. Then there's obviously the stellar art-direction.

The general art direction, combined with the music, the mood and other elements, is still quite unique and distinctive enough, and so it stands up well to the test of time IMHO. Looking at the game wouldn't make you think about lack of normal mapping or other graphical features, it'll grab you instead. Granted, it probably won't work for everyone but as long as they sell enough games to stay in the field it's OK with me.

Wow, lot's of praise for these games!
The time those games released, I hardly played my PS2 and I did not follow the consol gaming scene...so I just hope they release indeed those HD remakes!

Strange, if I remember correctly I once read that those games were not quite successfull in the financial department; and this with all the praise those games get?!

Strange, if I remember correctly I once read that those games were not quite successful in the financial department; and this with all the praise those games get?!
The first game, Ico, basically flew under the radar. No marketing to speak of, and a lot of people never heard of it when it came out, despite the critical reviews. It was ranked as "one of the best games you've never played". SotC did a lot better, since they actually advertised it, but it still had problems based on how radically different it was.. no one's really sure how to classify it. It did well enough for them to make a "greatest hits" release, but it definitely didn't sell like Halo or God of War or other big-name titles. There's a lot of people talking about The Last Guardian, though. I'll be buying it day one, of course, but I do hope that it sells well, if for no other reason than good sales will help get their next game greenlit. :)

Wow, lot's of praise for these games!
The time those games released, I hardly played my PS2 and I did not follow the consol gaming scene...so I just hope they release indeed those HD remakes!

Strange, if I remember correctly I once read that those games were not quite successfull in the financial department; and this with all the praise those games get?!

Yeah its true they didnt do well financially. They are unique experiences and thus hard to sell to everybody. To those that they appealed, the great quality and brilliant experience was greatly praised.

Its one of those cases where quality and numbers sold arent necessarily correlated unless you isolate the small market that they target.

Actually the fur probably would look awful in 3D as it'd appear as a series of flat fins, instead of a 3D fluff.

Back