Gods help me, I bought a Wii.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I did it, pulled the trigger and took the plunge. It'll be here next week in time for xmas.

I got raped on it of course, ended up paying $470 for a shipped base unit & another $90 for an extra controller/nunchuck/recharging station.

The only game coming is Wii Sports, I figure I'll have to pick up Rayman Raving Rabbids too and mebbe another title...what's some of the best/funnest two-player games for the Wii right now?

For two player, I'm looking forward to trying Trauma Center: New Blood. I really haven't played much two player cuz I live alone and I tend to go out rather than have people over.

You really should get Mario Galaxy. It's not two player, really, but it's outrageously fantastic.

How about that new Metal of Honor: Heroes game? It's only 32 player FPS with some of the best Wii controls. Mario Galaxy is another must have even if it's not true 2 players.

Sorry, forgot to mention that this is for my 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter. The only reason we paid that much is because we know how important it is to them for them to get a Wii this year.

Highland, Indiana in the USA. About 20 miles south of Chicago, if you look at the state of Indiana I'm literally in the upper-left hand corner of it. :)

There was a shipment of Wii's I found out about coming to a Fry's about an hours drive away, I was to call today to find out when it was coming in. When I called they said they weren't sure when they were coming, but the line had started forming two hours before the store opened... :???:

My colleague has got two kids of the same age (two girls), but I think they'll go for a PS2. I've let him borrow mine to test and they didn't want to give it back. ;) (And they didn't even get to try SingStar, though they did try EyeToy groove ... )

Point being, a lot of things are good enough for kids of that age. Mind you, I was the one who suggested the Wii and PS3 as alternative options. But I quickly realised that the PS2 is a great first machine for two kids of that age, and great for the parents too: tonnes of software (and hardware) available at very little cost.

But I'm suspecting that you sneakily bought this thing partly for yourself. ;) Admit it, you're still their age. In fact, you're so much their age that you don't realise that you're really just 14 and are lying to yourself that you're their age and you pretend you understand them. ;)

Nope, my kids have been after one for over a year now. They have a gamecube they love as well as their DSes and they've both been researching the Wii for a while and have decided that it is THE console for them.

I really am not getting it for myself, I don't enjoy consoles much anymore. Found that out when I borrowed a friend's X360, I just prefer sitting in front of a PC to sitting in the living room playing.

My colleague has got two kids of the same age (two girls), but I think they'll go for a PS2. I've let him borrow mine to test and they didn't want to give it back. ;) (And they didn't even get to try SingStar, though they did try EyeToy groove ... )

Point being, a lot of things are good enough for kids of that age. Mind you, I was the one who suggested the Wii and PS3 as alternative options. But I quickly realised that the PS2 is a great first machine for two kids of that age, and great for the parents too: tonnes of software (and hardware) available at very little cost.

But I'm suspecting that you sneakily bought this thing partly for yourself. ;) Admit it, you're still their age. In fact, you're so much their age that you don't realise that you're really just 14 and are lying to yourself that you're their age and you pretend you understand them. ;)

Arwin you have to much PS in your blood ;) The ps2 really isnt a viable alternative for wii for the reasons digi bought it (atleast, I think). Ps2 has a bunch of eyetoys games and singstar but that doesnt compare to what some games do with the wii remote. It really isnt a alternative.

As for the games, RRR is a good option I think, dont buy RRR2 that seems to be worse than RRR. Though you cant play with 2 people at the same time. Maybe also have a look at Mario and sonic olympics or MP8? I'm not so much in the wii party games. I dont know when Wii fit comes out in the US but maybe buy that when it comes out? seems it has some hard but fun games. There also are some bigger versions of wii sports coming out like that deca sports game but I dont know when they will be coming out but they seemed fun.

I did it, pulled the trigger and took the plunge. It'll be here next week in time for xmas.

I got raped on it of course, ended up paying $470 for a shipped base unit & another $90 for an extra controller/nunchuck/recharging station.

The only game coming is Wii Sports, I figure I'll have to pick up Rayman Raving Rabbids too and mebbe another title...what's some of the best/funnest two-player games for the Wii right now?

So in fact Sony was right : there is a market for a $500 console. :LOL:

You already have 2 Wiimotes, so Wii Play is maybe not an option (unless you want a 3rd remote). The mini-games in Wii Play are not meaty, but they make for some nice pick up and play sessions. Wario Ware has some quirky multiplayer modes. You will want SMG, of course, even if the 2nd player plays a lesser role (my daughter loves playing with the 2nd Wiimote while I control Mario). Resident Evil : Umbrella Chronicles has 2 players coop, but I'm not sure it's fit for your kids. Mario Party 8 has the benefit of a "meta-game" (the board) connecting the mini-games, but got pretty bad reviews overall. You may also want to consider Mario Strikers, it's pretty good from what I've heard.

:oops: I fear Christmas present buying when I have kids. Hope you enjoy it, maybe it'll break the graphics whore in you yet Digi!

Rayman is definitely a fun game for a quick bit of entertainment with a bunch of people, especially if some are kids. A group of friends and I have invented a bunch of RRR drinking games.

What games do they like on the Cube and DS?

Nope, my kids have been after one for over a year now. They have a gamecube they love as well as their DSes and they've both been researching the Wii for a while and have decided that it is THE console for them.

I really am not getting it for myself, I don't enjoy consoles much anymore. Found that out when I borrowed a friend's X360, I just prefer sitting in front of a PC to sitting in the living room playing.

Really? They've been researching the Wii themselves? Impressive! And obvious, by the way, if they already had a GameCube! In that case I take my words back. ;)

The two daughters of my colleague do have DS, and love their Mario, but this would be their first console. ;)

You do spoil them though! But hey, consoles do make kids smarter! Just as long as you also feed them some games that require a long-term investment, that is, because instant feedback that requires (too) little effort is bad. ;)

Well they're both pretty avid PC gamers too, so they get variety. ;)

They both love Rayman Rabbids on the PC & DS, I figure it for the Wii is a no-brainer. The most played GC game of theirs is Smash Bros, followed by Kirby's Air Ride.

Arwin you have to much PS in your blood ;) The ps2 really isnt a viable alternative for wii for the reasons digi bought it (atleast, I think). Ps2 has a bunch of eyetoys games and singstar but that doesnt compare to what some games do with the wii remote. It really isnt a alternative.
In terms of what these gamers are getting from Wii games and how they enjoy it and play sociably, I think PS2 is a viable alternative. EyeToy covers the motion gaming very well, even four players without a need for lots of controllers, plus the RealPlay games have launched for exactly that Wii experience (in hardware interactivity terms, though not sure it RealPlay allows two player Tennis for example), and at a lower price, while offering a huge variety of both social and party games and the other usual games.

However, PS2 won't be a suitable alternative for Wii due to brand image, just as 'an MP3 player' isn't a suitable alternative for someone who's set their heart on an iPod. PS2 hasn't managed to hold onto that mainstream fun box image, and now the public is educated that 'Wii = Fun' it'll be hard to re-educate them; which is something Sony isn't really seriously pursuing either.

Or maybe the Wii will continue to get new games based heavily on the aspects that are important to Digi's children? Personally I thought the suggestion of Playstation already after the purchase and for clear reasons was a bit... well... "PS in your blood" is a nice way of putting it.

Back