Gods help me, I bought a Wii.

digitalwanderer, I'm serious about Medal of Honor Heroes 2 for the Wii. If you can overlook the violence (it's only rated T though), then you actually have a game for yourself and your kids. The game has a simple on-rails shooter where they just point and shoot, nothing else. Then there's the traditional FPS gameplay along with 32 player online battles for those looking for more action. I honestly don't think it's very violent at all, but I was brought up on games like Contra. Back then, parents made a big stink about it being violent and had the game pulled from TRU.

When I lived with my parents they would usually spend between $750 to $1000 on each child (me and my sister). So $500~ split between two kids is doing very well if you ask me. My parents just now broke the $90,000 combined income mark, the best financial year of their lives. Of course the only other gifts in the year were $100 for birthdays and then somewhere around $20 to $30 a month with completion of chores. You wanted more? Get a job! I personally don't find this a issue, your children are hardly spoiled by one large gift a year. Your child becomes spoiled when you give in and purchase them something when they whine or complain.

I bought one for the kids two months ago, for MSRP... thinking ahead saved me some cash. Its under the tree now.

Im still a little confused about this whole classic game deal. It doesnt have an internal HD, so how do you save the games? Is there demos of new games you can download, like for the 360 and PS3? I guess the whole storage deal has me confused, but I havent really researched it any either.

I bought one for the kids two months ago, for MSRP... thinking ahead saved me some cash. Its under the tree now.

Im still a little confused about this whole classic game deal. It doesnt have an internal HD, so how do you save the games? Is there demos of new games you can download, like for the 360 and PS3? I guess the whole storage deal has me confused, but I havent really researched it any either.

flash memory.

I honestly don't think it's very violent at all, but I was brought up on games like Contra. Back then, parents made a big stink about it being violent and had the game pulled from TRU.
I taught my kid how to play GTA:VC at the age of 5 or 6. :oops: I have what I consider to be pretty liberal standards with what games my kids play and I stay on top of it as well as discuss it with them to remind them the differences 'tween games and reality.

I won't let my son play Bioshock though, I know it would give him nightmares. I won't let him play Bloodlines the Masquerade either because it's just too damned mature for a 10 year old.

I have no problem with letting him play SoF and giggling as he shoots the various bits off of people though. I'd rather a game show graphic results from gunshots than to try and sanitize 'em, I think by trying to make it look less violent they're sending the wrong message.

BTW- Flash memory? Do I have to get me some or does the base unit include some?

at the risk of asking a silly question, wouldnt getting destroyed on a large bundle of made more sense, like this one rathern then by online auction for the base unit? At least you get a few games, and if the kids didnt want them you could pawn them off to recoup some funds.

BTW- Flash memory? Do I have to get me some or does the base unit include some?

It has 512mb built in and I think it uses normal SD flash memory if you want more.

at the risk of asking a silly question, wouldnt getting destroyed on a large bundle of made more sense, like this one rathern then by online auction for the base unit? At least you get a few games, and if the kids didnt want them you could pawn them off to recoup some funds.

That bundle you linked isn't available until the end of January.

well why not of jumped on it while it was available? its too bad to see people get screwed so badly on something thats quite problably going to have its stock issues resolved in a month, two tops.

could also of used an RSS feed and a tracker

Last edited by a moderator:
A grown man should not buy a Wii for himself.

:LOL: Is the punt intended ?

Anyway, I have a friend who decided to wait. I am personally waiting for my kid to grow older before I buy a Wii to game with him. As long as it feels right from a family perspective, then I'd say it's a good buy.

EDIT: What I meant was the kids will also appreciate what daddy did for them: waiting in line, paying more than necessary to make 'em happy, etc.

well why not of jumped on it while it was available? its too bad to see people get screwed so badly on something thats quite problably going to have its stock issues resolved in a month, two tops.

could also of used an RSS feed and a tracker

I wouldnt bet on that. In the US the Wii basically has been sold out since its release. There wouldnt be such big shortages if nintendo could really resolve them in a month or two.

Took the final bit of the plunge this morning and ordered 4 used games from EB:

-Billy and Mandy's Grim Adventures
-Sonic Rings
-Tamagotchi
-Rayman Raving Rabbids (the first one, not the latest)

I figure that and Wii sports should be enough to last 'em through the day, shouldn't it? I decided to go for some cheaper titles until we knew what they really wanted, kids prefer a bit of quantity over quality on xmas I've found. ;)

-Sonic Rings
-Tamagotchi

I figure that and Wii sports should be enough to last 'em through the day, shouldn't it? I decided to go for some cheaper titles until we knew what they really wanted, kids prefer a bit of quantity over quality on xmas I've found. ;)

You're already pushing up the attach rate and you haven't opened the box!

-Sonic Rings
-Tamagotchi

Maybe also buy exite truck? thats pretty decent and it has 2 player. And ofcourse galaxy though you wont find that cheap probably.

Excite Truck, I think that was another bargain binner....thanks. :)

Nope, no full priced titles for Xmas. Sorry, I went over board on the system. :oops:

Exite truck isnt really aimed at playing with your wife but for kids im sure it will be fun.

Isnt trauma center a hard game btw? Not that I would buy it, I really dont like hospitals and anything that remotely has to do with them, they scare me.

Edit: Other games that should be in the bargin bin by now are the godfather, good game, looks crap though but the controlls work very well (beating somebody up with a baseball bat has never been so much fun, hardly any blood) and it has a good amount on content. Scarface, kinda like the godfather only in a scarface settings, more gore too I heard. SSX blur. I didnt like the controlls but some others seem to like it. Already heard some people picked it up online for around 15 to 20 dollars. RE4, if you dont think its to violent its must have. Endless ocean. Not really a game, just swimming around in the sea watching animals (you might learn something from it?), heard its a relaxing game. It went on sale for 30 euros here so you could probably shave of 10 in a second hand store.

Nope, I can't buy anymore until I man up and tell the wife what I've already done...I haven't even told her yet I bought a Wii. :oops:

THey can play their GameCube games on it, you can make Miis, and you can play Wii Sports. That should do it for now. ;) First game I'd buy after that is Galaxy (as they can coop play it), and then you should be able to spare yourself purchasing any games for a while I'd think?

Keep a very close eye on the new Smash Brothers game, too, Digi. That looks incredible, and features pretty much any character you could possibly want. Buy it for them, play it yourself :)

Back